Exceeding Motherboard Manual Memory Specifications?

apim

Weaksauce
I have an ASUS P8B75-V. The manual states the motherboard supports up to 32GB of memory. It also states "You may install 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 8 GB unbuffered and non-ECC DDR3 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets." To take advantage of Dual Channel memory, I was hoping to install 2x 16GB memory sticks. Can I do this or is 8GB per stick truly the limit?

The reason I'm asking this is because the Qualified Vendor List (QVL) shown in the manual doesn't show any memory configurations larger than 8GB (2x4GB) and the manual states to check the website for an updated QVL. The updated QVL on the website was last updated 2014/07/24. That updated QVL doesn't show any memory configurations larger than 16GB(2x8GB). Thus, it seems the information in the manual and the QVL is inadequate, which is why I was asking this question here.

Thank you for any replies or help towards my question.

What memory are you trying to use? I can't really remember off the top of my head, but aren't almost all DDR3 16GB DIMMs registered ECC, and only SO-DIMMs are available in non-reg, non-ecc form? And if that's not the case, isn't it just that pre-Broadwell Intel CPUs just weren't compatible with those DIMMs?

Wish I could remember exactly what the circumstances are, because this is also something I had looked at back when I first put together my old 4790k system and wanted to see what the max RAM capacity was for running some virtual machines.

You're right. I should stick to 4x 8GB. Dunno why I go making things difficult. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help.

Back