Experienced opinion about ASRock motherboards

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by GustavoWoltmann016, Jan 1, 2017.

1. GustavoWoltmann016

GustavoWoltmann016 n00bie

I am currently using ASUS MB, and have used GIGABYTE one in the past. Not sure about ASRock.

Any user with their opinion ?

2. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardForum Junkie

I owned a Z170 Extreme 4+ and found it to be a great board.
    Much better value than the equivalent price MSI that I had before. (only bought that because when Skylake emerged there wasnt a lot of choice)
    The ASRock has proper LLC. This is why I replaced the MSI, it didnt have LLC.
    Overall better experience, a very nice bios too.
    (difference between the 4 and 4+ is a front USB 3.1 panel)
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Extreme4+/

It does everything very well except memory overclocking.
    Be sure to get memory that is on its compatibility list, then you will have a chance of a free boost.
    I didnt and could barely run my ram at default speed (Corsair LPX ddr4 3000).
    If you want a good memory overclock you need to buy a higher end board that has more layers on the PCB.

GSkill Ripjaws V (not IV) is very widely compatible and some have seen major overclocks. If Ihadnt bought so early, I would have got this but it wasnt released in the UK at that time.

3. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

Used an ASRock X99 Extreme4 for about 3 months before it died on me. First the Ethernet port went bad about 2 months in, and another month in the board stopped powering on.

Normally I would just say "alright, I'll just call up CS and get the board RMA'd." Nope, they don't do direct-to-the-customer CS, just through vendors, so if your vendor can't help you, you're stuck with a paperweight, which is what happened in my case.

It was a $200 lesson not to buy ASRock again.

4. pendragon1

pendragon1 2[H]4U

I haven't used asrock in quite a awhile but I remember the build quality just wasn't as good as most other brands. the features were there but they just felt really cheap. ive seen several people here and there complaining recently about really bad board flex.

5. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardForum Junkie

My board was as good quality as the best I have used.
    However, if those support issues are true...

6. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

ASRock lists the support/RMA terms on their website, and I figured what the hell I'll send them an email anyway to see if they could help, and no one replied. It's been a few months, so I'm not banking on hearing back.

7. DTN107

DTN107 2[H]4U

They seem pretty solid. I have 5 ASRock board and one went bad.

RMA process requires that I upload the receipt from newegg rather than a simple fill in the box "date ordered and where".

Turn around times is about just the same as ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, and any big name companies which is roughly 1-2 weeks.

As of now my top three choices are Asus, Gigabyte, and ASrock. Though I been favoring ASrock since they seem to have more features at lower prices (speaking from ITX mobos).

8. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

That's weird, they don't have any RMA forms on their site, it's all email. How long did it take for someone to get back to you?

9. DTN107

DTN107 2[H]4U

Not long at all. You create your account through your case number and from there you can upload the image of your original order. From the same spot it also provides update on your RMA case as well as the tracking number.

Edit:

Actually I was a bit wrong. I did e-mail them the image of my original order of the motherboard. From there, they added to my RMA case.

Overall though, I have no complaints with ASrock and put them on my A-list.

10. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

Hmm, I'll give their support request form a shot and report back.

11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones [H]ard|Gawd

I had an ASrock AM3 880G solid board, just suffered from vdroop. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, however more than likely I would buy another Gigabyte board.

12. LigTasm

LigTasm 2[H]4U

I've had a lot of ASRock boards in recent years, and their RMA support was the best I've ever used for a motherboard when I had a PSU pop and kill it. In the past they are dirt cheap in both price and quality, but they have a lot of very good products out now. They are similar to MSI in that you can get some really low end stuff if you want to burn something up, but the mainstream and better boards are quite good and usually well optioned for the price.

I find their UEFI/BIOS easier to use and more friendly than Gigabyte and MSI, but slightly worse than Asus.

13. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

I use an ASRock mITX FM2 board in my HTPC, plenty of bios options and the board has been rock solid stable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another from them.

14. lukart

lukart [H]Lite

Same boat as some of you guys, had plenty of MSI mobos in the past. They were pretty good but recently thats not the case.
    Building plenty of rigs for friends and myself I decided to give Asrock a try as they generally are good value.. never looked back ever again, great price / features, plenty of overclocking options!

15. xLegendary

xLegendary [H]Lite

Asrock Z170 OC Formula here, running almost 24/7 overclocked for almost a year... no need to say more :D

16. DJS4000

DJS4000 Gawd

i used a socket 939 asrock board in my main rig for about 4 years and then in my server for another 3. rock solid, stable, no complaints and good price. would recommend.

17. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

A family member has my old ASRock x58 Extreme 6 motherboard and my wife's computer is now sporting my old ASRock x79 Deluxe 6 motherboard.

I haven't had to RMA any boards to them, but I did have an issue where a BIOS chip would not flash past a certain version, so I ended up ordering a new BIOS chip directly from ASRock.

The BIOSes used to be not nearly as feature packed as say ASUS or Gigabyte, but they have been making good headway in that regard.

As far as reliability wise, I would put them up there with Gigabyte and way better than ASUS. That is with my personal experience of not having a Gigabyte board go bad in the last 7-8 years and having multiple ASUS boards flake out and/or completely die on me.

But Gigabyte boards have always had weird "revert your overclock to default settings" for no reason because it thinks the overclock failed or the CPU was changed.. or whatever. You'll just power it up one day and it may or may not give you a message saying so. If it doesn't, the only way you will know is if you notice the system being slower than normal or if you go into the BIOS it will pop up the message. My newest Gigabyte board is an x58 UD5, so maybe they have fixed it by now. All I know is that the same exact thing was preset on my P45 UD3P LGA 775 board which is still kicking in a family member's computer. The same thing was present in even older Gigabyte boards. And it NEVER seems to get fixed via BIOS updates.

