Exchange Server 2007

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
So we have Server 1 (SVR1) which is currently hosting our email AND is our domain controller. I've set up a new server which will act as our domain controller and file storage and lets call it SVR2.

Right now SVR1 is our domain controller, email, VPN server and file server.

I'm taking SVR2 and making it our new domain controller, VPN server and file server leaving SVR1 just for mail.

SVR1 right now is staticed with our public IP static'd into it. When I static SVR2 and give SVR1 a private ip address (10.0.0.2 for example) what needs to be done in exchange when I make these switches? Exchange doesn't need to be running on a box with a public IP does it?

The make matter worse, the company wants SVR2 to act as a router, which is no big deal but as we all know having Windows act as your router isn't the best scenario.

What I'd like to do is get everything behind a router, forward traffic to the appropriate servers and be done with it.

But the powers that be don't want that. So, if SVR1 (Exchange Server) is behind SVR2 which will be handing out private addresses, what will need to be done on the Exchange Server to keep getting email?

**Edit. Also forgot to add we are running Win2k3 64bit servers and the public IP address that we have might be changing....So the public IP on SVR2 will be different from the one that SVR1 had.

just gotta forward smtp and POP traffic to exchange... and it works fine and dandy

just gotta forward smtp and POP traffic to exchange... and it works fine and dandy

Right. But we are using the hub tranport service on our exchange, so it's looking to Server names. Right now it's looking to the server it's sitting on to get all incoming mail. It's not looking at port necessarily. If we change servers don't we need to have the hub transport service on the new server as well?

Dont you need to run the exchange 2007 edge service on a separate server to the ones hosting the rest of the stuff ?

(without the edge server say goodbye to intenet email!)

You must have one hub transport somehwere to be able to use exchange 2007, and if you want external email you would require an edge server on the network somewhere. You do not need a seperate ip address just for mail, you only need the smtp ports forwarded onto the server recieving mail.

Dont you need to run the exchange 2007 edge service on a separate server to the ones hosting the rest of the stuff ?

(without the edge server say goodbye to intenet email!)

You must have one hub transport somehwere to be able to use exchange 2007, and if you want external email you would require an edge server on the network somewhere. You do not need a seperate ip address just for mail, you only need the smtp ports forwarded onto the server recieving mail.

Nope, you can run Exchange 2007 on one server.

I'm in the process of migrating from Exchange 2003 - 2007 right now - there are some articles on Microsoft that show different scenarios and what your to-do list is.

2007 and 2003 can coexist peacefully - then just migrate the mailboxes one at a time, change the SMTP port forwarding and lastly, retire the Exchange 2003 box.

I'm not sure how easy it is to do an in-place upgrade from 2003 to 2007.

Also, SSL settings are a lot more granular (and more difficult to setup) in 2007 - if you want your OWA website to be mail.yourcorp.com and your server to be svr2.yourcorp.com, you have to do some extra steps (unlike 2003). AWESOME article on SSL settings with Exchange 2007

In order to save money, you can even use selfssl to generate your own certs - your users will just need to install it on their computer.

I thought u need an edge server to have external mail (if your entire exchange forrest is 2007) :confused: ?

Dont matter anyway, where i work we use exchange 2003 with office 2007 on all desktops and terminal servers, I dont see any need in changing systems until windows 2008 is out and out of bugs and when Vista is out of bugs, then we will start upgrading (it was hard enough convincing my boss to get office 2007, it was only until he actually used it that he realised that it was a big step up from 2003)

I thought u need an edge server to have external mail (if your entire exchange forrest is 2007) :confused: ?

Nope

Dont matter anyway, where i work we use exchange 2003 with office 2007 on all desktops and terminal servers, I dont see any need in changing systems until windows 2008 is out and out of bugs and when Vista is out of bugs, then we will start upgrading (it was hard enough convincing my boss to get office 2007, it was only until he actually used it that he realised that it was a big step up from 2003)

Wait till you see OWA 2007 - it'll blow your mind!

Back