Ex-Tesla Worker Makes it Official and Blows the Whistle to SEC

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Montu, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

Fired Tesla employee Martin Tripp has filed a whistleblower complaint with the SEC alleging Tesla misled investors and put its customers at risk. If you recall, Martin Tripp was fired from Tesla for stealing confidential and trade secret information and then sued by Tesla. Is he being vindictive or is there some fire behind all of this smoke? Regardless, these court fights should be interesting and hopefully we'll get to the truth of what is happening here. We'll have to keep an eye on this story.

Tesla has said in the past that Tripp’s allegations are false and contend that he is not a whistleblower, but someone who hacked and stole confidential information.

PaulP likes this.
  2. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Gawd

Dunno, I feel He is just on a revenge spree. Let's see how this works out.

3. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Considering this guy has a reputation of being a "whistle blower" I question the validity of his claims.....how you go from working at Monsanto to Telsa is odd to me. According to the article he blew the whistle while working at Monsanto in 2016, kinda of a telling story on this guy. He may have cooked his goose on a career if he has this rep now for 2 different companies.
    Will be interesting to see what happens none the less.

4. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

Funny thing about court cases involving corporate entities with extensive record keeping, the truth tends to come out, like it or not. If he can back up his claims, it's going to be become obvious fairly quickly.

Vercinaigh and viscountalpha like this.
  5. LstOfTheBrunnenG

LstOfTheBrunnenG [H]ardness Supreme

Reading comprehension is key.

Vercinaigh and britjh22 like this.
  6. shad0w4life

shad0w4life Gawd

Guilty until proven innocent now, isn't that how it works?

Chris Hardwick was completely destroyed when his crazy ex released a blog about him with zero proof

GoldenTiger likes this.
  7. Cr4ckm0nk3y

Cr4ckm0nk3y Gawd

Whistle blowers have to be taken with a grain of salt; especially those who were terminated for stealing trade secrets. Just because Tripp is "working" with a well known whistle blower attorney means nothing. Just look at Gloria Allred, most of her whistle blowing clients are circus acts that are full of shit.

IMO, Tripp is attempting to move the focus from his theft and push it back onto Tesla being the big bad company. They need an unconnected whistle blower from Tesla to give Tripp any credibility. As it stands he is an accused thief lying to save his skin. You see it everyday in criminal and civil courts.

Depends on the movement. The goal line for guilt gets moved depending on what movement is being address and who the target is.

Not just Chris Hardwick but several others had their careers tarnished/destroyed on baseless claims.

Vercinaigh and Templar_X like this.
  8. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

This.

He got caught hacking and stealing confidential information, then he screams whistle blower.

Unless he has hard proof of his claims, he will lose in court and most likely make his punishment worse.

Disco_Stu_04 likes this.
  9. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

hmm, with tesla being VERY much in the spotlight.. and musk being more then candid a great many times on whats happening.. what is there to blow the whistle on as far as misleading people? being behind productions schedule is hardly "news" to anyone LOL

10. Joust

Joust Gawd

Well, there's a difference between missing production goals and outright misrepresentation of a company's capability and outlook. Particularly if you have a fiduciary responsibility.

11. LstOfTheBrunnenG

LstOfTheBrunnenG [H]ardness Supreme

Except that this guy has been playing the whistleblower angle from the moment he was fired, going so far as to argue directly with Elon Musk in an e-mail thread. So if it's a smokescreen, he thought rather fast on his feet coming up with it. He comes off as a bit full of himself, though.

12. DukenukemX

DukenukemX 2[H]4U

If he's the same guy that was stealing confidential trade secrets then he's being paid by another company to attack Tesla. Even if his claim is true or not, Tesla stocks are going to drop, at least for a while.

13. PaulP

PaulP Gawd

Both parties deserve the assumption of innocence until proven otherwise, wouldn't you agree?

14. Cr4ckm0nk3y

Cr4ckm0nk3y Gawd

It happens a lot TBH. When I flew for a large cargo operator, now gone, they fired one of our First Officers (right seat pilot) for on the job negligence. That FO immediately sent an email to HR and Union rep stating he was going to tell the FAA all sorts of nonsense about safety, training, and other FAR violations to shut the airline down. None of which were true. Just retribution. So the quick on the feet stuff happens.

We, the US at least, has unfortunately put such a large emphasis that all whistle blowers are some sort of heroes even when their stories are untrue. Tripps credibility is already stunted and they will need someone else, unconnected, to make the same accusations.

I don't want my posts to come across I think all whistleblowers are full of it. Far from that actually. I just think fake whistleblowers ruin the history of people like Silkwood, Serpico, and Wigand.

15. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Curious who that "third party" was that he sent the info to. Was it a news outlet? or was it like... Ford? That alone will speak volumes.

Is kind of sad though that the whole "whistle blower" aspect doesn't focus on safety to the consumer but seems to really headline the concept of "deceiving investors" (due to the fact this was done to the SEC)... because good lord we need to make sure those people who trade around fake worth are protected!

16. cjcox

cjcox Gawd

To combat these recent lawsuits, two extra tents full of lawyers have been erected outside the factory.

clockdogg and maddude like this.
  17. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

On the other hand his filing comes a bit late, no?
    Not sure tweeting around whistleblowing this and that will hold up in court if you take a few months to actually file for it.

Ehh
    Gonna see what is what and where he send the files to, if they slug it out in court at least.

18. Qthulu

Qthulu n00bie

I don't care one way or another. But I'd tend to believe the accusation against tesla.

19. eneq

eneq Limp Gawd

There has been a lot of short activity on Tesla lately, both in actual shorts but also from PR/news cycles. I wonder if there might be more behind this, if Tripp was working on behalf of a large shorting attempt it would make Musks recent actions with regards to quarterly results presentation and action to combat delivery problems. This might just be an attempt to bring the stock down again for the shorters to recoup some of their losses.

/* Yeah I might be a bit conspiratorial here */

20. MickeyBailey

MickeyBailey [H]Lite

You’re probably right but I think Musk has committed innumerable acts of fraud and other SEC violations while running Tesla and look forward to this trial. Saving his family’s money on SolarCity was agregious.

21. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

(y) Missed the attorney part of the sentence.