18. Aluminum

Aluminum Limp Gawd

I have many asrock boards: they are the goto OEM for 1P xeon workstations and I prefer their design choices in itx layouts as well. For a server/2P I'd go supermicro but for a workstation asrock hands down. Their current UEFI implementation is pretty slick too.

They always seem to be the first to support the more obscure/high-end/enterprise things even on consumer sockets: VT-d and confirming it worked, bifurcation, full x4 m2 etc etc. Years ago back when asus was telling people dumb shit like "linux unsupported" on their WS boards, asrock was posting videos confirming VT-d was not just "enabled" but their bios code actually worked with it: worlds apart in attitude.

19. jimbob200521

jimbob200521 Limp Gawd

My server currently runs an Asrock X58 Supercomputer motherboard and before it was re-purposed to be my server, it was my daily driver desktop. It had an i7 920 OC'd about 600mhz in it for quite a while at that time and now an i7 965EE lives in it. Never had any stability or compatibility issues, except one. I added 4tb drives to it and since the BIOS is not UEFI, it wouldn't recognize them as the proper size (a limitation which is not the fault of the board). Windows saw and is using them properly, but the BIOS doesn't. I'm only retiring it and selling it off soon because I want to go for a much more power efficient server. I also have had a few other Asrock boards over the years and none have ever given me a problem. Asus is my top choice by far (brand loyalty and all) followed by Asrock. Then probably Gigabyte.

20. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

I've used a z97 fatality, fm2 extreme6, am3+ 970 extreme3, and a mITX 3150 quad core atom board. Never had any issues with them. Only board I had an issue with was a z77 extreme3 that wouldn't run memory at rated speeds. RMAd through Newegg and bought a different board.

21. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Limp Gawd

I've assembled probably... 80+ machines with ASRock motherboards now. Which sounds like a lot, but Gigabyte was our previous go-to brand and I've done probably 200+ of those. ASRock has been just as reliable, though I can't say I've had contact with their support process; if one of the boards dies for us, it's not worth our time to RMA a $120 board, we just replace it.

In general, they are less expensive than what we bought before, and sometimes have better layouts or add-ons like better NICs.

22. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

Asrock is an interesting brand. I used to be a big fan because they were neat nifty toy boards that had features and functionality a lot of board in the 939 era didn't have like DDR2 aaaaaand DDR3 slots. One of teh more famous ones had an expansion slot for switching between a 939 processor and a 940. The problem was always the build quality. The vast majority of their boards were thinner and had crappier capacitors than other PC enthusiast boards.

I eventually stopped buying them for family & friend builds because if they burnt out I was the first call made. After ABIT and a few others got sued most companies switched to better capacitors but ASrock last I checked still uses questionable wafer.

One thing [H] likes to point out in reviews sometimes is how heavy and solid a board is. You can feel when you lift a board that its not gonna crack in half under minor weight. A board should feel weighty like a .45. You'll more often than not see the cheap budget boards look as if they could fall apart if you accidently slotted them in with a tiny bit of force. That said I recall Asrock being a brand [H] was impressed how well it handled overclocks despite noting they were literally afraid to handle it too roughly like a think piece of glass. I'd avoid Asrock unless its one of their very well reviewed highend boards.

If youre looking at cheapo $50 Asrock boards youre gonna get burned. Just carefully read through reviews and I think you'll be ok.

23. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Not necessarily. Been selling sub $60-$75 ASRock boards (AMD FM2/FM2+) for a while, only had one croak and that was due to customer playing technician and killing it.

24. sinisterDei

sinisterDei Limp Gawd

$50 boards now are not $50 boards from 10 years ago. The basic quality and stability level of motherboards has equalized a lot in the past decade, at least in my opinion.

10 years ago, I read motherboard reviews with an eye for performance and stability. Now, I consider those things both baked in and entirely controlled by the chipset unless something has gone horrifically gone wrong with the BIOS or something. Motherboard reviews now, for me, are about extra features, board layouts, interesting form factors, etc.

It reminds me a lot of the auto industry in that way. In years past, cheap cars were *cheap* in every sense of the word. Now? Even cheap cars can be pretty nice, and *all* of them come with decent warranties.

I don't know if anything has intrinsically changed in either market, or if it's just perception on my end. For the computer market, I think there's something to it though- I think in the past 10-15 years, a lot of the companies that couldn't build a stable product if their life depended on it have either improved, or gone out of business.

25. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett HardOCP MasterChef Editor Staff Member

Some of ours have been great, some have been shit. ASRock will not sample HardOCP any more.

Rvenger likes this.
  26. KarsusTG

KarsusTG 2[H]4U

I though ASRock was a sub company of ASUS. Or something like that. I have had some pretty good ASRock boards and some not so good... For the most part I think they have good and bad generations of boards like everyone. I would not buy one of their boards if I was going to push an OC, but for just a cheap/mid range rig to do work and light gaming I would if it had good reviews.

27. Rvenger

Rvenger Gawd

I can echo Kyle on this Had good and bad and I think price point is a big factor with ASRock. I bought the X99 Taichi and my personal opinion it is better than Asus' X99-A by a long shot.... and cheaper. 8 Layer PCB too and heavy as a mofo.

Now my Z87 Fatality board was absolute @#$%^&*.