EVs outsould fossil fuel powered cars in Norway

Funny how you quote data from 2000, and ignore the trends in the report.

In 2000, 60% live detached homes. Just because it's a detached home doesn't mean they have a garage or proper electrical service/access to charge a car.

Funny how I quote actual data, and you just use completely wrong, made up assumptions, and then lecture me about the quality of actual data. :rolleyes:

Every source says the same thing. If you have real data to back your made up assumptions, by all means present it.

Meanwhile, the number of people living in large apartment building has shown significant growth over the past 40 years. Not a trend that will be helpful to charging cars.

Apartment and Condo living is growing, but it is a LONG way from dominating the market, and legislation to support EVs for new construction is becoming more common, and not just in California. As apartment/condo development grows, so will the EV friendliness of Apartment/Condo living.

No one is claiming that the transition will happen overnight, but there are no insurmountable problems and there is huge market of low hanging fruit already for EV sales, and while that low hanging fruit gets plucked, the infrastructure/EVs will be improving such it will open the market to a wider yet audience.

View attachment 153405

meanwhile, in a nearby city:
View attachment 153406

actually, I'mnot sure it's true oil drilling/fracking causes sink holes like this, probably just another half-baked theory

Qa2EMjHdHkvwDiDj7

View attachment 153652
This is also a photo of the Alberta oilsands. Alex MacLean has an entire photo series on the oilsands ... and none of his pictures look like the one you posted.

Reverse google search for his pic.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lithium-mine-oil-sands/

Please stop spreading misinformation.

cool... and yea that was my point, saying it was probably half-baked

I drive a Tesla Model S (bought used, not that expensive on the used market) and I put 18,000 miles on it in the last year. I did some longer road trips, Northern Illinois to San Antonio Texas over Christmas break for example. I have nice home charging so no issues staying charged at home. Tesla Super Chargers are pretty much everywhere so no issues driving long distances. If you want to know more this is a decent read to figure out what is up for buying them https://www.teslaadviceblog.com/blog/buying-guide-model-s-versions-1-2-3-and-4 Not my blog, not responsible for it's content. There are cars going for under 30k these days, and 36k will get you a reasonably low mileage Model S. I understand that not everyone wants or can spend that much on a car, and those who live by splash and dash long distance travel shouldn't go this way, but if you are willing to relax a bit, it can be a nice way to go.

On the concerns about getting stuck in traffic and running out of energy. In my experience getting stuck in traffic, even for long periods of time, always results in my getting to my destination with MORE in the pack, not less. The simple reality is that flying along the highway at Chicago-land speeds eats WAY more energy per mile than crawling along at 20mph average with the heater on. EV's are very efficient so crawling along uses practically no energy and the automation on the newer cars makes it even easier to crawl along with no stress (the best use case at this time for adaptive cruise with lane keeping).

Across country is really easy, just drive to the next charging station and have a break (the car plans the whole route). Some call it the Tesla diet, because you can end up eating 4 or 5 meals in a day (or exercising if that is your thing). You won't cover as much ground per 12 hours in an older Model S as the new Model 3, but it is very large, with a huge trunk. Obviously gas cars can cover more ground per day, but at the cost of not routinely eating nice meals.

The older ones like mine even have enough room in the Frunk (under the hood) for a full size spare, along with tools, charging stuff, and whatever else you want to put up there. My car has a full size spare, and I have full use of the trunk. Very few new cars, gas or electric have a spare in them now, let alone a full size spare.

The only people I can see having issues with the large battery Tesla's are the people who do 200 plus miles on the highway every day doing city wide delivery/support. Their routes, being inherently local, probably don't take them past a Super Charger, which are often placed for city to city transit, so it could be an issue for that use case. For example HP/Dell/Third Party hardware support person, their route is unknown and they could be roaming for many hours without a break. That is a challenge with any pure EV and will likely remain that way for a while yet. For those of us with an office job in the US and home charging, it is pretty much a slam dunk that it will be an amazing experience. Buying a used Leaf from 2011 isn't going to be the same experience! Those cars have a purpose, but long road trips aren't that purpose.

Back