Excel 2013: minimized Excel workbooks restore when opening another Excel file

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

When I open an Excel file and minimize it to my taskbar, then open another Excel file it restores the Excel file I minimized + opens the second file in another instance of Excel. How can I get it to stop doing this? I want the Excel file I minimized to stay minimized when I open another Excel file.

If it's like 2010, it doesn't open a new instance of Excel, just a new window.
I can open a dozen Excel spreadsheets, and there's only 1 excel.exe process running.

The only way to open them up in their own process, without affecting already-opened files, is to manually start Excel then open the file.

At least, I never could find the option in Excel 2010 to always open each workbook in its own process.

I believe the behavior has been changed in 2013 to allow multiple instances, but I agree, the restored minimized workbooks are frustrating when doing a lot of work at once. I'd like to know if someone has a fix as well.

Yeah, real annoying especially on multiple screens! Gonna try that office tabs, thanks.

Last edited:
that's why I despise Office 2010 in its entirety, it totally sucks hell even the Word program sucks more!
what a bad software programming product this is, it's like Vista! Office 2013 is better

Office 2013 may be better in terms of functionality but it is most certainly less cosmetically user friendly. Ever saw Outlook 2013 and compare it to Outlook 2010? This is perhaps by far the best example to provide of how bad Office 2013 sucks in terms of their cosmetic flattening and blending of theme. Outlook 2010 has more colors and icons to make distinctions for users easy, whereas Outlook 2013 removes useful user friendly icons, reduces colors and tones, flattens and camouflages everything together. If you open Outlook 2013, compare "Mail" and "Folders" view. In Outlook 2010, you basically have what Outlook 2013 has as "Folders" view. Huge difference cosmetically and in user friendliness. The new "Mail" view of Outlook 2013 removes indicators for sub-folders, folders, etcetera, and from point blanc makes everything seemingly unify making it much more difficult to find functions.

I love Office 2013, but if they would keep Outlook 2010's GUI/cosmetics/user friendliness I would love it even more (and so would our users).

Also, unfortunately, Office 2013 seems to perform better when you have GPUs and our Enterprise hypervisors for VMware View VDIs do not have GPUs. Office 2010 runs on less system resources, is snappier, is tremendously more user friendly. Also, keep in mind that this thread is about an Office 2013 problem. :D

Back