excessive amount of ram, looking to avoid boot load

provoko

Gawd
I'm looking to build a system with 64gb to 128gb of ram. How can I avoid the long memory check, is there a certain manufacture that will let me skip this (skip it for real) or should I make sure to get higher frequency memory?

Last edited:
It's BIOS-dependent, some will allow you to do a 'Quick boot' which normally bypasses the check. Memory speed won't change how fast the check processes.

looking for suggestions

Even my Asus P7P55D-E has that option, but 8gb of ram delays the boot by almost a minute, so 64gb of ram would be 8 minutes on a quick boot setting.....

I'm looking for someone to say something similar to: Hey I have 64gb of ram, and I boot in literally 1 second.

I'm running 64 gig of Geil ram, f3-17000cl11q2-64gbzld on an Asus P9 X79 PRO board and an i7 3960 cpu.Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
It doesn't take 1 second to fully boot, it takes 60.
I'm also running a 256 gig SSD and have used 30 gig of the memory as a ram disk.
Shut down takes about 45 seconds

looking for suggestions

Even my Asus P7P55D-E has that option, but 8gb of ram delays the boot by almost a minute, so 64gb of ram would be 8 minutes on a quick boot setting.....

I'm looking for someone to say something similar to: Hey I have 64gb of ram, and I boot in literally 1 second.

I've never had that problem. Even our Dell machines do not have a delay like that. Me thinks something else is going on.

Is it literally taking that long when it is detecting the RAM before it actually starts loading Windows? If so, something is seriously wrong with your setup.

I have 192GB in mine, used to have 64, there was no boot time difference from 64 to 192. Memory check should be skippable by a BIOS setting for any reasonably modern system that could support that much RAM in the first place.

I've never had that problem. Even our Dell machines do not have a delay like that. Me thinks something else is going on.

Is it literally taking that long when it is detecting the RAM before it actually starts loading Windows? If so, something is seriously wrong with your setup.

At the time I built that, I went to asus support forums and found other people complaining. I basically just dealt with it.

I have my own systems up to 64 at home and 128 at work. I think you'll find network boot checks and hard disk/controller checks take most of the time.

I haven't seen a motherboard do this for quite some time. Most new boards will have a "Fast boot" BIOS setting which defaults to on, and they'll skip the memory check.

In the USB section of the BIOS, disable Legacy Support. In the Boot section of the BIOS, enable Quick Boot and turn off Verbose. Actual names may vary slightly from what I have used here.

Use a workstation board, not a server board . They boot usually faster.

I'm looking to build a system with 64gb to 128gb of ram. How can I avoid the long memory check, is there a certain manufacture that will let me skip this (skip it for real) or should I make sure to get higher frequency memory?

Don't bother doing anything special. I have 32 GB RAM and the boot RAM check is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it affair.

Back