Excel has started calculating multiple times

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
I have some spreadsheets that have an add-in that pulls data in. These were all fine before yesterday. Now for any change (I think sometimes with no change) the spreadsheet will show pulling in data and of course recalculating formulas. I have tried to mitigate this by changing the formulas to 'manual calculation' however even to close the spreadsheet it goes through this gyration of pulling data and recalculating. It can takes 2-3 minutes just to have the spreadsheet save and close. I have rebooted and reinstalled the add-in. Does anybody have any idea why this would start happening? Excel 2007 btw.

I have some spreadsheets that have an add-in that pulls data in. These were all fine before yesterday. Now for any change (I think sometimes with no change) the spreadsheet will show pulling in data and of course recalculating formulas. I have tried to mitigate this by changing the formulas to 'manual calculation' however even to close the spreadsheet it goes through this gyration of pulling data and recalculating. It can takes 2-3 minutes just to have the spreadsheet save and close. I have rebooted and reinstalled the add-in. Does anybody have any idea why this would start happening? Excel 2007 btw.
A bit late to the party here, but it sounds like you have formulae that are returning volatile results (functions like INDIRECT do this). Excel doesn't like this much as it can't keep track of which cells might change the result of a volatile function, so recalculates every time anything changes.

Worth noting that you can set an option in Excel to not recalculate on saving, which might save you a lot of time: Options > Formulas > Calculation Options, set to Manual and untick "Recalculate workbook before saving"

Well discovered the issue. First it was tied to one particular spreadsheet that I had open with other spreadsheets. There was a cell that had two spaces in it caused the issue. That is nuts! Deleted the cell and everything was back to normal.

Sounds like a quarter of my support ticket resolutoins... users entering data! :D

Back