Exchange Email Export (when domain is fubar)

Soldier101

Gawd
Not sure if this is the right section but I figured I would ask here and then a MOD could move if I was way off.

I need to export emails from an exchange server to PST files. Normally an easy task but here is the issue.

The exchange server is no longer on a domain...because the domain that exchange server was a part of died. It had all kinds of issues etc.

It was running on an SBS Server.

We exported all of their current emails to pst (or at least thought we did) and then migrated them to office 365 and rebuilt the domain with a fresh server.

They are missing chunks of emails. Is there a way that I can turn on that old server (we havent wiped it or anything)....keep it unplugged from the network.....Kick on exchange just enough to dump the files to pst and move them from the old server to their outlook profiles (if I can get it into outlook, outlook will sync the rest)

Use an exchange recovery tool such as Stellar EDB to PST or Ontrack exchange recovery if the DB is no longer live

You said the domain died, but then you said it was running on SBS? Normally Exchange is running on the SBS server, which is also a domain controller. Therefore you should just be able to fire up that server and still have access to exchange and the old domain in that single server. Then, depending on the version of SBS / Exchange, you should be able to use the native tools to do the mail export.

Or did you have a second exchange server, or remove the DC roles from the SBS server? If that's the case, then as others have suggested, you'll need one of the tools which will let you work with the Exchange DBs directly.

It would help if you let us know WHAT VERSION of exchange you're using :rolleyes:

Anyway, here you go. This works for 2010 SP1+ and 2013. All you have to do is have your databases mounted, then open the exchange management shell.

Import/Export Exchange Mailboxes

Set permissions > New-ManagementRoleAssignmnet -Role “Mailbox Import Export” -User Administrator

Export > New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox <user> -FilePath “\\<path>\mailbox.pst” -BadItemLimit 50
-ExcludeDumpster –ExcludeFolders {“#Recoverable Items#”,”#JunkEmail#”}

Import > New-MailboxImportRequest -Mailbox <user> -FilePath “\\<path>\mailbox.pst” -BadItemLimit 50
-ExcludeDumpster -ExcludeFolders {“#Recoverable Items#”,”#JunkEmail#”}

Resume failed import > Get-MailboxImportRequest –Identity <user>\MailboxImport | Resume-MailboxImportRequest

Get detailed failed status > Get-MailboxImportRequest –Identity <user>\MailboxImport | Get-MailboxImportRequestStatistics -IncludeReport | FL

Remove failed export > Get-MailboxExportRequest -Status Failed | Remove-MailboxExportRequest

Remove completed export > Get-MailboxExportRequest -Status Completed | Remove-MailboxExportRequest

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I forgot about this thread. I was able to get it resolved.

The users had current psts dumped on a share. We would have used digiscope if we hadn't otherwise lucked out.

The users had current psts dumped on a share. We would have used digiscope if we hadn't otherwise lucked out.
so you'd rather pay for software than use exchange built in powershell commands to do the same thing? funny.

so you'd rather pay for software than use exchange built in powershell commands to do the same thing? funny.

Why are you trying so hard to be a condescending ass? You not get enough turkey yesterday or something?

The exchange server that was running was 2003 btw. Your post said specifically 2010 & 2013.

Why are you trying so hard to be a condescending ass? You not get enough turkey yesterday or something?

The exchange server that was running was 2003 btw. Your post said specifically 2010 & 2013.
Because you
1) didn't provide good information in your post (specifically which version of exchange you were running)
2) forgot about a thread that you asked for help from the community showing quite a lack of respect for people trying to help you
3) come back and say you resolved the problem when really you didn't. You just happened to have had PST files laying around.
4) even if you *had* solved the problem it apparently didn't dawn on you to provide a solution to help others down the line.

Back