Excellent HD 7950 deals

raghu78

[H]ard|Gawd
Here are a few very good deals for prospective HD 7950 buyers. try to grab one till these prices are available. mostly looks like weekend deals.

MSI HD 7950 OC Twin Frozr III - USD 340 ( USD 320 with rebate)
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-R7950-TWIN-FROZR-3GD5/dp/B007NG3WR2/

Gigabyte HD 7950 OC Windforce - USD 350
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Mini-Displayport-PCI-Express-Graphic-GV-R795WF3-3GD/dp/B007581QHG/

Sapphire HD 7950 950 Mhz edition - USD 370
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102991

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^ Yeah, at $80 less than the $400 GTX670, it makes the 7950 (MSI flavor) look pretty good. And that's about $100 cheaper than a 7970.

The MSI deal has been going on a while. I bought two of them the other day. I'm going to use the difference in price from the GTX 670s to buy water blocks.

Maybe at stock speeds...but that's not why he's buying water blocks.

Not to mention you can't play with the voltage on the 670s either so they're a poor choice for integrating into a wc loop since you won't gain any OCing potential over a good air cooler. You can easily oc the 7950s to 670 levels and both oc'd can be essentially the same.

Not to mention you can't play with the voltage on the 670s either so they're a poor choice for integrating into a wc loop since you won't gain any OCing potential over a good air cooler. You can easily oc the 7950s to 670 levels and both oc'd can be essentially the same.

At high resolutions the 7950 should have the edge. They aren't far off from a 7970 clock for clock and the results in these 7970 ghz edition reviews are interesting to say the least. That card really mops the floor with a 680 at higher resolutions. I'm really thinking about replacing my 670s with a pair of 7950s. Those MSI cards look tempting.

I've been staring at the MSI deal for $320 AR all day. Pick up one now and one later for a sweet crossfire system.

I'm highly considering selling off my 560 Ti and getting the MSI before its not worth anything above $100. I just don't know if its worth the $200ish after selling it off. The card plays everything I need >.>.

I'm highly considering selling off my 560 Ti and getting the MSI before its not worth anything above $100. I just don't know if its worth the $200ish after selling it off. The card plays everything I need >.>.

If you are gaming at 1920x1080 you are correct.

My rule of thumb is to wait at least two generations before upgrading video cards. Avoids that problem. Makes upgrades significant and noticeable.

My rule of thumb is to wait at least two generations before upgrading video cards. Avoids that problem. Makes upgrades significant and noticeable.

HD7950 is a substantial upgrade to GTX560 ti. For $320 for the MSI card it seems like a really good deal right now to enjoy a great card that will last a long time.

The 950mhz SApphire HD7950 is a unique card of the group being built on a HD7970 PCB and showing very strong over clocking potential.

Great deals on these cards for summer time fun.

Thats just it. I'm thinking of jumping now or just waiting for the next gen 8900 or GTX 7XX series to be released. Just was a matter of losing value I guess.

Wow the msi 7950 is really tempting. Too bad it's now 2-5 weeks for shipping :(
It's usually never that bad. I got in on the XFX 7950 deal and it said 2-5 weeks as well. I ended up receiving it in about a week and a half. As long as you're not in a hurry, you're likely to receive it much sooner than advertised.

It's usually never that bad. I got in on the XFX 7950 deal and it said 2-5 weeks as well. I ended up receiving it in about a week and a half. As long as you're not in a hurry, you're likely to receive it much sooner than advertised.

The thing is the rebate needs to be postmarked within 30 days of purchase. Don't they interpret the purchase date as the day you ordered the card, and not the day you actually received the card? If they start counting from today and the card arrives past the 30 day deadline, then I wouldn't be able to get that MIR.

Anybody have numbers for 560ti 448 vs 7950 at 1920x1080 without a lot of AA? (I would go for the MSI.)

My 560ti was $250 so this would be a $70 upgrade. I don't expect much for $70 but I'd rather avoid the hassles of a card swap if it would only get me 5-10fps in most titles.

Anybody have numbers for 560ti 448 vs 7950 at 1920x1080 without a lot of AA? (I would go for the MSI.)

My 560ti was $250 so this would be a $70 upgrade. I don't expect much for $70 but I'd rather avoid the hassles of a card swap if it would only get me 5-10fps in most titles.

Here is a comparison for some games, benches and other measurements. I had to use the GTX 570 as a substitute for your GTX 560 Ti 448 because it wasn't listed, but the two cards perform very similarly.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=550

In some games the performance increase is notable, while in other games the increase isn't very noteworthy.

Here is a comparison for some games, benches and other measurements. I had to use the GTX 570 as a substitute for your GTX 560 Ti 448 because it wasn't listed, but the two cards perform very similarly.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=550

In some games the performance increase is notable, while in other games the increase isn't very noteworthy.

Thanks. Results are similar to the Anandtech 7950 review, big differences in some titles and very little in others. Makes it a tough call...

Anyone get there card in that ordered this? If so what are you getting for a overclock?

