Exchange 2007 cant find the Global Catalog

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I am trying to install Exchange 2007 on a Server 2008 R2 x64 box and when its checking the Pre-reqs, it keeps failing at Hub Transport Role and says: Cannot find at least one global catalog server running at least Windows 2003

This server is the Global Catalog/Domain Controller. I have Hyper-V installed on it with two virtual machines that are running Server 2003, so the Domain Functional level is set to Server 2003. I have IPV6 enabled on the network adapter as well. I have no idea what can be causing this problem. Sounds like a DNS problem, but I really don't know where to begin checking to see if it is. Any ideas?

Have you tried running dcdiag & netdiag?

If errors, run with the /fix switch. Then flush dns, register dns, stop & restart netlogon service

I ran DCDIAG and it came back with no errors. Netdiag isnt included or supported anymore in Server 2008. I did do a /flushdns and still no success.

Im wondering if the copy of Exchange I have is messed up. May just try to redownload it off MSDNAA

exchange 2007 is not supported on server 2008 r2. you can install exchange 2010 or server 2008 r2. MS says they will release a new SP for exchange 2007 that will add support for server 2008 r2 but that won't be until late this year.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

exchange 2007 is not supported on server 2008 r2. you can install exchange 2010 or server 2008 r2. MS says they will release a new SP for exchange 2007 that will add support for server 2008 r2 but that won't be until late this year.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Well that explain it. Guess I should of checked the requirements, but I assumed since its Server 2008 R2, Exchange 2007 would be supported off the bat.

I know, I assumed the same thing when I tried to setup EX2007 on a new 2008 R2 box. :rolleyes:

Silly Microsoft. Yeah I just read up on it, guess they wanted to get Exchange 2010 out and promote that instead on Server 2008 R2 installs. Public was outraged, so they said they will rewrite the code in service pack 3, to support Server 2008 R2.

Silly Microsoft. Yeah I just read up on it, guess they wanted to get Exchange 2010 out and promote that instead on Server 2008 R2 installs. Public was outraged, so they said they will rewrite the code in service pack 3, to support Server 2008 R2.

Sounds like what they did with Exchange 2007 and public folders,

You should see what MS did with SQL 2008, its physically impossible to install it on a domain controller. A fix is in the works

Sounds like what they did with Exchange 2007 and public folders,

You should see what MS did with SQL 2008, its physically impossible to install it on a domain controller. A fix is in the works

yeah, but you really shouldn't have SQL running on a DC anyway . . . . . :p

While i generally agree, doesn't SBS come with SQL, and it HAS to be the PDC?

Kinda dumb isn't it

Yes, very much so. That is why the standard version doesn't have SQL2008, it comes with WIDE (msde2000) and SQL2005Express. :p

Premium version allows for SQL2008 but must be installed on the second server. :eek:

Back