Evolve Alpha sign up is LIVE!

So wtf, did the game auto-uninstall for anyone else? wtf?

That means if you get into another alpha you'll have to redownload the entire game again, why on earth would they do that???

Looks like that here too. folder is now ~130mb

So wtf, did the game auto-uninstall for anyone else? wtf?

That means if you get into another alpha you'll have to redownload the entire game again, why on earth would they do that???

Because fuck you, that's why.

(Honestly I have no idea, seems pretty stupid.)

Evolve has been delayed until Feb. 10th, 2015. Bummer.

That seems extremely odd. I thought the Alpha test went very well, and most of the game (other than some small balance issues and performance) seemed to be a in very good state for an Alpha.

I think it might have been mostly for financial reasons. February isn't a very crowded release month, and it's also after everyone has gotten consoles plus any sales that might be going on.

They should. The alpha was kinda boring and all it takes is one person not chasing the monster to screw up the respawning and take away the balance of 4 humans vs. 1 monster. After I saw someone do that in my game, I did the same in the next few matches and monster had no chance. You leave one person alive, while the other 3 attack till they die, everyone respawns together and gets another chance to kill without the round ending.

I think it might have been mostly for financial reasons. February isn't a very crowded release month, and it's also after everyone has gotten consoles plus any sales that might be going on.

The hype around this game has been insane and has only grown with the alpha this past weekend; I'd be very surprised if they were worried about sales, honestly. Not seeing this game until February is such a bummer...all the good shooter projects are now like 6-18 months away.

They should. The alpha was kinda boring and all it takes is one person not chasing the monster to screw up the respawning and take away the balance of 4 humans vs. 1 monster. After I saw someone do that in my game, I did the same in the next few matches and monster had no chance. You leave one person alive, while the other 3 attack till they die, everyone respawns together and gets another chance to kill without the round ending.

But none of the hunter roles are redundant so who would you keep back? That method is basically guaranteeing a Stage 3 showdown, which is generally not what you want as a hunter. You're supposed to face the monster early when it is weaker so that you don't face the much more difficult task of facing it later at Stage 3; it's not like the monster has regenerating health.

I was actually surprised that the hunters were even granted respawns considering that 1) you can be revived if the monster doesn't take the time to finish you off, and 2) they really make no sense in a 4v1 challenge where you're given the tools to work together to take down the monster.

Regardless, it's not like it would require an extra 4 months to tweak the respawn system. Either add more respawn time or add a slightly time-consuming way for the monster to regain health (instead of just armor) if the hunters decide to just leave it alone for long periods in hopes of winning via cheese/attrition.

But none of the hunter roles are redundant so who would you keep back?

It doesn't matter. Everyone can attack and cause damage, but obviously you want the tracker going after the monster.
You cheat by basically getting 2 waves against the opposition to their 1.

I don't think there should be respawning at all. But that would be a bit one sided with a stupid team and a competent monster.

The console-y menu was really annoying too. I hope its different on release.

I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief : http://kotaku.com/evolve-delayed-to-february-2015-1616525243

"We primarily decided that the title deserves and should have more time to be polished so it can reach its absolute optimal state before we release it," Take-Two boss Strauss Zelnick said on a conference call this afternoon. "Historically, we've always benefitted from giving the creative teams more time to polish their titles. We've never regretted it. It's not a meaningful amount of time; the title is still coming out in the fiscal year. We're really excited about the title. Coming out of E3, where it won best of show, it felt like the right thing to do to make absolutely sure this title could be its very best.

Absolutely the right decision. While I enjoyed my Alpha playthrough the game felt very unfinished. The interface is console..ish , the matchmaking is a bit stiff , the character load out screen feels cluttered and character/maps need some balancing as well as the Monster.

I think if it released this Winter it would suffer and not be ready for prime time. I'm really glad the developers took the feedback on the Alpha forum seriously and decided to take action versus release soon and fix later tactics so many employ.

Can't wait for Feb 2015. Lots of good games coming around then.

It doesn't matter. Everyone can attack and cause damage, but obviously you want the tracker going after the monster.
You cheat by basically getting 2 waves against the opposition to their 1.