Just a heads up for anyone who ordered/orders the MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3 OC:

They've started using the 7970 reference PCB on them! Every review of this card on the net shows it to be the 7950 PCB, but the two I received from Amazon have reference 7970 PCBs. I'm in a bind here as I ordered two Aquacomputer 7950 blocks from Germany that now don't fit because MSI changed the PCB :(.

I noticed that from the recent reviews. One guy said one actually had 2048 cores on one of the two he ordered from Newegg. That kinda peeked my interest as he said he was going to try flashing the other for a potential unlock he never posted anything since unfortunately.

Sucks on the blocks too.

The thing is the rebate needs to be postmarked within 30 days of purchase. Don't they interpret the purchase date as the day you ordered the card, and not the day you actually received the card? If they start counting from today and the card arrives past the 30 day deadline, then I wouldn't be able to get that MIR.

It depends on what the rebate form wants. Can you fill it all out without the card there, or do you have to cut some piece off the box and mail it in?

The 950mhz SApphire HD7950 is a unique card of the group being built on a HD7970 PCB and showing very strong over clocking potential.

My Sapphire 950MHz edition only went to 1100MHz with a bump in voltage to 1.093v. 1140MHz took a good bit more voltage to the point that Dual-X cooler couldn't keep temps reasonable to me, under 75c.

Just FYI for anyone looking at the Sapphire 950MHz edition model. Wasn't impressed at all by its overclocking or its cooler.

Regardless of Blkout's bad experience I still think the Sapphire HD7950 950mhz Edition is a great card. I was able to get stable on air over 1300mhz with stock cooling and I am now running a nice oc of 1300/1600 with 1.22v and have water cooled it.

I'd like to see photos of the new MSI HD7970 that uses a reference HD7970 PCB design, first that I have heard of this.

Found a photo of the new MSI HD7950.

http://www.realredraider.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=204516

Looks awesome. I would go with the MSI over the Sapphire based on the new PCB for the HD7950 on the new MSI cards.

But how do you know if you are going to get a new PCB one?

Lol Sonda, I posted the same info on [H] too in the WC sub-forum :).

AFAIK there's no way to tell which PCB you'll get until you open the box, but the good news is that since the "AMD" reference logo is stamped right above the PCI-E contacts you don't have to take the cooler off to tell which PCB you have. The older 7950 PCB model doesn't have the AMD logo there.

From newegg review:

Pros: Price
performance
MSI quality
TF3
6+8pin

Cons: GETS VERY HOTTTTTT!!! It appears that even when I turn off crossfire and lower the core to 300mhz it blows a lot of hot air, and this is with a huge tower and like 3 300mm fans and 5 120mm fans blowing.

Other Thoughts: I am not sure how it will flash, but wil begin to formulate a plan as to how to get there, it appears the core can handle 1100mhz with the default voltage for a HD7950, I will report on t hat soon.

Also, with the use of GPUZ as I flip the GPUS on PCIE ports I notice that each card on the second slot reads having 2048shaders. This leads me to believe that with a flash and with the 6+8pin power I will be able to turn both of these 7950s to perform as 7970's.

If it works I will report back to you,

THANK YOU MSI!!!!!!!!!!

Is this guy talking out his ass? I don't get what he means by putting the 7950 in the lower PCI-e slot causes it to read 2048. Could this just be a gpu-z glitch?

I still think I may bite. If I can get $30 for those 3 games at least that brings me to $290 after MIR. I just can't stomach spending $400+ on a GPU.

From newegg review:

Is this guy talking out his ass? I don't get what he means by putting the 7950 in the lower PCI-e slot causes it to read 2048. Could this just be a gpu-z glitch?

I still think I may bite. If I can get $30 for those 3 games at least that brings me to $290 after MIR. I just can't stomach spending $400+ on a GPU.

May be a glitch. My Sapphire HD7950 950mhz edition reads 2048 shades with HWinfo64.
I want that MSI TF3 HD7950.

Just a heads up for anyone who ordered/orders the MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3 OC:

They've started using the 7970 reference PCB on them! Every review of this card on the net shows it to be the 7950 PCB, but the two I received from Amazon have reference 7970 PCBs. I'm in a bind here as I ordered two Aquacomputer 7950 blocks from Germany that now don't fit because MSI changed the PCB :(.

You can probably sell the blocks brand new on ebay or Amazon to recoup your money on the blocks.

I would much rather have the 7970 PCB version.

How do your new cards over clock?

I might get one if it performs well.

You can probably sell the blocks brand new on ebay or Amazon to recoup your money on the blocks.

I would much rather have the 7970 PCB version.

How do your new cards over clock?

I might get one if it performs well.

I put the blocks up for sale on [H] last night here. Amazon or eBay will be a last resort. I am the only person in the USA selling these blocks since no stores here sell them.

I don't have any OC data yet (since I don't have water blocks and am waiting for some more parts to come in this week), but I'll post what these cards can do once everything's all together. I ordered a set of Watercool Heatkiller 79X0 blocks last night from Germany (surprisingly it was cheaper even after shipping than ordering from the US, and if it's shipped the same service as my Aquacomputer blocks were, will get here faster than normal US stores too).

Back