Exchange 07 and other domains

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I am experimenting with Exchange 07 on my test server. My AD domain is called myDomain.lcl. I also own a domain called myDomain.org from GoDaddy. I want to configure Exchange 07 to accept emails from the myDomain.org domain. By default I know when you add a mailbox to a AD user, the internal address is [email protected]. Obviously this works fine if your just worried about internal emails in your organization and don't need to send emails to other domains. However, I want to configure Exchange to also send emails from [email protected], that way I can receive and send emails say from a gmail account. I knew how to set this up in Exchange 03, but looks like its different in Exchange 07.

After googling and researching this on Technet and Petri, I found articles to help me but I am still confused. I set my MX record to point to my public IP address (I know the MX is fine because I had this working in Exchange 03). From my reading, I understand that you need to add myDomain.org to the Accepted Domains list in the Exchange MMC. The next step is where I am confused at. There are 3 types of Accepted Domains, an Authoritative domain, an Internal relay domain, and a External relay domain. It sounds like I need to set up a relay domain?

I added myDomain.org to the list and made it a Authoritative domain and I am not having any luck sending emails to [email protected] through my gmail account. It always gets sent back with an error. So it sounds like I need to make it a relay domain?

Can anyone help explain how to do this?

EDIT: I do not have a Edge Transport server installed. Just one server with the AD domain controller and the other 4 Exchange roles: Hub Transport, Client Access, Mailbox, and Unified Messaging. I dont even know why I put Unified Messaging, not going to use it, buts it there.

Authoritive domain is right, you also have to go add a valid email address to one of your user accounts also to be able to send to it. Exchange won't add that domain suffix as an email address for all your users automatically.

I forgot to mention that. I went into the properties for that user, found the Email Address tab, and it only had the myDomain.lcl SMTP listed. I went ahead and added myDomain.org to SMTP list as well. Still no success.

You might need to install the Edge Transport Service then.

Ugh, I dont have another PC laying around. To install the Edge Transport Service requires its own standalone server.

mx records propogated over?

i haven't had much experice with exchange 07 only 1 install of SBS 08.

you need to add the domain.com or domain.org to each user or to the default policy.

can you send mail out?

mx records propogated over?

i haven't had much experice with exchange 07 only 1 install of SBS 08.

you need to add the domain.com or domain.org to each user or to the default policy.

can you send mail out?

I did add myDomain.org to the 3 users I created so far. I just tried sending and receiving again, still no success.

port 25 open?

you should be able to send out of the internal domain.

In the exchange 07 console, under - Organization configuration > Hub Transport > accepted Domains - do you have all your accepted domains listed in there?

Also i believe you have already added the smtp address. This will not allow you to send just receive email from that domain

Yes all my accepted domains are listed there. Really its just my AD domain and then the domain I purchased, so in total I have 2 domains listed in that box.

Yes all my accepted domains are listed there. Really its just my AD domain and then the domain I purchased, so in total I have 2 domains listed in that box.

What are the domain names, specify which is working and which isn't. You can PM it to me if you want, just wanna check your DNS

In the exchange 07 console, under - Organization configuration > Hub Transport > accepted Domains - do you have all your accepted domains listed in there?

Also i believe you have already added the smtp address. This will not allow you to send just receive email from that domain
The email address policies are in that same area. That is how you setup all accounts to get certain email addresses.

If email is not being delivered, try using telnet to port 25 and see what error message you receive. http://www.activexperts.com/activemail/telnet/

If that works, then it is probably related to you DNS externally or firewall issues.

The email address policies are in that same area. That is how you setup all accounts to get certain email addresses.

If email is not being delivered, try using telnet to port 25 and see what error message you receive. http://www.activexperts.com/activemail/telnet/

If that works, then it is probably related to you DNS externally or firewall issues.

You also have to set the SMTP address for the mailbox, which is in a different area

I just thought of something. I believe my apartment complex uses Comcast(used to have Insight until Comcast brought them out) internet now and I know they block port 25 or less you get a static IP service from them. Is there a way to test to see if port 25 is indeed blocked by them?

Well i just telneted on port 25 to the domain name you gave me and i got the exchange server, however its possible comcast is blocking mail from flowing, give them a call.

unless its comcast business port 25 would be blocked, blocked by every isp unless ur on business connect.

can you send mial out using ISP mail service. mail.comcast.com or somethign?

Back