Experimental Self Driving Car Stares at Pedestrians

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
The notion of sharing the road with self driving cars makes a lot of people uneasy, but Jaguar-Land Rover believes that bringing some humanity to autonomous vehicles could change that. The car manufacturer is testing a self driving pod with "virtual eyes" in a mock urban environment. By mimicking eye contact and other visual cues human drivers use, the pods can effectively communicate the intentions of the car, reducing the risk of accidents while making pedestrians and other drivers feel safer.

See for yourself in the video.

Pete Bennett, Future Mobility Research Manager at Jaguar Land Rover, said: "It's second-nature to glance at the driver of the approaching vehicle before stepping into the road. Understanding how this translates in tomorrow's more automated world is important. We want to know if it is beneficial to provide humans with information about a vehicle's intentions or whether simply letting a pedestrian know it has been recognised is enough to improve confidence."

Reactions: dgz
like this
This is actually pretty cool.

Just watching the clip, the amount of data or understanding of intent you naturally process, with no explanation, is fascinating.

On the one hand, it looks really creepy
On the other hand, it looks like a really functional idea

IMO, I think they can achieve the same functionality, while not being so creepy, if they used "robot" looking eyes.

tumblr_mlqdddISyc1qcp4aro1_500.gif

Just realized it. Autonomous vehicles will be the mass surveillance of the future. They will be everywhere and will all be online pushing-pulling data.
Orwell just rolled in his grave.

Needs voice notifications instead. That crossing was totally unrealistic, she wasn't a phone zombie.

They just need to put an equivalent of brake lights and turn signals on the front of the car. The whole eye ball thing is an example of over engineering of a simple problem.

Just realized it. Autonomous vehicles will be the mass surveillance of the future. They will be everywhere and will all be online pushing-pulling data.
Orwell just rolled in his grave.
Think it'll just be one more addition to the ever growing surveillance network. It's not like smart phones, Windows 10, Google and Facebook are already all over it.
Add in millions of CCTV, facial recognition, licence plate scanners and (eventually) municipal drones and it's got the potential to make Orwell look like Disney.

China seems to holding an advanced screening of that particular movie.

Just wait till this stuff gets wide-spread:
A New AI That Detects “Deception” May Bring an End to Lying as We Know It

Last edited:
So our robot Overlords will be able to eye fuck us as they drive by the battery farms; good, good.

Think it'll just be one more addition to the ever growing surveillance network. It's not like smart phones, Windows 10, Google and Facebook are already all over it.
Add in millions of CCTV, facial recognition, licence plate scanners and (eventually) municipal drones and it's got the potential to make Orwell look like Disney.

China seems to holding an advanced screening of that particular movie.

Just wait till this stuff gets wide-spread:
A New AI That Detects “Deception” May Bring an End to Lying as We Know It
Sure but this thing combines so many at once (CCTV, facial recognition, license plate scanners). Doesn't cost anything like millions of CCTV or drones do. Is in every neighborhood, alley, underpass etc...

Its nice, and i can appreciate it, but its more like looking at a sock puppet or some shit... I mean i guess we can anthropomorphize anything... I rather not in some ways. It does have the front brake lights so that's neat.

Sure but this thing combines so many at once (CCTV, facial recognition, license plate scanners). Doesn't cost anything like millions of CCTV or drones do. Is in every neighborhood, alley, underpass etc...
Yep... It does cost a lot of money.. Its just financed by the people being surveiled... So... Yeah... Hmmm..

So before the car decides to run over you, it can glare at you just to further substantiate your inferiority.

Yeah, that glare that says, "Go ahead, I dare ya, make my day!".

Back