Exchange and limit # emails sending?

deuce868

Gawd
I have an exchange 2000 server set up and a user says they tried to BCC some 600+ members of a committee he is on. I don't know of any limits on the server, but it seems no one got the email. Can anyone point me to where exactly I should be checking for a sending limit? He had people in the TO and CC fields and they got the email. So it just seems to have been something with this giant BCC list.

He says he checked twice to make sure he had the addresses correct, semicolon separated and such. He has gotten on bounce backs so I am not sure what might have happened.

Thanks

Open the Exchange System Manager and navigate to Servers>>Server Name>>Protocols>>SMTP>>Virtual SMTP Server and select properties. Go to the messagges tab and there you can set a max recipient limit.

Also check the user properties for that user in the AD and go to Exchange General tab and Delivery Options. Can also set on a per user basis in there.

Ok, the message recipient limit is 64k and the only limits on the user account end is for size. Since this was a plain text email I can't see it going over in size.

use message tracking to see what happened to it. if it looks like it was process successfully on the exchange end... enable SMTP logging and look at the logs to see what's going on.

If it forwards to a smart host, enable smtp logging there and see what it is doing with the messages.

Back