Exchange 2007 - Delay mail if from address?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm sure many of you have mail-enabled phones. I'm also sure many of you receive automated messages, too.

That's fine during normal hours but when these emails are coming across at 3AM it kindof sucks...

Is there anyway to specify that certain mail gets delayed if sent in a timeframe (IE, until 7AM or something)?

I just set up an alerts folder and have the normal automated alerts delivered directly to that folder. Doesn't hit the inbox, I don't get notified on my phone.

I just set up an alerts folder and have the normal automated alerts delivered directly to that folder. Doesn't hit the inbox, I don't get notified on my phone.

The only problem with that is I'd then not think to check it, really.

They aren't CONSISTENT 3AM logs, they're just logs that pop up if there's problems. And I might get a couple dozen of them over a couple hours.

Also there's less tech-savvy folks getting these as well and they really wouldn't think to check those folders, either.

I set my phone to an "alarm only" mode during the night, meaning no ring for texts, calls, or emails. With the work I do, no matter is so important that it can't wait until morning. If by some odd tragedy I'm needed, I have a home phone.

I realize that may not be doable for some folks because they DO get called in at all hours of the night once in a while, but it works for me.

Mail is designed to get there as soon as it can. I don't know of any sort of delay short of a custom script.

Personally, I have our alarms set up with Nagios and for people like you that don't need to be bothered at 3am I have a time window set to only send during certain hours.

Yea, if I was controlling my alerts I'd not have them generated at all during that time, but the problem is I have no control over them... They come from an outside source.

Are they important? If they are, then you want to get them in the middle of the night. If they aren't, have them delivered to a different folder and check them when you get a chance. Either they're important enough to wake you up, or they can wait.

On the Blackberry, it appears that you can add the email address as a contact, then go to profiles, advanced, new exception, add the contact to the exception and have it apply the silent profile.
That way it wont make noise (night or day) but it will still show in your inbox.

I'm sure you can do something similar on winmo phones but they suck so I don't have one :)

On the Blackberry, it appears that you can add the email address as a contact, then go to profiles, advanced, new exception, add the contact to the exception and have it apply the silent profile.
That way it wont make noise (night or day) but it will still show in your inbox.

I'm sure you can do something similar on winmo phones but they suck so I don't have one :)

Dude, you're the bomb. I didn't even know that feature existed. That'll work great.

Back