Exchange Dropping attachments........ ?

jadams

2[H]4U
So I have a 3rd party apps that sends reports using our exchange server. For some reason the reports only get attached maybe 60% of the time. I put in a ticket with the vendor and they're telling me that I need to adjust settings on Exchange, but of course cant tell me which. I'm highly skeptical that Exchange randomly drops attachments for no good reason.

Exchange 2010. Message tracker said it received the email. No errors. Any other tools I could use to prove they're full of shit?

Check attachment size limits. Bump it up and see if it improves.

Its def not attachment size limits. I did some tests and can reproduce the problem with 3KB sized attachments.

oh excuse me thread didnt mean to bump into you

How can I prove that an email hit Exchange w/ out anything attached? The web app is using smtp to connect to exchange. When I go through message tracker and search my mailbox for emails from the webapp's email it shows nothing. However I"m looking at the email clear as day in my inbox.

I shit you not, their response was "because it works sometimes proves our application is always sending the attachment"

no assholes - because it work sometimes means your application is sometimes sending the attachment.

Last edited:
I can't think of a way that in message tracker you can tell if there is an attachment or not. With older version of Exchange you can in Message tracker add the message Size field.

Right click on headers (Sender, Subject, date, etc), select Size. You should be able to see a difference in size between those with an attachment and those without.

I can't think of a way that in message tracker you can tell if there is an attachment or not. With older version of Exchange you can in Message tracker add the message Size field.

Right click on headers (Sender, Subject, date, etc), select Size. You should be able to see a difference in size between those with an attachment and those without.

Yea I remember with Exchange 2007 I was able to see message sizes. I dont see that for 2010 in message tracker. Its even failing to find messages that I"m looking right at in my inbox from .

Last edited:
I don't have access to a 2010 Exchange, so I don't know if it is there or not.

Do you have another SMTP Server you can test with? Got a Gmail/Comcast/ATT account? Try configuring the Application to send through that to verify attachment creation.

Check your Database store and make sure it is in a clean state. You might have to much white space in it and it may need to be defrag.

Do you have an archiver appliance on the network? Maybe someone turned on the option to extract attachments and put them there.

Do you have another SMTP Server you can test with? Got a Gmail/Comcast/ATT account? Try configuring the Application to send through that to verify attachment creation.

Seems like the easiest next step. Thanks.

Is the web app using the local smtp service or sending directly to exchange?

Can you get logs from them showing that an attachment is actually attached to the email?

Back