Exchange computer OU question

maademperor

[H]ard|Gawd
We run an Exchange 2003 environment at work, and have a couple thousand computers in our unassigned computer OU. Some of them are the same computer with different names and others are machines that have been decommissioned or just were setup as a test and never removed and some of them are actually still in use. What I'd like to be able to do is a network scan to determine when they all last connected to the network...unfortunately, the best I can come up with is a massive ping to see who shows as unable to be found, who replies and who has an address still but is just not connected. Any ideas?

Ideally, it would be great to know what machines have not connected in like 30 days and just remove them, leaving all others intact. Do the DCs store this info for any length of time?

Hope I'm making sense.

Yes, Active Directory stores that information. I've never seen a way to get to it using the built-in Microsoft tools, only with 3rd party utils.

DumpSec from Sysinterals can tell you LastLogonTime.
Also if you're running WSUS the server can tell you the last time a machine checked in.
If they don't help i think i have a .vbs script somewhere that checks for machine activity.

Also note, machines in the 'Computer' OU are not getting any Computer group policy changes applied. Might want to move them to a temp folder, then sort them out.

Back