Experiences with Amazon Wireless?

pyr02k1

Limp Gawd
I wanted to see what people thought of it and get a feel for what it shows. I'm tired of Verizon really. Overall, it hasn't been a bad experience,. But at $145 for 2 lines, after employer discounts, its getting old.

Wanting to switch to Sprint for 3 lines (2 Android phones, 1 BB) and Sprints site wants something like $790 up front and they dont allow me to apply my employer discount from what I could see. The phone cost on sprints site was absurd as well at something like $400 for the same 3 phones that Amazon shows for $20.02.

I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with signing up for a new contract with AW and what it showed on steps 1-3 vs what you paid at the end came to. Shows me $219/mth for 3 lines, before the employer discount is applied. Should be $168 for all 3 after the discount. What was your out the door vs what it showed?

I'm switching because Verizon wanted to charge me $400 for 2 upgraded phones, plus another $100 for the 3rd phone, and they said it would be an extra $40/mth after the discount for the 3rd line.

tl:dr version... Verizon wants too much money, sprint wants too much via their site, is AW going to charge me $700 like Sprints will or will it just be what I'm seeing ($300)

I have plenty co-workers buy phones for a penny on Amazon Wireless and also get a $20 app credit on top of that. So essentially they earned $19.99 from Amazon. So I'm certain that their experience with Amazon Wireless has been great. (None of them has returned or has to fix his/her phone either)

I've had nice experiences with them. One thing you have to be aware of is there is some turn around time if you decide to not keep the phone and return it (it has to be shipped). Returning your phone does not cancel your service. You have to actually call your carrier that you signed up for after amazon receives the phone and then they can cancel you w/o an etf after they've verified amazon received the phone.

Other than that you get the phone cheap and fast.

why go to a physical store? people are shady, them reps are just too desperate to make their quota so they will sell you crap you don't need, even mess up your account.
I rather do everything online where i have a record that i can print.

Those "shady" people can also give you your corporate discount, which online wont....atleast from how i understand the OP

why go to a physical store? people are shady, them reps are just too desperate to make their quota so they will sell you crap you don't need, even mess up your account.
I rather do everything online where i have a record that i can print.

I have plenty co-workers buy phones for a penny on Amazon Wireless and also get a $20 app credit on top of that. So essentially they earned $19.99 from Amazon. So I'm certain that their experience with Amazon Wireless has been great. (None of them has returned or has to fix his/her phone either)

The app credit didnt really sway me, but amazons customer service does. Knowing if I have a problem with the sale itself or the phone being a dud that i can not only get someone on the phone, but have a refund in place within a few days... thats always nice

I've had nice experiences with them. One thing you have to be aware of is there is some turn around time if you decide to not keep the phone and return it (it has to be shipped). Returning your phone does not cancel your service. You have to actually call your carrier that you signed up for after amazon receives the phone and then they can cancel you w/o an etf after they've verified amazon received the phone.

Other than that you get the phone cheap and fast.

I already know what phone I want, so it might work out fine... at least I hope.I have a feeling I'll pickup a photon, evo shift and blackberry though. so the $20 just went up to $100.01 :) Still, a nice dual core tegra setup running a custom rom with 4g sounds like something shiny...

Why get a contract? Get a mvno and save a bundle.

any good ones you know of? the only one i know of off the top of my head is virgin. The other problem is I want 4g, but ill have to stop in to a nearby sprint store and see if they have 4g running on the phones there. if they dont, and the verizon store does... guess ill just be paying a premium and staying on verizon. ive heard they have it local by work (which is fine, i can use wireless and home), but ill have to check.

Those "shady" people can also give you your corporate discount, which online wont....atleast from how i understand the OP

it only applies to the month to month portion of it. the first payment for the phone cost would be around the same. i can call and have my discount applied and they'll credit the months previous if i show being employed during the whole time with the same company. the stores can give me a good deal on the phones, compared to the site... but amazons site beats that by a long friggin mile. example i can give is the vzw site wants $249 for the thunderbolt, after $50 upgrade credit (bastards dropped it by $50 it seems) its still $200. the vzw store would go as low as $150 with the credit. a 3rd party retailer would do it for $89 after the credit... AZW wants $0.01.... so by a mile, amazon will win on the phone price, which will far outweigh any costs saved on the first payment done in a store.

Its funny though when you see that. VZW site wants $299.99 ($249 after NE2) for a Droid Charge, AZW, $0.01. verizon reps offered $250, 3rd party offered me $189, both after NE2. BB 9930 was $199 on VZW, $139 in VZW Store, 3rd party was $79, all after NE2. AZW is still $0.01... i sent a friend into the store the next day to see about a new contract price on the phones and they offered her the same price as my price with the ne2. so the upgrade credit is crap really. I've only got 2 weeks until my contract is up for VZW anyways, so I'll either renew or switch to sprint (I figure, the phone I'll get will probably have 4g in any case, so I want to see what ones have it running locally so I'm not just throwing away the extra cash). I have a feeling though, it'll be smarter to just do a new contract rather then renew (we did that last time as they wanted to charge us out the ass for the phones on a renewal. a new contract cost nothing extra, and the phones were a crap ton cheaper then a renewal)

The only thing I would be careful with amazon is if you get your employer discount applied after signing up you might get charged a $250 phone discount fee. I would check with them first. I know when I was shopping around for a droid x I wanted the $15 data plan but all the 3rd parties offered was the $30 data plan. Amazon wireless was the only one that wouldn't charge you this $250 phone discount fee if you changed the data plan after signing up.

Last edited:
thanks for the warning. ill probably give them a call tomorrow when i wake up and see what they say.

I got corporate discount, and yes you can get it online its just easier at the store, hell that is why they get paid for, if they are really that bad i'll give them a $10 as tip.

I ordered my Atrix from Amazon Wireless. My first bill was standard, but corporate discount is now applied to my acct, after I went to the ATT site I did not get charged the phone discount fee.

You can just add it on later. The phones are generally cheaper on amazon wireless so no corporate savings there. You really just need it for the monthly fee savings.

The only thing I would be careful with amazon is if you get your employer discount applied after signing up you might get charged a $250 phone discount fee. I would check with them first. I know when I was shopping around for a droid x I wanted the $15 data plan but all the 3rd parties offered was the $30 data plan. Amazon wireless was the only one that wouldn't charge you this $250 phone discount fee if you changed the data plan after signing up.

No, they don't charge you a fee for adding your discount. They charge you the fee if you change plans.
For example, I wanted to get a phone as an individual line and then add it with my wife's account to create a family plan. That would trigger the $250 fee because the plan changed.

Back