Experiencing data corruptoin on long shut down periods.

d4nnn

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I have been experiencing data corruption on my OS drive after long shut down periods. (want to conserve power?)

What usually happens is if I shut down my computer for what seems to be more than 12 hours, the moment I turn it back on a few programs will crash on the startup. If I leave it off for longer, programs will keep crashing even after trying to open them, and I will get a BSOD I believe stating.. "Page fault in non-paged area" or something to that extent.

I've run chkdisk, error checking and memory tests and all come back stating that the hardware is fine.

I've sinced changed to AHCI and removed my raid array.

I would like to note that leaving on the computer has zero problems, and restarts are fine as well.

All windows updates.. all up to date drivers as well.

Here is my setup:

AMD Phenom II x4 945
Biostar TA880GB+ (05/24/2010 bios)
PSD34G1600K Patriot DDR3 2x2gb 1600mhz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460

Intel 80gb SSD x-25m (ssdsa2m080g2gn) OS drive SATA
WD 1.5 TB WD15EARS-00Z5B1 (storage) SATA
WD 2TB WD20EARS-00MVWB0 (storage) SATA
Samsung 1.5TB HD154UI (storage) SATA

HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L (blu ray player) SATA

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

What usually happens is if I shut down my computer for what seems to be more than 12 hours, the moment I turn it back on a few programs will crash on the startup. If I leave it off for longer, programs will keep crashing even after trying to open them,
I can't read that sentence. Could you rephrase it so we understand what you mean?

Shutting down your computer takes 12 hours? Once you 'turn back a program' the computer crashes on STARTUP? I thought you were shutting it down. If you "leave if off for longer"; i thought it was ONLINE and RUNNING. In other words; this text totally confuses me, which may be why you have had no replies yet.

Run prime95 blend test for 5 hours, you are not stable.

If you overclock, absolutely make sure that your PCI-Express frequency is set to 100. If left on auto, it will increase with FSB overclocking and probably result in hard drive corruption or worse.

I can't read that sentence.

i think he means that if he shuts the computer is off for more than 12 hours, programs wont run when he turns it back on. unsure about the second sentence lol.

the "page fault in non paged area" usually means windows is looking for some data in memory that isnt there, or is corrupted. this could be due to failing or unstable RAM, unstable overclock, etc. it could also have something to do with heat, but i only say this because it only happens when the computer has been off for long periods of time.

i would run prime95 for a while just to see if you are stable. but i would put money on it erroring out within a few minutes. is this computer overclocked at all? if yes, now is a time to either dial it down, or completely return all settings to stock.

then i would boot into the recovery console off a windows CD and run chkdsk /r
the " /r" switch is a more in depth scan, and its better to run it when the drive isnt in use by teh OS.

after that i would run memtest from a boot CD. what confuses me is that you say it doesnt do all these things when the computer is warm and running for long periods of time. this would suggest a failing hard drive or some hardware problem. if you can read the SMART data for the drives and post it here it may be helpful.

@olavgg

I shut down computer via shut down button on start menu.

@sub.mesa

Scenario #1
-Computer is off for 12 hours (the time actually can be lower, but the general idea is that if more time has passed the more likely data corruption has occured)
-Turn on computer -> programs crash/don't run.
-After a restart programs are fine

Scenario #2
-Computer is off for... greater than 12 hours.
-Turn on computer -> programs crash/don't run then after a few minutes blue screen
-Run check disk to find bad sectors, but eventually windows won't run stable anymore

Usually a reformat fixes it.

@Nightbird

This is not an overclocked system, and the motherboard has some pretty shitty options, but I'll check on the frequency when i get home.

I will also do some prime95 as well, sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tips Nightbird

@ghost6303

I've done hardware diagnostics on the harddrives and the ram, and both are fine.

As stated above, the system is not overclocked at all, but I will look into manual settings in the bios in case the computer settings are fluctuating during operation.

I'll take a look at using the chkdsk on the windows cd, that actually sounds like a good idea too. Thanks for that.

How do I access SMART data for the drives?

Just finished Prime95'ing, and I had no errors with 4 workers going. :\

Back