Exchange Server and Changing our IP address

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
We recently change our ISP and in the process got a new public IP address. We updated everything that we needed to with our Domain registrar. We can send and receive email fine, but there are few email addresses that we send to now that we are getting blocked by their domain.

There are 3 email domains that are blocking us now, when before we could send to them just fine.

Anyone ever run into this? If so, anyone know the fix?

call those domains i spose..

who had that IP address before you ?

public ip meaning static or dynamic? if its dynamic u will have some problems, if its static make sure the reverse dns is working correct or check out the spam list

public ip meaning static or dynamic? if its dynamic u will have some problems, if its static make sure the reverse dns is working correct or check out the spam list

the IP address is not listed in the spam lookup.... All DNS and etc are set up correctly.. We can send and receive from everyone but, aol.com, bbmfg.net and ll.com. (we can receive from these domains, just can't send...)

We have customers at those email domains we now can't sent to.....

[BB] Rick James;1031724583 said:
the IP address is not listed in the spam lookup.... All DNS and etc are set up correctly.. We can send and receive from everyone but, aol.com, bbmfg.net and ll.com. (we can receive from these domains, just can't send...)

We have customers at those email domains we now can't sent to.....

Sounds like those places have closed door policy on their inbound firewall/filter. They need to open your new IP address and let your stuff through.

[BB] Rick James;1031724640 said:
How do you get them to do that?

Usually, you don't. What you can do is configure Exchange to use your ISP's mail server for outgoing mail. It's called Smart Host, though I can't remember exactly where the option is. I had to do this with an office that was on Mediacom's network, even though they were on a business plan with a static IP. Mediacom doesn't differentiate between business/residental IP address, so the outside world thinks every IP on Mediacom's network is a residental account, thus they block mail from those IPs.

MS help page on Smart Host.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821911

Back