Experts Raise Concerns Over Superhuman Workplace

HardOCP News

[H] News
Please, don't make me use that lame "with great power comes great responsibility" line. Damn it, I just did. :(

Performance-boosting drugs, powered prostheses and wearable computers are coming to an office near you — but experts warned in a new report Wednesday that too little thought has been given to the implications of a superhuman workplace. Academics from Britain's leading institutions say attention needs to be focused on the consequences of technology which may one day allow — or compel — humans to work better, longer and harder.

As long as I can have a Pod apartment and a saline/protein IV, I'm OK with that.

If someone could develop a cybernetic implant to help me calculate calculus and higher end mathematics in my head like a calculator while projecting those informatics to my retina in real time to my retina, I would do it.

If someone could develop a cybernetic implant to help me calculate calculus and higher end mathematics in my head like a calculator while projecting those informatics to my retina in real time to my retina, I would do it.

Nerd. :)

I'd do it, too. :cool:

Please, don't make me use that lame "with great power comes great responsibility" line. Damn it, I just did. :(

Howabout the US "technology" of "Social Security" that basically has been stolen from for decades, is completely bankrupt, and that all the forced participants born after a certain date simply will never see money from?

This will enable the superhuman ability to have to work until one drops over dead from old age...

Eff that! I already work hard enough as it is. Life ain't all about work.. Gotta have balance. Which is why I would vote for a 3 day weekend :)

well, unfortunately in this day and age, we want the best, cheap, and good performing, it takes alot of time, money, and people to make that happen, and alot of these are running thin in the neverending quest for the outlined, something has to give, and it seems technology not throughly thought out, will be that "price" we are all paying for.

Calling it right now
eFIfD.jpg

I have been waiting for this scene I was in high school. More for real time translating a foreign language but same concept.

Howabout the US "technology" of "Social Security" that basically has been stolen from for decades, is completely bankrupt, and that all the forced participants born after a certain date simply will never see money from?

This will enable the superhuman ability to have to work until one drops over dead from old age...

Also stop trolling, go some where else with that stuff.

Screw this! Too many people work too hard and long as it is. Not only that but a majority of people I would guess that work too long and hard at their job probably don't get paid shit for the work that they do.

If this is where the human race is heading I don't want to be apart of it. With the technology we have now a days humans should be working less all the way around as it is.

Despite what a lot of people think, I don't think its natural for people to have to work their entire lives for basically nothing at the end. How many people here know someone or are yourself someone that has worked all your lives, multiple jobs, busting ASS all day everyday and still can't manage to save money or afford a high quality of life? FUCK THAT SHIT!

I may not be rich, I may not be able to afford everything I want on a whim...but I work at a low stress job and make enough money (in my eyes) to live comfortably. Having had ass busting jobs in the past I have NO desire to go back to that shit what so ever. Maybe money isn't as important to me as it is to others, but I am of the mind that I would rather work less and get paid less and be able to ENJOY my life outside of work than those that bust ass for little pay who come home and do nothing but sleep or bitch.

Humanity as a whole seems to be going backwards instead of forwards on a lot of things recently. Religion, work, technology, money, etc.

Eff that! I already work hard enough as it is. Life ain't all about work.. Gotta have balance. Which is why I would vote for a 3 day weekend :)

Well if your really really really lucky your company will cut your hours to 30 hours a week so that you can be classified as part time so they don't have provide mandatory health care.

If this is where the human race is heading I don't want to be apart of it. With the technology we have now a days humans should be working less all the way around as it is.

I agree with this concept. But people liken productivity to worth. And everything in our life is based off value. So thus the less "productful" you are the more you are considered lazy.

Resistance is Futile ... You will be assimilated ... we are becoming the Borg ... what fun :( ...

of course they could just hardwire us all into Facebook to become "The Collective" too :eek: ... :p

"Performance-boosting drugs, powered prostheses..."

