Expert Says Many Broadband Meters Are Inaccurate

HardOCP News

[H] News
I was actually going to complain about this until I realized the most frequent error is under reporting. :D

While Internet providers look more toward capping data usage and penalizing customers for overages (even though it’s becoming less expensive to provide this service), one expert says many devices used to determine a customer’s usage are not sufficiently accurate.

Well, this sounds like if they are going to use these tools, they had better be accurate - states make sure scales and gas pumps are accurate and if they are bad, they are taken out of use. If they start going in the favor of the ISP, you should complain the the Dept. of Weights in Measures in your state.

Well, this sounds like if they are going to use these tools, they had better be accurate - states make sure scales and gas pumps are accurate and if they are bad, they are taken out of use. If they start going in the favor of the ISP, you should complain the the Dept. of Weights in Measures in your state.

They're probably just tell you that it's not a physical weight or measure, so they don't handle it. Then they'll forward you on to the FCC. The FCC will tell you that they don't have jurisdiction and will forward you on to the FTC. The FTC will inform you they don't handle that and will forward you on to the provider who will inform you that the measurement is accurate.

:)

They make it sound like we have a choice if they will cap the data? I know most have only one choice for an ISP. I guess we can choose not to have access, or wireless/cell, which is capped much lower ;)

I already knew my ISP's meter was inaccurate because I have had to download about 17 of my steam games again recently which was a little over 108 GB. My ISP showed my data usage for that day as 3 GB. Not that I am complaining, it was pretty nice.

I already knew my ISP's meter was inaccurate because I have had to download about 17 of my steam games again recently which was a little over 108 GB. My ISP showed my data usage for that day as 3 GB. Not that I am complaining, it was pretty nice.

Part of the problem with measuring IP traffic, is that the equipement can't always keep up during heavy loads, so the traffic ends up being under reported.

So, if you mainly download during peak usage times, you won't be as likely to hit your cap :)

It's possible that they're only measuring traffic that leaves their network, and Steam's CDN is within the ISP network. OTOH, this would probably approach being reasonable, and would be unlikely to happen from an ISP with caps. (Unless you're in Australia; it's usually just a cap on leaving the island, if Steam has a CDN node within Australia, then you're set)

They're probably just tell you that it's not a physical weight or measure, so they don't handle it. Then they'll forward you on to the FCC. The FCC will tell you that they don't have jurisdiction and will forward you on to the FTC. The FTC will inform you they don't handle that and will forward you on to the provider who will inform you that the measurement is accurate.

:)

I guess that would be true - plus I live in a heavily GOP state and businesses are always right and people/consumers are in the wrong because businesses will always do what's right

If an ISP is going to measure and charge you for something, they should use calibrated devices. Just like if you take a breathalyzer or "many" power meters are calibrated. Anyone can make a fake scale if you don't regulate scales.

Of course, we could always just not regulate data consumption :cool:

about wireless, just go with WIND for $40 and get unlimited talk/text/data plus a shiny new smart phone

I guess that would be true - plus I live in a heavily GOP state and businesses are always right and people/consumers are in the wrong because businesses will always do what's right

Sounds more like Liberal state to me. Big Brother knows best, Nanny Gov. won't steer you wrong! ;)

You're lucky.
I live in a heavily Democrat state, where they keep raise taxes and so heavily regulate business that many of them are leaving.

Because businesses working to make a profit is so terrible that they are so wrong to promote sales taxes and other methods of raising taxes for the entire state. It's better that they be regulated out of existence or forced to move elsewhere. Like California.

They can always take their business to Utah or Texas. They're welcome with open arms.

What are you rolling your eyes at? Would you rather they tax business so heavily and regulate them so much, that they can't even try to do their purpose for existence (making money)? Hope you enjoy not having any businesses, better hope Momma Fed is generous to you, until they run out of money that is...

I'm not a broadband expert, and I think data metering is nothing more than greed, and a bind on innovation.

As one who has had to deal with billing this stuff, it's a royal pain in the &#*$. I would believe any error would err on the side of underbilling you.

Why the hell does every [H] news thread turn into a political debate? Sometimes I wonder if I stumbled on a fox news article comment section or something.

Comcast says I only used 5 gb last month. pretty sure I used close to 1 TB because I completely ignore the data cap anyway.

A 108gig download could be seen as 3gigs of usage when you consider download AND upload (depending on how you get it) plus other smaller things done throughout the day.....everytime you "refresh" a particular page, it adds up....plus whatever youtube videos there are, email, online games.

A bunch of stuff that isn't even given a second thought.

How are they possibly going to get away with giving us data caps when joe schmoe is starting to get used to watching netflix in hd all day?

How could they possibly win this battle with 4k streamining imminent?

What are you rolling your eyes at? Would you rather they tax business so heavily and regulate them so much, that they can't even try to do their purpose for existence (making money)? Hope you enjoy not having any businesses, better hope Momma Fed is generous to you, until they run out of money that is...

I was rolling my eyes at how much stupid his comment was. I was not rolling eyes because i agreed with it. I'm not sure how you got that.

Back