Exhcange 2k3 bad mail folder

delemorte

Gawd
I run exchange 2k3 on a 2k3 server. I have been going thru some logs and such as my disk space has been eatin up lately. I noticed i have a Badmail folder of about 3 gigs. Seeing how this should not get above 100 megs i thought i might take action.

I have tried the scripts from microsoft and some third party ones as well. I even tried to simply rename the folder and delete but every thing get hosed when i try to delete this file. I suspect windows has a hard time working with a single directory with so many entries in it.

Any suggestion from the group on how i can delete this directory?

Oh and i even tried to browes to the directory via dos and tried a del *.* and it still just hosed. not hosed as in system froze just as in it seemed to sit there for a while and did nothing. I had to close out command prompt.

thanks

Did you shut down all exchange services and then try to delete them?

You also might want to try logging in via the recovery console (you'll need your OS CD ready) and delete it from there.

Try deleting them with the command prompt. Yes, Windows will take a while to display a directory with numerous files in it through the GUI. I had a directory once with over 3 million files in it. It took almost an hour to display the files through the GUI.

2k3 still has that folder. I did try to delete via a command prompt and it still hung. Per someother forums they said to rename the directory and to recreate it then you could delete the old directory of which i have done. However i have not tried to do it with all exhcnage services off. Ill try that.

If you allowed to dismount the Information Store then you can rename the folder, create a new Badmail folder and remount the store. Then delete the renamed folder.

Or if dismounting is not an option you can goto a cmd prompt - cd into the badmail directory, and type del *.* and then check back later. It will run until all the files are gone.

ok this is old as hell but i was just able to solve this issue.

Nothing worked until i did this.

I disabled the recycle bin and disabled confirm notification on delete.

then i simply right clicked on my renamed bad mail folder and hit delete. (renamed becasue i had created a new bad mail folder so i coudl deal with this one)

Ok it has been going for 4 days now. it is making progress but since it was almost 6 gigs of bad messages that makes for a whole lot of entries to delete.

thanks to all that inputed

Back