EVs with 100-Mile Range May Be All You Need, Some Automakers Say

Frankly I'm disturbed at the level of dismissive ignorance going on in this thread.....all you dopes are going Bill Nye on one-another and nobody is addressing the elephant in the room: WTF is this, and is there enough fire in the world to kill it? Is this the new Prius from a side-view?

1489689484Zy8rMiBqxi_1_1.jpg
They nearly all look shit though, its expected.
Like they arent bad enough already, they find ways to put icing on it.
Microsoft disease seems to be spreading!

The electric block mobile Top Gear UK created has more appeal lol.
The Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/top-gear-electric-car-hammerhead-eagle-i-thrust

2009_12_Hammerhead-Eagle-i-Trust2.jpg

1911993236157234x155.jpg

Last edited:
Frankly I'm disturbed at the level of dismissive ignorance going on in this thread.....all you dopes are going Bill Nye on one-another and nobody is addressing the elephant in the room: WTF is this, and is there enough fire in the world to kill it? Is this the new Prius from a side-view?
EVs by large car manufacturers are styled fucking ugly for a reason. Currently they make very little actual profit on them compared to regular cars. And they don't want to suddenly ship a shit load of EVs. It would be bad for business. But they do want to experiment with the technology so when the time comes for real mainstream adoption, they don't have to start from scratch. But they hate Tesla very very much. Possibly more than the luddites of these forums hate elon musk, because for them it's about business. It's their living on the line. Because Tesla is pushing up the timeline and they have to react to it. Or they get left behind.

So their evs are ugly to only serve the market hole, and not for the sake of everything that's holy compete with their regular gas powered vehicles.

That's Hondas Clarity, which is primarily their Hydrogen Car (though they make a half assed EV out of it as well).

Both Honda an Toyota have made their hydrogen Cars KIWF ugly.

My theory is that with so few Hydrogen cars on the road, they want them to "stand out".

The real thing being ignored by both EV fans and haters in this thread is that the 100 Mile EV is largely a red herring.

EVs coming out with 100 mile or less range:

Honda Clarity.

That's right just one EV.

Everyone is arguing back and forth about the lone new EV with less than 100 mile range.

OTOH:

Bolt is here now with 238 Mile range.
Tesla Model 3 with 200+ miles of range is late this year or early next year.
All new Nissan Leaf, is expected in 2018 with 200+ mile range.
BMW i3 is expected to upgrade battery size again this year to about 150 miles of range.
Hyundai is said to be prepping a 200+ mile Electric SUV for 2018.
Fords 200 mile EV is only expected in 2019.

But lets keep arguing about the kind of EV range, that will soon be history.

You can't have things become mainstream without people actively buying it.
The % of market share that would be taken up by these limited range evs would be in the single digits if even that.
No one is going to trade unlimited distance for 100 miles. Refilling fuel is easy (takes 5-10 minutes) and practically everywhere. Recharging takes hours.
Even people that really had no reason to travel large distances would rather get a car that could in the off chance they needed to.

Exactly my point. The article is crap.

It will never be real without the magic number .... 230KWH energy storage AND .... 10 min max charging time. That gets you 300 mile range, and a charging time people have come to expect for "re-fueling".

It will never be real without the magic number .... 230KWH energy storage AND .... 10 min max charging time. That gets you 300 mile range, and a charging time people have come to expect for "re-fueling".

You mean for you.

It's already very real for over 180000 Tesla drivers.

Sigh, asking Honda and Hyundai what the answer for the North American car market is is an exercise in silliness. I'd ask Ford, GMC, or Chevy. The plain fact of the matter is that what works for the urban market is not likely to work for the rural markets, and the US is more evenly distributed between urban, suburban, and rural (not to mention much, much larger) than either Japan or Korea.

In order for EVs to be successful as a class, they will need to capture the suburban market. Focusing on just the urban market (what 100 mile EV does) leaves out too many prospective buyers. ICE cars are going to be here for a long time, even if a significant portion of the populace switches. Many work vehicles have daily operating ranges in the hundreds of miles.

And you're not grasping the ramifications to the increased cost of, well, everything if EVs with such shitty ranges become mainstream all of a sudden.

Even folks that live in large metropolitan areas like Chicago, LA, NYC, or Miami would easily burn through 60-80% of the battery just getting to work...not because of distance per se (although there would be 10s of millions that do), but because of constant stop-and-go while running things like lights, wipers, defrosters, and HVAC.

It would kill delivery & courier businesses, taxi fleets, rental fleets, and any other businesses that rely on smaller sizes vehicles.
Well first, things aren't going to become mainstream "all of a sudden", I would worry more about the potential hit to our electric grid if tomorrow 50% of all cars were replaced by EVs.

