Exchange 2003 anti-spam?

mike2323

Weaksauce
What do you all use for Exchange 2003 anti-spam measures? Our license for symantec mail security expires soon and my boss wanted to add global disclaimer text in all emails (symantec mail security can't do this as far as I know).

Sophos Puremessage.

Potential ramifications from using blacklists almost pointed me away from using them, but spamcop and spamhaus have been a wonderful addition to my Exchange server.

I have installed trial version of Vamsoft's ORF on two Exchange Servers so far.

With that said greylisting kicks major ass! :D

Within two days both servers rejected over 4000+ emails *each* as being SPAM just using the greylisting functionality. What emails do get through also get checked via RBLs, SURBLs, reverse DNS, and a few other compliance checks.

With pricing at $200 per email server (no mailbox limit) you just can't beat the price and functionality.

SJConsultant said:

Within two days both servers rejected over 4000+ emails *each* as being SPAM just using the greylisting functionality. What emails do get through also get checked via RBLs, SURBLs, reverse DNS, and a few other compliance checks.

With pricing at $200 per email server (no mailbox limit) you just can't beat the price and functionality.

That software doesn't look to bad. Cheap too which is a plus.

Most of our severs are running GFI for antispam. Works pretty good.

swatbat said:
That software doesn't look to bad. Cheap too which is a plus.

Most of our severs are running GFI for antispam. Works pretty good.

We have GFI MailEssentials installed at a couple customer sites but it never seemed to work as well as it should even with people contributing to the "spam" and "not spam" folders. We will be converting them once the maintenance contract is up to ORF so long as we don't run into any major issues.

SJConsultant said:
We have GFI MailEssentials installed at a couple customer sites but it never seemed to work as well as it should even with people contributing to the "spam" and "not spam" folders. We will be converting them once the maintenance contract is up to ORF so long as we don't run into any major issues.

I need to rebuild my groups server(well I think we are going to switch to dual servers) and I may try that software. As I said it looks pretty good and it is half the cost of gfi. I just have to get the others use to change...

ORF doesn't look like it can do global disclaimers. I need something that can also add that on to emails. I was thinking GFI. Any other recommendations?

mike2323 said:
ORF doesn't look like it can do global disclaimers. I need something that can also add that on to emails. I was thinking GFI. Any other recommendations?

There are ways to do a global disclaimer for free. I haven't tried this but it might be something to look into.

This will only work if you are using either a "Front-End" Exchange server or if you are using a SMTP smart host. Without a smart host it will not work in sbs(not sure if this is an issue for you)

Has more info

www.policypatrol.com/ has a program just for doing disclaimers. It is just another thing to look into. It is a little pricy in my mind for what it does(compaired to gfi which can do the disclaimers as well) but it is another option. With it you could then get a sperate antispam and not have to worry about this issue anymore.

http://www.msexchange.org/software/Disclaimers/ has a list of them.

I'm looking more for an 'all-in-one' solution somewhat like GFI. We currently have Symantec Mail security. Our license on that expires in January 2007. Rather than renew I'm looking for something that can do more.

Speaking of anti-spam...has anyone tried the effectiveness of the solutions built into Copfilter for IPCop, or as built into Endian? Wondering how effective those are.

Note If you use a MAPI client such as Microsoft Outlook to send the e-mail, the recipient does not receive a modified message. This is because messages submitted using MAPI are not in SMTP format when the e-mail triggers the SMTP transport event. Therefore, changes that are made by the event's code are not persisted.

Who uses Exchange without MS Outlook? :p

mike2323 said:
Thanks for the link. I didn't see anyone else post that. I think I will check out ORF afterall.

I already posted that for you. It does have some limitations though.

swatbat said:
I haven't tried this but it might be something to look into.

This will only work if you are using either a "Front-End" Exchange server or if you are using a SMTP smart host. Without a smart host it will not work in sbs(not sure if this is an issue for you)

SJConsultant said:

I've installed this over the weekend onto my own office Exchange Server, and have to say it's pretty impressive so far. I put it on to evaluate for a few clients, and it appears to be extremely effective. And yeah- the Graylisting and Tar pit are awesome- almost none of them re-send after the delay, effectively making them disappear. Sweet.

At $200 it is an incredible bargain compared to pricing of products like GFI.

Time will tell, but so far I'm impressed. Now to get the agents installed.

Does anyone using the GFI product have it running on a separate machine than the actual Exchange box? How is the performance, etc? I'm thinking of going with the GFI product, but until I get a separate Exchange box I'd like to run it on a different machine. Right now one server does everything (AD, DHCP, Files, Printers, Exchange). Once I get another server to move Exchange to I can run it and GFI on a separate box.

I use ORF on Exchange 2003, and it does a decent job, but I still have a bunch of those stock get through every day. It doesn't seem to be consistent, but a few people get 5 or so a day, at any hours, and after it has blocked the same basic one for other people.

I use grey listing and a few of the DNS blocks and they still get through? Also, I have a scanner setup where we scan to email documents, and it blocks some of those, despite the fact the scanner address has been put in the whitelist. Any suggestions on that?

I have gone through their site and the help on the program, but I find both to be quite lacking. Anyone have more luck than I?

jefe said:
I have gone through their site and the help on the program, but I find both to be quite lacking. Anyone have more luck than I?

You can try the ORF newsgroup (news://news.vamsoft.com/)

But you have to consider ORF as a 'first stage' filter - you need something like IMF as a secondary filter.

I use ORF + IMF + Trendmicro SMB and the combination of the three catches about 99.9% of the spam

Back