excel 2007 threading

Xethril

n00b
Does anyone know if excel 2007 allows multi threading. I'm curious because I've been doing macros in excel 2003 that need to do trillions of comparisons and they are so slow with a single thread system.

It does but the extent to which it works depends on your sheet. I don't know the details but I imagine that if the calculations need to be done in order, then multi-threading doesn't get you much. If a lot of the calculations are being done in parallel then you get more out of it.

I do a lot of log parsing and have only seen it use one core.

To be honest, if you're doing as many comparisons as you say you are, it might be better to learn a slightly lower level language like PHP and tie it together with the data in an SQL database (as an example). Essentially you're hitting the limits of Excel's functionality and might be better served by a more advanced/enterprise level solution.

Excel is single threaded.

I don't know your budget but "trillions of comparisons" sounds like a serious enterprise BI tool on top of a real DB unless you are doing some kind of mathematical factorial or proteinomics compares in which case you still need a different tool than excel (and the right custom data persistence).

If your going Scientific I seriously recommend you a Cluster, Fortran 90 and MPICH. That's the thing for doing Matricial calculations. Fortran despite being an oldie is built up for Matricial Jobs. Heck, Nasa Still uses it.

I am curious about this as well (one of our clients needs the solution we give them as an excel spreadsheet. end of story, end of requirement).

One sheet we give them (and that we use ourselves) has so many fucking macros that it takes like 10 seconds to "ready" itself for a certain input screen. (don't care about discussing code efficiency either right now)

multi-threading might not even help this. I don't know. just curious is all. oh, yeah, and this is in Excel 2003 btw...

(you know... this is off topic, but, excel is one Microsoft program that is fucking bad ass. it truly is.)

Back