Exchange 2007 issue

[BB] Rick James

[H]ard Dawg
All of a sudden we are unable to send email to external or internal email addresses. We can however receive emails still. I'm not sure what the deal is. The server has been rebooted and all settings appear to be correct.

Thoughts?

Are the outbound e-mail showing in the queue viewer or are they being processed and going away? I would double check the send connectors, also run the mail flow troubleshooting wizard to see if finds anything. Also check the system and exchange logs around the time the problem started.

Are the outbound e-mail showing in the queue viewer or are they being processed and going away? I would double check the send connectors, also run the mail flow troubleshooting wizard to see if finds anything. Also check the system and exchange logs around the time the problem started.

The server that exchange is on, can't get out to the internet trhough a web browser, but can ping outside on the net. :confused::eek:

did someone change the dns settings?

can it ping dns names like google.com or is it just intarweb ips?

No DNS was changed. This just all of a sudden crapped out. Exchange the other night just stopped working, and then came back. After that I notice the BES and Exchange servers (2 seperate servers) can't get out to the net.

Yes the exchange server and BES server can ping www.google.com by its name and IP. They can do the same for other domains as well.

What the.....

have you checked the event logs for errors? Are there any services that won't start that should be running?

I have seen weird issues with SBS servers where they just decided to disable the MTA stacks....

Have you installed SP1 for Exchange 2007 yet? That has fixed various issues with ex2007 for a few different clients of ours.

have you checked the event logs for errors? Are there any services that won't start that should be running?

I have seen weird issues with SBS servers where they just decided to disable the MTA stacks....

Have you installed SP1 for Exchange 2007 yet? That has fixed various issues with ex2007 for a few different clients of ours.

There isn't anything in the logs that would show what happened. I have installed SP1 for Exchange and the issue still happens. Here is what is weird.

I have a friend that has a yahoo email account. She can't send emails to me, when she does she gets the following error

To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 8:42:02 AM
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Connected to 206.10.XXX.XX but connection died. (#4.4.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: (qmail 54526 invoked by uid 60001); 24 Jan 2008 13:13:25 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
h=Received:X-Mailerate:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID

Today, to try and trouble shoot this issue I created an email account at aol.com and I was using my wifes yahoo.com account. So, from my wifes email account at yahoo.com can send me to without any problems at all. I can send her emails, she can send me emails, all is well. From the AOL account i created today, I can send to the aol account, but the aol account can't send to me. It get a similar error from what i posted above. I have a gmail account that I can send to and receive emails from.

So in recap.

Friends yahoo Email: Can't send to me, but I can send to them
Wifes yahoo Email: Can send and receive from
Gmail: Can send and receive from
AOL: Can send but can't receive

I have a company that I contract work on the side from, they have an Exchange 07 server. I can send and receive from them just fine as well.

Any thoughts on this one?

:
The original message was received at Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:05:11 -0500 (EST)
from imo-m21.mail.aol.com [172.20.107.67]

*** ATTENTION ***

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its
delivery. The address which was undeliverable is listed in the section
labeled: "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----".

The reason your mail is being returned to you is listed in the section
labeled: "----- Transcript of Session Follows -----".

The line beginning with "<<<" describes the specific reason your e-mail could
not be delivered. The next line contains a second error message which is a
general translation for other e-mail servers.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to the e-mail
administrator or Postmaster at that destination.

--AOL Postmaster

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to 206.10.XXX.XX.:
>>> DATA
<<< 451 4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client input
<[email protected]>... Deferred: 451 4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client input
Message could not be delivered for 3 hours
Message will be deleted from queue

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [email protected]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; 206.10.XXX.XX
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 451 4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client input
Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:05:52 -0500 (EST)

Received: from imo-m21.mx.aol.com (imo-m21.mail.aol.com [172.20.107.67]) by
imr-m07.mx.aol.com (v107.10) with ESMTP id RELAYIN7-8479943d7a6; Thu, 24 Jan
2008 21:05:11 -0500
Received: from [email protected]
by imo-m21.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v38_r9.3.) id 4.ce9.25418950 (34895)
for <[email protected]>; Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:38:50 -0500 (EST)
Received: from WEBMAIL-DC04 (webmail-dc04.webmail.aol.com [205.188.149.26]) by
cia-da01.mx.aol.com (v121.4) with ESMTP id MAILCIADA014-884f47993daa1b7; Thu, 24
Jan 2008 20:38:50 -0500
To: [email protected]
Subject: Testing
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:38:50 -0500
X-MB-Message-Source: WebUI
X-AOL-IP: 172.20.107.67
X-MB-Message-Type: User
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="--------MB_8CA2D0A2B889911_6CC_BE03_WEBMAIL-DC04.sysops.aol.com"
X-Mailer: AOL Webmail 34032-STANDARD
Received: from 206.10.124.90 by WEBMAIL-DC04.sysops.aol.com (205.188.149.26)
with HTTP (WebMailUI); Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:38:50 -0500
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
X-Spam-Flag: NO

I am assuming that other computers at your office don't have problems getting on the internets, just your exchange server?

Have you run a DNS report on your domain name? That might turn up some clues . . .. If you don't have an account at DNSstuff.com I can run one for you and send you the results if you want to PM me your domain name. I promise I won't try to hax0r j00 intarwebs. :D

I am assuming that other computers at your office don't have problems getting on the internets, just your exchange server?

Have you run a DNS report on your domain name? That might turn up some clues . . .. If you don't have an account at DNSstuff.com I can run one for you and send you the results if you want to PM me your domain name. I promise I won't try to hax0r j00 intarwebs. :D

Yeah, all other computers are able to get online just fine.

I'll pm you.

report ran, found some failures. Should explain why you have send/receive problems. may not explain the intatwebs problem on your exchange server, though.

report ran, found some failures. Should explain why you have send/receive problems. may not explain the intatwebs problem on your exchange server, though.

Awesome. Thank you so much for you help. Send them over to me (I PM'd you my email addy that is working) and I'll take a look at them.

I should just get an account at DNSstuff.com hu....

DNSstuff.com rocks. I think you can get a year for about $60 or something. I jtold my boss I wanted it for troubleshooting some mail problems one of our clients was having that we inherited from another consultant . . . we use it all the time, worth every penny.

DNSstuff.com rocks. I think you can get a year for about $60 or something. I jtold my boss I wanted it for troubleshooting some mail problems one of our clients was having that we inherited from another consultant . . . we use it all the time, worth every penny.

did you get that email I sent you?

Yeah, I got them both. My son is having his first sleep-over with his best friend tonight. They are both six, have been playing Lego Star Wars together on their DSes for the last two hours, what a riot to watch . . . . . . I had to get their PJs on so I wasn't in front of the laptop for a while. :D

I think you need to get those reverse-DNS entries and MX records fixed and that will take care of your problem. You can send and recieve email so I don't think there is anything messed up too badly on the exchange server.

Looks like you got it all fixed now. DNSreport coming back clean except for the SPF record not being setup. That is up in the air as of importance depending on who you talk to. I figure it doesn't cost you anything to setup and some people require it to receive mail from you, might was well set it up.

and now I am calling it a night....

Looks like you got it all fixed now. DNSreport coming back clean except for the SPF record not being setup. That is up in the air as of importance depending on who you talk to. I figure it doesn't cost you anything to setup and some people require it to receive mail from you, might was well set it up.

and now I am calling it a night....

Thanks so much for all your help tonight. It's greatly appreciated!!

I go the problem fixed. It wasn't a DNS issue, but getting all that DNS cleaned up was nice. Thank you for your help! It was a switch on the fritz.

Back