Experience with Win8/Server 2012 on Mac?

markt435

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone try these out on their Macs yet? I probably wouldn't bother if I wasn't a tech. Kind of have to learn it for the sake of others. Boot Camp drivers are shoddy. Some work, some don't. Gonna guess we won't see an update to Boot Camp for some time...

I've been running windows 8 on my mid 2012 13 inch macbook pro in a parallel's vm. Runs fine and the multi touch track pad works.

i have mine running in boot camp on mid 2012 mba.

cannot access boot camp control without doing a fix or a workaround. all drivers seem to install fine. have one audio driver not installed, but i have the cyris (sp?) driver installed and sound works.

the issue with bcc is it cannot run as administrator and that is its default when installed on win8. so you can create a standard account to access the options or run a script (which i cant remember) that does the fix for you.

everything else is ok, all programs work for me, but i see a noticable battery usage drop.

I would just run them as virtual machines. You can start with VirtualBox for free. I've run Server 2008, Windows 7 and Windows XP on an internal network at the same time for training purposes.

Works great in a VMWare VM for me on my 2011 27" iMac.

Windows 8 Runs good in Vmware for me. Just disable your hot corners on your mac if you use them. I keep having the screen saver kick in trying to get to the charms...

I gave up trying to run Server 2012 on mine. Lots of issues with getting things to work. Ended up taking a Zotac AMD Fusion HTPC I had laying around and threw it on there. I just remote into it now from my Mac. I didn't realize how well it would run on such a low powered machine. Probably a combination of the SSD I threw in there and the extra RAM. Hopefully once driver issues get sorted out, I can finally install it on my Mac as a replacement for 7. It really does work well as a workstation. :)

Back