Ex-PlayStation Boss: Xbox On The Right Path

HardOCP News

[H] News
Am I the only one that was surprised that Microsoft or Nintendo didn't hire Jack Tretton after he quit Sony over a salary dispute?

As for Microsoft, he said the company has come around to what customers want after flubbing the device's launch with a high price tag ($499 when it launched, compared to $399 for the PS4) and unpopular policies around sharing and reselling used games. Microsoft reversed its unpopular policies and introduced a $399 version of its console in June to more directly compete with the PS4 on price, and it has instituted various promotions to drive the price even lower.

I'm still kind of amazed how the Xbox One was originally launched. They had the numbers advantage and could have hammered Sony if they wanted to. It's like they did no market research into their core audience prior to announcing it.

Microsoft seems to be of the opinion that they can tell the consumers what and how they want it. I wonder about some of their product launches and decisions of the last several years.

With the higher price, that also included the upgraded Kinect, right? They were really pushing it. For software developers, you are more likely to spend time developing for a technology if you know it's going to be utilized. I guess this was behind the thinking on including that originally. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - but the extra costs cuts down people buying it)

It's called corporate Hubris. Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft....they've all completely dropped the ball at one time or another.

1080p/60....seriously is that so much to ask?

I find it strange that Microsoft just didn't develop the console with better specs and sell it at a loss to push Sony out. They can afford it... Sony can't.

Microsoft is a comedy of errors. While they have money and very talented passionate employees ... somewhere in the upper chain of command you have some serious dumb-asses. Clearly.

Windows 8 should have never happened .... Windows phone? No one and I mean no one is buying them. It only makes sense that Xbox One would share the same recent fate.

Let's hope at some point in the future they can just release dope powerful shit that has real REAL value.

Microsoft is like walking into a Walmart and looking around. If you go into a Walmart you will soon notice they don't have anything high-end, special .. unique .. there isn't really anything that will grab your attention. This is Microsoft

Very happy with my Xbox One, I feel like I have been on the right path all along. Sadly enough the only people these articles seem to matter to are the haters. Fanboys just waiting around oddly enough, not playing awesome video games, and surprisingly have tons of time to bash the console they didn't buy...

I find it strange that Microsoft just didn't develop the console with better specs and sell it at a loss to push Sony out. They can afford it... Sony can't.

Hardware spec isn't going to make xbox dominate the console market. At the end of the day, what sells a console is it's library of games. What good would it be to buy a console with faster hardware but not being able to play the games you want.

PS, xbox and Nintendo, these consoles will all be around for awhile.

I'm still kind of amazed how the Xbox One was originally launched. They had the numbers advantage and could have hammered Sony if they wanted to. It's like they did no market research into their core audience prior to announcing it.

It's the pervasive arrogance of the company that tried to shove Windows 8 and Metro down our throats. They always know better. Until they have to face reality.

Very happy with my Xbox One, I feel like I have been on the right path all along. Sadly enough the only people these articles seem to matter to are the haters. Fanboys just waiting around oddly enough, not playing awesome video games, and surprisingly have tons of time to bash the console they didn't buy...

That is most Internet forums in general. That said I love my XB1. I just wish I had time to play it. :(

Yea I'm still amazed by it too, not only was it a marketing fail but they were lying as well. And still ended up delivering the weaker system

I'm enjoying my Xbox One as well. With games like Forza Horizon 2 my PS4 is just collecting dust as of late.

This.

They could have launched at the same price OR cheaper because they can sell at a loss whereas Sony hasn't posted a profit in a damn decade.

This.

They could have launched at the same price OR cheaper because they can sell at a loss whereas Sony hasn't posted a profit in a damn decade.

FWIW, the Xbox line is also in the red overall, Microsoft has lost money on it overall. Microsoft just happens to have the luxury of profitable business/enterprise products to pay for vanity projects like the Xbox in their consumer products division.

How investors haven't revolted and insisted on a spinoff company where the Xbox and other consumer products have to stand on their own merits I don't understand. But from an insider I've been told the Xbox One will be MS's last console.

FWIW, the Xbox line is also in the red overall, Microsoft has lost money on it overall. Microsoft just happens to have the luxury of profitable business/enterprise products to pay for vanity projects like the Xbox in their consumer products division.

Microsoft has the luxury of consistently posting profits. Sony hasn't seen a profit in years and years.

How investors haven't revolted and insisted on a spinoff company where the Xbox and other consumer products have to stand on their own merits I don't understand.

They tried that a year ago, remember? Turned out to be one activist investor, all talk...no action.

Not sure why investors would be upset, the company just posted record revenue again and the Computing and Gaming Hardware division's revenue was up 74% to ($2.45B), Gross Margin Up 134% ($480M).

But from an insider I've been told the Xbox One will be MS's last console.

Wait, are you the "insider" or you heard that from an "insider?" Because I can put you in touch with the people that actually make the thing, the Xbox isn't going anywhere.

Because diversity is a good thing in business and the Xbox is a consumption device that makes them money and helps sell other MS products.
How investors haven't revolted and insisted on a spinoff company where the Xbox and other consumer products have to stand on their own merits I don't understand.
Because it is a stupid and asinine idea and no one wants MS to do that, at least those who are interested in future growth potential of the company.

But from an insider I've been told the Xbox One will be MS's last console.[/QUOTE]

Lol no you haven't. The amount of corporate buy in on the xbox line is in full swing and the numerous amounts of ideas they have for it are unbelievable right now. MS is not even thinking about ditching it according to my insiders who happen to be at least a dozen strong working in someway on the project.

How investors haven't revolted and insisted on a spinoff company where the Xbox and other consumer products have to stand on their own merits I don't understand. But from an insider I've been told the Xbox One will be MS's last console.

:rolleyes:

Internet stock experts are always a favorite of mine.
LOL

If a company is large enough it can afford to have divisions which are loss-leaders and in some cases benefits from them via the tax policy in this country. The XBox line is also a lead-in to the larger Microsoft ecosystem. It attracts people via name recognition and familiarity with Microsoft's way of doing things.

When Microsoft's real money-maker (i.e. business software/services) starts losing money, then I might consider panicking if I were a Microsoft investor. Until that time, they have the luxury of being able to afford these side projects. Besides, the ex-Sony guy is even saying their heading in the right direction...

One of my relatives worked at MS for years, and he said a lot of people from different projects hated the xbox because they didn’t really make a profit and got most of the funding they wanted, while other projects had to tighten their belts.
That being said, MS future is xbox live, not the console/hardware itself. As for which hardware is better, as some have stated, the library is what matters not the specs. This 1080p 60fps issue does not seem to matter for the key demographic (kids), just having the big name titles to play.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we see free consoles in the future for a 2 to 4 year contract like cell phones, but with a longer hardware cycle.

Back