So you bring the Trapper, but that means you need to leave either Support or the Medic at the base; giving up Support is giving up damage/shielding and giving up Medic means the fight will likely be much shorter...and that's assuming that you actually catch the monster in a reasonable amount of time, plus deplete both his armor and a decent chunk of health during that engagement. If you don't take out some health he'll just eat and regain armor before facing your team at the objective, which is hardly a guaranteed win for the hunters.

I don't think any strategy is a slam dunk after only 3 days of play, especially since any of the games you tried that in could have been against a player with no monster experience.

I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief : http://kotaku.com/evolve-delayed-to-february-2015-1616525243

Absolutely the right decision. While I enjoyed my Alpha playthrough the game felt very unfinished. The interface is console..ish , the matchmaking is a bit stiff , the character load out screen feels cluttered and character/maps need some balancing as well as the Monster.

I think if it released this Winter it would suffer and not be ready for prime time. I'm really glad the developers took the feedback on the Alpha forum seriously and decided to take action versus release soon and fix later tactics so many employ.

Can't wait for Feb 2015. Lots of good games coming around then.

I agree, I would rather wait for quality than roll in #@$! for months until they fix it. I enjoyed the Alpha but it had some holes to fill before we even talk about the menu's and such.

So you bring the Trapper, but that means you need to leave either Support or the Medic at the base; giving up Support is giving up damage/shielding and giving up Medic means the fight will likely be much shorter...and that's assuming that you actually catch the monster in a reasonable amount of time, plus deplete both his armor and a decent chunk of health during that engagement. If you don't take out some health he'll just eat and regain armor before facing your team at the objective, which is hardly a guaranteed win for the hunters.

I don't think any strategy is a slam dunk after only 3 days of play, especially since any of the games you tried that in could have been against a player with no monster experience.

You are way over thinking this.
Too bad the alpha is over or you could try it yourself. The monster doesn't get time to do anything, because you constantly are attacking him. Oh well, lets see what this delay does.

How are you tracking the Goliath?

From my experience, both as hunter side and Goliath, if you play it properly (or really just competently once people understand the basic mechanics and learn the map) the Goliath will not set off any birds (other then possibly intentionally as a decoy) and will only leave very little tracks (relying on the leap and climbing, no tracks). Unless there is something I'm missing from the hunter side.

Although I agree they might need to make some changes to prevent the metagame from going in certain directions.

Oddly early next year seems crowded now for games.

Actually with the Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight likely at that time this makes it less likely I'd consider Evolve. I'd also rather wait for Rainbow Six: Siege depending on what the timeline of that might be.

You are way over thinking this.
Too bad the alpha is over or you could try it yourself. The monster doesn't get time to do anything, because you constantly are attacking him. Oh well, lets see what this delay does.

Overthinking this? I only gave you a basic rundown of class roles and the flow of the game. Your strategy assumes that your 3 teammates are finding the monster quickly 100% of the time (which would indicate a noob monster) and also having a great engagement with only 3 people. A smart monster would just focus down the Medic or Support (depending on who you brought), then focus the Assault who at that point would have no healing or extra shielding.

I'm only commenting because you seemed to be implying that the game was broken by this unbeatable strategy. That strategy, btw, also guarantees no perks and less max health for 3/4 of your team when facing the Stage 3 monster...that isn't what you want.

You might as well just bring the whole team from the beginning and have one of the hunters GTFO if things start to go south; why would anyone even want to sit at spawn the entire game?

Last edited:
That strategy, btw, also guarantees no perks and less max health for 3/4 of your team when facing the Stage 3 monster...that isn't what you want.

why would anyone even want to sit at spawn the entire game?

Its a grief tactic, who cares?
Yes you are overthinking it, since you seem to think I analyzed every single variable of possibilities of what could happen with said strategy. No, I saw someone do it to me, then I did the same in the next 4 games, since I wasnt trapper. The result was the same each time. I didnt look at perks, I didnt look at anything, I simply tried what someone did to me. Monster never made it past 2 stage btw(probably cause he was getting blasted as a sitting duck trying to upgrade while getting shot)...

Its a grief tactic, who cares?
Yes you are overthinking it, since you seem to think I analyzed every single variable of possibilities of what could happen with said strategy. No, I saw someone do it to me, then I did the same in the next 4 games, since I wasnt trapper. The result was the same each time. I didnt look at perks, I didnt look at anything, I simply tried what someone did to me. Monster never made it past 2 stage btw(probably cause he was getting blasted as a sitting duck trying to upgrade while getting shot)...

