Expensive case (Silverstone TJ10) to last me 5 years - feasible?

ayqazi

n00b
Hi,

I was all set to buy a Silverstone TJ10, having convinced myself that I'd never need another case again, and therefore the investment would be sound. Then I thought, "but what happens when the ATX form factor is replaced, or newer motherboards or coolers come out that end up being slightly different to what's out there today? Will it still be useable?"

If I don't have to buy a case again for 5 years (so that's about 3 CPU/motherboard upgrades) I'm satisfied. But it's too expensive if I have to, say, buy another case in 1-3 years. Then I'll just get an Antec P182.

What I'd like to know therefore is, how often have you guys found yourselves having to buy a new high-end case to replace your old one?

Thanks

Well. Unless BTX or some other standard becomes dominant. There is no reason why such a case can last you 5 years.

The form factor becoming obsolete isn't a reason people upgrade their case

A case will last you as long as you want it to and people only really change cases because
  • they need more room for advanced video cards as we saw a lot of for the 8800 series
  • down sizing
  • just want something better looking
  • or for cooling reasons

I had my last case for 4 years and plan on having this one for much longer

Just pick one that you like the look of, has decent cooling features and room for a little expansion and you're set for a long time.
Nothing's really going to change that will render your case incompatible so don't worry about longevity.

My case was manufactured 4 years ago and it ain't going anywhere for a long very time. My friend is still using a Chieftec case that he bought in 2001.

I want the TJ10 so bad, but I just can't justify it. Maybe I should take my components out and let my original CMStacker have a little "accident". Ya' know, roll down the stairs or something.

Knowing the quality of the Stacker though it would probably survive unscathed.

To your point about The case lasting you 5 years, that is very reasonable. I have had the stacker for at least 3 or 4 years now and plan to have it for at least 3 or 4 more.

Just to show how it can be done, just look at my case. I'm still keeping it after switching to watercooling but I will do a mod with the cutoff top of a 2nd WaveMaster to get some space for the radiator ;)

Back