Executing a .run file

Phazedplasma

Limp Gawd
I have a UT2K4 demo i need to install on my redhat system, although i dont know what the usage is for the .run extension.

thanks

are you talking the file extension?? I've had to rename files at my work .run to get them to bypass our filters... try renaming it back to .exe

Run "chmod +x FILENAME" and then execute "./FILENAME". That's all it takes. I think you can also just do "sh FILENAME" but I'm not sure.

IF you need to know what a file is type

file THE_FILE_IN_QUESTION

there is a high chance that that *.run file will return info such as a BASH-script.
*.run files tend to be a SH-script with the tail filled with binary info (SUN:Java do the same)

just do sh FILE.run

don't listen to the guy ranting about changing it to .exe, .exe's don't belong on *nix machines

Whatsisname said:
just do sh FILE.run

don't listen to the guy ranting about changing it to .exe, .exe's don't belong on *nix machines

lol for starters the person that mentioned that was the OP.

also if he wants to change the extention to EXE he can if he wants, wont change the functionality of it in any way since *NIX is deteched from file extensions pretty well (only reall useful for the Desktop in associating with an icon)

Whatsisname said:
just do sh FILE.run

I clicked on it from the front forum page.. heck I didnt even realise I was up here in penguin land

then the OP edited his post before I saw it, he had no mention of anything remotely pertaining to renaming a shell script to a .exe.

eeyrjmr said:
lol for starters the person that mentioned that was the OP.

also if he wants to change the extention to EXE he can if he wants, wont change the functionality of it in any way since *NIX is deteched from file extensions pretty well (only reall useful for the Desktop in associating with an icon)

The UT2k4 binaries are shell-script executables. Just "sh filename.run" and it will take off and install properly.

the other suggestions about figuring it out via "file filename.run" also work, it would probably tell you it was a "Bourne shell script text executable".

Back