Excel file size increasing for no apparent reason? (from 15MB to 500MB+)

G'morning all,

We're all using Excel 2003 and Windows XP.

I have a shared Excel file that's been about 15MB. It's accessed daily by three computers. We recycle it every week, so data basically only gets replaced, never added.

Since Monday, the file size has increased to 700MB. I have no idea why. I just moved it off the network and saved again, and it went from like 560MB up to 680MB. I didn't change anything.

Anyone have any ideas if I can fix this?

Thank you!

It's been a while with Excel, but I seem to recall a similar issue from years ago. It was due to excel saving the change data so you could see who made what change, etc.

If you dump that changed data (assuming it's still an option?) then it might help. I can't see it taking a 15mb file to hundreds of mb, but it's worth looking at.

Well, now even my computer (sig) can't open it. So I went to my week old backup and I'll see if it does it again. :eek:

It's been a while with Excel, but I seem to recall a similar issue from years ago. It was due to excel saving the change data so you could see who made what change, etc.

If you dump that changed data (assuming it's still an option?) then it might help. I can't see it taking a 15mb file to hundreds of mb, but it's worth looking at.

I think its called Track Changes under the options, at least it is in word

Back