Exchange migration: External emails going to old exchange server

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
We are migrating our Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange 2010 and everything is working great except external emails are going to the old exchange server for some reason. I can't figure this out. Outgoing and internal email works fine.:confused:

I am thinking some kind of DNS problem?

This must be something simple but I am not an exchange guru.

Under Organization Configuration, Hub Transport, Send Connectors tab. Check out what you have there.

I don't know much about exchange but I assume your MX records are pointing to the correct server?

I assume you want your new Exchange 2010 server to be sending all external outbound mail. In the connector look at the Network tab. Are you using MX or smart hosts?

I assume you want your new Exchange 2010 server to be sending all external outbound mail. In the connector look at the Network tab. Are you using MX or smart hosts?

Outbound email is working from the new server. External email is being sent to the old exchange server.

Then you have DNS (MX - > A record) still pointing to the old server.

You need to open up tcp 25 to whatever smtp server you're using (edge or transport, smart host, appliance, whatever) from the outside, then make sure your MX/A points to the host that you want to receive the mail. If you're using an external SPAM service, you need to have them change their configuration to deliver mail to the new smtp server. In that case the MX would stay the same.

Fixed it. It was some kind of problem with our NAT setup on our ASA 5510. The external IP was pointing to the old server or something like that.

Now does anyone know how to get OWA working with a new Exchange 2010 server? it has something to do with the certificates.:confused:

When you say "working" do you mean working at all, or working without bitching about the certificate being self-signed?

It it's the former, more info, if it's the latter, you need a UCC/SAN cert, the hostnames will depend on your setup.

When you say "working" do you mean working at all, or working without bitching about the certificate being self-signed?

It it's the former, more info, if it's the latter, you need a UCC/SAN cert, the hostnames will depend on your setup.

We were getting a blank page that i fixed after finding this http://www.stefanjagger.co.uk/03/default-exchange-2010-owa-shows-blank-page/

Server Manager->Features->Add Feature, select to install the “RPC over HTTP Proxy” feature.

Now everything is working!:D

Now is there an easy way to have all the clients use the new server in outlook?

Your clients will automatically pick up the new server in their Outlook profiles when they connect to Outlook the first time after you've moved their mailboxes.

For new users/mailboxes you want to make sure that Autodiscover is working correctly and then Outlook will take care of itself.

Your clients will automatically pick up the new server in their Outlook profiles when they connect to Outlook the first time after you've moved their mailboxes.

For new users/mailboxes you want to make sure that Autodiscover is working correctly and then Outlook will take care of itself.

Thanks. We figured this out and everything is working great.

Aside from OWA what other cool stuff can you do with Exchange 2010? We are also going to be setting up Outlook Anywhere for some of our remote users. Is there an easy way to have that setup on the clients?

Aside from OWA what other cool stuff can you do with Exchange 2010? We are also going to be setting up Outlook Anywhere for some of our remote users. Is there an easy way to have that setup on the clients?

Make sure that you have Autodiscover configured correctly with DNS and the SSL Cert and you'll be golden. Also if you have a disjoined namespace make sure that you modify users UPN's to match the public domain and Autodiscover works like a charm. i.e. [email protected] vs. [email protected]

Not to laugh at you initial situation, but my last 2003-2010 conversion for a client had the same scenario. They swore up and down that they updated their spam filter to deliver email to the new server... 6 hours later, I finally insisted on verifying their spam filter configuration for myself. They changed to default delivery IP not the domain specified IP in their Barracuda. Made the change, and voila, life is good. We found that out the hard way after I'd cut the routeing group connector between systems.

Last edited:

Coming at it from 2003, which is what we've just done, there's not much that is jaw droppingly "wow!!" but just a shitload of nice touches.

Outlook Web App is clearly leaps and bounds better.
Outlook Anywhere and the whole autodiscover thing is just a nice timesaver.
If you have meeting rooms or equipment that people book, the new equipment and room mailboxes are a nice feature combined with the resource attendant.
Mailtips from within Outlook are useful.
Out of Office is more granular in that you can schedule it and specify non/different message for external vs. internal replies.

Plus of course it's supported.

Hey exchange gurus. My boss today said he was playing with the spam setting on our exchange server and our network stopped working all together. We figured out it was an exchange problem by keeping our exchange VM powered off and powering it off when we had the problem. If we powered it back on again our network/internet would stop working. I isolated the VM by putting it on a different VLAN and then powering it on and everything works fine this way.

What could have caused this?

Nothing that I can think of that Exchange does should cause this. Fire up the VM with the vNIC disconnected, stop all the Exchange services, stop all the IIS services, connect the vNIC, see if things work.

Basically narrow down whether Exchange or something at a lower level is causing the problem.

Nvm, somebody my network had a virus flooding it with ipv6 advertisements or the nic card is bad. I am going to post about it later.

Nvm, somebody my network had a virus flooding it with ipv6 advertisements or the nic card is bad. I am going to post about it later.

Umm, pretty big difference.

How did you get a job in charge of an exchange server?

Umm, pretty big difference.

How did you get a job in charge of an exchange server?

I am not really in charge of the Exchange server I just help my boss with it.

I fixed the problem we had today so what is the big deal?:rolleyes:

Back