Exchange + Outlook Problem

six_storm

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys. I need some help from those who know Exchange and Outlook. I have a client who just got a new PC and he is trying to get his Outlook connected to the exchange server via Small Business Server 2003. He can access his email via OWA (Outlook Web Access) and his cell phone, but Outlook always gives this error:

"The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this transaction."

People in the same office can connect via Outlook, but he can't. His settings are correct via his Outlook accounts and his domain account on the server has the same permissions/credentials as everyone else too. Can anybody help?

basics... can he ping the server ?

remove/readd his profile in outlook

When your entering the server name and mailbox name, does it resolve to the correct info when doing 'check name' button ?

When your entering the server name and mailbox name, does it resolve to the correct info when doing 'check name' button ?

Can't remember to be honest. I'm working on it remotely and I can't get in right now, that guy has left work for the day and I'm about to leave as well. I'll get back on tomorrow so if you guys have any tips or things to look for, post them here and I'll answer them tomorrow morning. Thanks guys.

Hey guys. I need some help from those who know Exchange and Outlook. I have a client who just got a new PC and he is trying to get his Outlook connected to the exchange server via Small Business Server 2003.

Is this PC connected to the lan or is it remote? How did you join it to the SBS domain, with the connectcomputer wizard or did you manually join it?

Is this PC connected to the lan or is it remote? How did you join it to the SBS domain, with the connectcomputer wizard or did you manually join it?

That's something I was thinking too (possible bad machine account), but I wanted to see the answer to the ping question first.

Delete the machine account from the server and then rejoin the domain.

Reset IE and the Windows firewall to defaults too (some users like to tinker).

Setup his account on another machine temporarily to see if it's the machine or his account.

If you find it is something on the new box, you could try Ghosting an image from a like machine that's working. Since it's a new machine, he shouldn't have much on it yet. That's cheating I guess, but it may be the quick fix.

EDIT: If this is a laptop, make sure the modem isn't set as the default internet connection.
Does IE work?

Alright guys. I talked to a co-worker that worked on this problem before me and here is what he said:

1) From the guy's laptop, he cannot ping or tracert past the gateway, to say Google. However, he can go anywhere on the Internet.
2) He tried resetting passwords, recreating mailboxes, etc.

So today, I'm going to call over there and remote into someone else's laptop to check their settings and see if they can ping past the gateway. Apparently this issue is on this guy's laptop. Any suggestions?

Pigster said:

Not real sure, we were not responsible for hooking his laptop up to the domain, or at least I don't think we did.

Alright guys. I talked to a co-worker that worked on this problem before me and here is what he said:

1) From the guy's laptop, he cannot ping or tracert past the gateway, to say Google. However, he can go anywhere on the Internet.
2) He tried resetting passwords, recreating mailboxes, etc.

So today, I'm going to call over there and remote into someone else's laptop to check their settings and see if they can ping past the gateway. Apparently this issue is on this guy's laptop. Any suggestions?

Not being about to ping or traceroute isn't that surprising, as many firewalls will block this.

Check and make sure whatever virus protection he is running is not blocking the data. I once had this problem on my home pc and it took me a while to figure out. This was via SMTP, but it sounds he might be connecting directly with an office to office VPN. If this is the case, have you tried connecting through POP3 or IMAP(assuming they are configured) to see if there work?

Not being about to ping or traceroute isn't that surprising, as many firewalls will block this.

Check and make sure whatever virus protection he is running is not blocking the data. I once had this problem on my home pc and it took me a while to figure out. This was via SMTP, but it sounds he might be connecting directly with an office to office VPN. If this is the case, have you tried connecting through POP3 or IMAP(assuming they are configured) to see if there work?

Yeah, I was going to check the firewall settings. The only way Outlook is configured on his laptop is through "ZeroConfig"? Basically, the settings and the mailbox is already set up, just opening Outlook for the first time downloads the settings and mail automatically.

Sorry, I'm not real familiar with Exchange but I'm getting some good experience with it. I need to ask around and see how they are physically connected to the network too, that would probably help lol. :rolleyes:

Back