This ain't news! I used to work at a place where the secretary had these two things in her purse! The "powered prosthesis" took a couple of D batteries if you get what I mean... she took a lot of long lunch breaks... alone.... BUZZZZZZZZZZZ!

:p

Then they'll realize they can outsource the enhancements to foreign workers so that they can work 20 hours per day for even less money.

The more things like this come about the more the idea of buying a small home in the country and writing appeals to me. Perhaps I can write dystopian novels about corporate plutocracies and laugh and cry about how that would describe the readers lives. Or I could take the easy way out and write about sparkly vampires. Decisions, decisions...

So instead of your boss simply treating you like a machine, he could actually make you into one!

one step closer to the matrix, silly humans you brought this on yourselves muahaha...........fml

If I lived in a corporate sponsored commune where all my basic living needs were met I could focus most exclusively on my work. As it is now family and household responsibilities distract me from what I do at the office. Life had become too complicated and bullshitty.

Well if your really really really lucky your company will cut your hours to 30 hours a week so that you can be classified as part time so they don't have provide mandatory health care.

Would this be less of a problem if there was a public healthcare system available? So the situation might different in say Canada (I think they've got public healthcare).

"Performance-boosting drugs, powered prostheses..."

This ain't news! I used to work at a place where the secretary had these two things in her purse! The "powered prosthesis" took a couple of D batteries if you get what I mean... she took a lot of long lunch breaks... alone.... BUZZZZZZZZZZZ!

:p

Lemme guess, it was also made of carbon and could easily be mistaken as a rod too.

Screw this! Too many people work too hard and long as it is. Not only that but a majority of people I would guess that work too long and hard at their job probably don't get paid shit for the work that they do...

People will willingly get augmented in order to compensate for the costs they incurred in car payments and home loans they pick up for stuff they can't afford. It's not so much that some evil entity is making people work harder for no reward. It seems like its more because individuals are too stupid to manage their expenses in a realistic way against their income to have fun and save for what-ifs and the future. For instance, most people really could continue to live okay without a $100 dollar a month mobile phone bill but they get the thing, never do anything useful or important with it, and continue paying for it and upgrades for years. On the other hand, someone who's 19 years old that starts saving the same $100 a month in reasonable investments can have a million dollars laying around when they stop working. So, either pay $50,000 over your working life to send some text messages and surf the web at workies or pay $50,000 over your working life to have a million dollars of monies laying around (seriously, plug the numbers into an interest calculator because the math actually works out). Most people pick the phone because they're morons.

I don't see any reason why we should blame anyone but ourselves if we end up made mostly of metal parts and electronics while taking tons of pills in an attempt to be more productive to pay for our own individual lack of foresight. Even I know this stuff but people 3x my age can't figure it out. It gives Skribbels a dim view of humankind. :(

If I lived in a corporate sponsored commune where all my basic living needs were met I could focus most exclusively on my work. As it is now family and household responsibilities distract me from what I do at the office. Life had become too complicated and bullshitty.

So in other words, you waqnt to work at the Foxconn plant in China? :confused:

If I could sleep less than 8 hours a day I would. 1/3 of my life spent just laying there.

Even though caffeine keeps people alert longer, I don't know that it's making them more productive. Every one procrastinates and wastes time at work, regardless of energy level.

We need to define exactly what we mean by "productive." Spending months upgrading all office computers to Windows 8 may be time consuming, but in the end you have not really produced anything new for society. You're just spending more time maintaining what's already developed.

Just this morning i spent more than an hour re-configuring some of the syntax highlighting styles on my Notepad++. Was it very exiting due to my coffee euphoria? Yes! Did I appear very busy working on something technical? Yes! Was my work creating anything of value to society? Nope.

Even I know this stuff but people 3x my age can't figure it out. It gives Skribbels a dim view of humankind. :(

Surely age has not so much to do with it. I had a dim view of humankind when it was still just a concept on the proverbial drawing board. Observing human history has altered that view from dim to pitch black. What positive contribution to the universe as a whole has the human race made? Can anyone answer me why the universe is somehow better off with mankind than without?

Back