As for using battery, yeah your comfort level will determine how much extra battery you use, just like it does with a gas drinking vehicle too, run the AC all day long? You're MPG will take a hit. However stop & go will not be an issue, in fact that's the whole reason why hybrids have higher city mileage than freeway because when you're in stop and go all those time frames you're not idling as much, which means not using the energy, and you can be absolutely certain any EVs out there will have regenerative braking like every hybrid has had for the past decade plus. But you're right if a taxi driver is just sitting at the airport and has the AC cranked while waiting for a passenger he will probably run out of juice very quickly, but these are choices people are going to need to make based on their needs (whether real or perceived). Why don't 18-wheelers use gasoline instead of diesel? diesel works better for those cases. If a gasoline powered vehicle works better for a particular business, they're going to use a gasoline powered car, if hybrids work better, hybrids will be used.

Although it would be interesting to see the ramifications of the removal of the need for petroleum as a fuel source to move vehicles. What happens if we stop needing to import any oil? Does military costs drop because we don't need to guard fundamentalist hotbeds? does military costs go up because now those countries who relied on our money become more aggressive? Does everything else from plastic to fertilizers become cheaper?

Car companies that include Hyundai and Honda aren’t concerned about range too much, as demonstrated by vehicles such as the latter’s Clarity EV, which only gets around 80 miles per charge. They believe that efforts are better spent on MPGe and the efficiency of a vehicle, which would be undermined by the bigger, heavier batteries required for extended range. They also argue that range anxiety doesn’t really exist, as most daily trips are only around 100 miles.

Steve Center, VP for environmental business development for Honda in the US, told Automotive News, “These people want a battery car and they know what they do and where they go. They’re very rational and they don’t need to lug around or charge up a 300-mile-range battery because that costs them electricity.” Honda has experience selling small EVs, to wit the Honda Fit EV that at 160 inches is almost three feet shorter than the Clarity and Accord. Honda sold only 1,100 of the Fit EVs. Obviously, one could argue there’s room for something in between, such as an EV version of the Honda Civic (367,000 sold last year) or CR-V compact crossover (357,000 sold last year).

Hurry Up Tesla, I want you to bury these laggards. Compliance cars abound in CA, so many companies just barely getting by. Let them drop electric altogether and see what happens. Idiots who refuse to get ahead of the curve deserve to get blindsided.

Well first, things aren't going to become mainstream "all of a sudden", I would worry more about the potential hit to our electric grid if tomorrow 50% of all cars were replaced by EVs.
nothing could be better for the grid than to utilize power overnight for charging vehicles when the demand otherwise drops off. Bringing powerplants up and down with the varying load is not easy and puts wear and tear and adds expense. You are also stuck with the fact a PowerPlant cost is based mainly on its cost to meet its peak output. This means in hours its it under used or unused it is not returning any money for the investment cost. So a more level utilization, filling in the down hours, would make a powerplant more cost effective. Utilizing the night hours for charging would be a plus that, although your cost will go up with more kW use, the rate itself (cents per kW) will go down. So people who don't have an EV should actually see a slight price drop. Well should go down, don't know how corrupt the electrical production industry is. This assumes your vehicle charger is programmable for trying to use primarily off-hours.

If in-ears are illegal how are people supposed to wear the mandatory hands-free? :D

They can only have one ear with a hands free device. It's illegal to have both ears blocked by headphones.

So their evs are ugly to only serve the market hole, and not for the sake of everything that's holy compete with their regular gas powered vehicles.
Half the EVs are regular vehicles adapted with an electric powertrain though.

Fiat 500E, Smart Fourtwo Electric, Kia Soul EV, Ford Focus Electric, VW E-Golf, Mercedes B250E, Audi A3 Electric... these are mainstream gas vehicles turned electric, so that doesn't apply.

Problem is pricing, especially without subsidy.

A Kia Soul or Ford Focus electric is a pretty hard sell for anyone that has a piece of paper and pencil and pocket calculator and does the math. They see its essentially the same car but heavier, less interior room, charging inconvenience, range anxiety, and all for a pretty tall markup. And while a 2016 Ford Focus gas will be worth around the same as a 2017 model, that's not true for the electric, as no one wants the 75 mile range 2016, when the 100 mile range 2017 is out and renders it obsolete, causing resale prices to crash.

They can only have one ear with a hands free device. It's illegal to have both ears blocked by headphones.

I don't think my country has such a law. My S-class mercedes is so well isolated from outside noises as it is that my ears give me no information while driving. All I hear is the soft hum of the (now spiked winter tyres) or the rain hitting the windshield.

I don't think my country has such a law. My S-class mercedes is so well isolated from outside noises as it is that my ears give me no information while driving. All I hear is the soft hum of the (now spiked winter tyres) or the rain hitting the windshield.

