Exchange 2000 remote access

insanarchist

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been trying to figure out how to connect remotely to an Exchange 2000 server and, after reading through a couple of 'googled' articles, I'm starting to get the sense that it requires a whole heck of a lot of set-up. Right now we're using the Exchange server in the office only (a dr's office), but the doctors would like to be able to check their schedules from home and, since it would seem Exchange has the features we're looking for built right in, it would seem to make sense that we could use it 'out-of-office' as well.

Yes, we already know Exchange shouldn't be used for what we're using it for: I wasn't around when we decided to use it, and nobody's exactly sure why we did.

da sponge said:
It was designed with this functionality in mind.

Use Outlook Web Access if you can stand the 2000 interface. 2003's is MUCH nicer and I hear the next version is even beter ;)
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Configuring_and_Using_OWA_in_Exchange_2000_Server.html

You could also use RPC over HTTP, but I'm pretty sure that's a 2003 only thing.
RPC is only an XPSP1, Server 2003, and Exchange 2003 thing. Those are the three things it needs to function.

OWA on E2k is doable, but E2k3 is much nicer to configure and deal with.

Also look at the alternative of a VPN connection that will allow users to connect to the exchange server with the full outlook client from home. I use that so that users can sync their handhelds from home.

Another vote for OWA...it's all there. Sure 2003 OWA "looks" more like the Outlook 2K3 client...but I've been setting up and using OWA since Exch 5.5....2000 was perfectly fine.

Back