Excel: Using iterative calc to find first occurrence of date >= current date in another table

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Been trying to figure this one out, as either my Google Fu fails me or no one has done this kind of thing before and shared it. For various reasons I can't use a macro at work to make this easy on myself. Neither can I use SQL, so I have to use formulas in Excel.

I have two tables of data: one with a list of dates for one type of event (Event1), the other with dates of another type of event (Event2). The databases these separate events are in are siloed, so I have to match them up externally. I have to find the first occurrence of Event2 that occurs after the date of Event1. There can be multiple occurrences of Event2, so simply using a reference lookup isn't going to cut it. It is also possible for there to be no Event2 date that matches with Event1.

Reaching back to my programming days I broke the problem into its various pieces and came up with the following:
Code:
Event2 Count
=COUNTIF(Event2[Name],[@Name])

Event2 First Row
=IF([@[Event2 Count]],MATCH([@Name],Event2[Name],0),NA())

Event2 Next
=IF(IFNA(AND([@[Event2 Days Since Event1]]<1,[@[Event2 Next]]<[@[Event2 Count]],[@[Event2 Count]]<>1),[@[Event2 First Row]]),[@[Event2 Next]]+1,[@[Event2 Next]])

Event2 Next Row
=IF([@[Event2 Count]]=1,[@[Event2 First Row]],IF([@[Event2 Next]]+[@[Event2 First Row]]>[@[Event2 First Row]]+[@[Event2 Count]]-1,[@[Event2 First Row]]+[@[Event2 Count]]-1,[@[Event2 First Row]]+[@[Event2 Next]]))

Event2 Date
=INDEX(Event2[Date],[@[Event2 Next Row]])

Event2 Days Since Event1
=[@[Event2 Date]]-[@[Event1 Date]]
Note I have not tried to clean these formulas up, yet. It seems to be working in my sample of 60 Event1 vs. 100 Event2. Did I overcomplicate this? Is there a more simple way to approach this, keeping in mind my limitations? I'm about to deploy this solution to the full tables of around 3k rows a piece.

Back