Even in a S Class, you can hear a siren. With ear canal buds, less likely. That's the point.

make it 150mi range, and make it charge via solar as you drive and we might have a deal.

I have an auto club membership, but they don't usually carry spare tires with them.
As for tire inflation goo, I've had maybe 1 flat over the past 20 years where that might have helped.

I've never been stranded by a blown transmission or any other mechanical problem in any car I've owned.
I've always been able to limp home in spite of the failure. Guess it helps buying reliable brands/models :D

my AAA membership pays for itself every time I drive my jeep :-p

Even in a S Class, you can hear a siren. With ear canal buds, less likely. That's the point.

You can hear the siren when it's a few meters away, at which point it also penetrates the noise canceling. The qc25 does not suppress high tones well since they're only buds and the active noise canceling has its limitations.

Nevertheless I'm always detecting any emergency vehicles primarily from the flashing lights, headphones or no headphones. If I have to rely on hearing alone it means it's almost on touching range already.

If car driving would be based on hearing we'd all drive convertibles and sound insulation would be banned :D

So much this. I wouldn't simply buy any EV available today because they are all ugly. The closest thing to an EV I would consider is a Fusion Energi, and only if I can get it with real tires. None of those low rolling resistance potatoes, thank you. I'd like to actually be able to stop and make turns when it rains, which happens often in subtropical Florida.

That's Hondas Clarity, which is primarily their Hydrogen Car (though they make a half assed EV out of it as well).

Both Honda an Toyota have made their hydrogen Cars KIWF ugly.

My theory is that with so few Hydrogen cars on the road, they want them to "stand out".

The real thing being ignored by both EV fans and haters in this thread is that the 100 Mile EV is largely a red herring.

EVs coming out with 100 mile or less range:

Honda Clarity.

That's right just one EV.

Everyone is arguing back and forth about the lone new EV with less than 100 mile range.

OTOH:

Bolt is here now with 238 Mile range.
Tesla Model 3 with 200+ miles of range is late this year or early next year.
All new Nissan Leaf, is expected in 2018 with 200+ mile range.
BMW i3 is expected to upgrade battery size again this year to about 150 miles of range.
Hyundai is said to be prepping a 200+ mile Electric SUV for 2018.
Fords 200 mile EV is only expected in 2019.

But lets keep arguing about the kind of EV range, that will soon be history.

Anything less than 300 miles is insultingly short. The problem isn't just the range, it is the range combined with the massive downtime to charge. They are making strides for certain, but lets not pretend they are even within 5-10 years of being competitive with ICE yet. EV's are still a novelty for people with disposable income who can utilize a car with fairly heavy limitations. So no, it won't "soon" be history. We are still a minimum of 5-10 years out from seeing EV's that can be considered truly competitive across the board with ICE cars.

This is what I'm waiting for. An electric car with a small gas tank to extend the range and assure you are never stuck.
A 50 mile battery range, and a 6 gallon gas tank would get you a 300 mile range.

Most plug hybrids are parallel Hybrids (even the Volt). They have both electric drive, and they have a transmission that allows the ICE to also drive the wheels.

A serial Hybrid is a full electric car, and the ICE has no connection to the wheels, it only charges the battery.
This simplifies the car since you eliminate the complicated transmission.

You're describing the Chevy Volt. It's all electric until you run out of battery, then it switches to a gas mode that charges the battery. The gas motor does have a hybrid mode where the gas motor will also add traction to the drive line, but never without the electricity also powering it. It's a really remarkable system.

The Volt is a good car, I just need that drive train in a Traverse or similar vehicle. Volvo T8 is a large 3 row PHEV as nice as it is its just too expensive for me.

They do its a BMW i3 with range extender.

the 2016 chevy volt is a change to the engine where the ICE drives the wheels as well the 2011-2015 was different. The 2011-2015 Volt has one motor that powers the wheels, and a second that acts as an engine-driven generator to produce electricity when battery capacity is depleted.

I don't need more than 100miles for my day to day commute. The problem is I need WAY more than that to replace my non-commuting use. If you are going to have a dedicated commuter vehicle functionality, you need to be priced like an add on car, not more expensive than my current primary ride.

I get it, right now they care about broadening beyond the tesla sized market and the few fringe greenies using thngs like the leaf. This means getting into the households where a $30k ride is the spare vehicle, not the primary vehicle. They do need to shut their mouths about satisfying the general market with the next baby step though. that type of setup is NOT the general market solution, just a step closer. I believe if they spoke that way they'd seem a lot less stupid than they currently do, and might even build anticipation in some rather than make people feel they just don't get it and the EV market should be ignored as stupidity.

Was thinking a Hydraulic drive electric would be cool. Two hydraulic motors one front one back, with the pump driven by an electric motor. Easy cheap compact way to implement All-wheel drive. ABS/Traction control brakes and suspension as normal.

Back