You posted your opinion on the game and included a strategy that gave the monster "no chance" - I did in fact assume that you had at least thought about it.

Now you reveal that none of the monster players got to Stage 3 even with your team handicapped by 1 player, which would indicate that you were not facing very skilled monster players.

Not sure why you keep telling me that I'm overthinking this when all I'm doing is discussing the game in the thread we have for discussing the game.

I never saw that particular tactic employed, and I'm a bit fuzzy on how it would be more effective than just having everyone go after the monster, if it never got past Stage 2 and they were able to do damage consistently. In the games I've been in, the monster almost always got away from us, and we spent half the match chasing it in circles. With some better team coordination you could probably split up and go both ways (the maps seem to be fairly circular in nature).

I guess the benefit is that people can go balls out with damage and then die, and they just respawn with the last person rather than losing the round? How long do you have to wait to respawn? Seems like the monster could just come find that last person and murder them before that happens.

You posted your opinion on the game and included a strategy that gave the monster "no chance" - I did in fact assume that you had at least thought about it.

Now you reveal that none of the monster players got to Stage 3 even with your team handicapped by 1 player, which would indicate that you were not facing very skilled monster players.

Not sure why you keep telling me that I'm overthinking this when all I'm doing is discussing the game in the thread we have for discussing the game.

We can't exactly test every possibility anymore, now can we?
You made it sound like I posted this as a fullproof way to break the game. I never said that. It happened in every game I tried, which leads me to believe it doesn't take much to break the balance, and apparently 3 people are enough to tear the monster enough for one more wave of players to kill it. The team was competent most of the time, but who knows if they were using the monster "correctly". Maybe exploit is a better word instead of "break"...

I guess the benefit is that people can go balls out with damage and then die, and they just respawn with the last person rather than losing the round? How long do you have to wait to respawn? Seems like the monster could just come find that last person and murder them before that happens.

I remember it starts at either 50 or 60 seconds when the first person dies.
Anyone else that dies within those 50 or 60 seconds will respawn together with the first person.
Maybe thats the problem all together. Everyone should have individual respawn times, but that might make the monster seem too OP, depending how the team dies...

I remember it starts at either 50 or 60 seconds when the first person dies.
Anyone else that dies within those 50 or 60 seconds will respawn together with the first person.
Maybe thats the problem all together. Everyone should have individual respawn times, but that might make the monster seem too OP, depending how the team dies...

Ahh...yeah, I can see how that would create an exploitable situation. But I agree, individual respawn doesn't really make sense, either.

We can't exactly test every possibility anymore, now can we?
You made it sound like I posted this as a fullproof way to break the game. I never said that.

Sure you did.

They should. The alpha was kinda boring and all it takes is one person not chasing the monster to screw up the respawning and take away the balance of 4 humans vs. 1 monster.

I'm not sure how else I was supposed to read that, so I offered you some strategies in retort and you got all huffy about it.

Kind of silly that we have to sign up for a "different" alpha if we already did the first.

i really hope i get in!

i was in the first alpha but only got one day to really enjoy it.

Info for the Evolve "Big Alpha" is out: http://evolvegame.com/news/official-evolve-big-alpha-invitations-are-now-going-out. Of note: if you had alpha access before you're automatically in (not sure why this needed to be a "surprise" but whatever, I'm pre-loading!).

Official invitations to Big Alpha are being sent, starting today!

If you’ve filled in the registration form correctly, including your registration code and a valid email address, you should be all set. Invitations will be sent in a rolling fashion starting today, so check your email frequently throughout the week. Once you get your invitation, redeem the voucher code in the email on your platform of choice to start pre-loading the game so it’s ready to unlock once the servers go live for your platform.

Were you in the last Evolve Alpha? SURPRISE!

Check your Steam account library right now. You’re in, no questions asked. Start pre-loading now! We want you to tear it up and tell us what you think once the servers go live.

Awesome, I’m in – when can I get started with Evolve?

We want you guys to get MAXIMUM play time with the Big Alpha, so we’re dialing up the servers early. This way, you can pre-load the Big Alpha ahead of time and jump straight into a match once the servers officially go live.

When will pre-load begin?

Xbox One: Pre-loading begins today, Oct. 28.
PC: You can begin pre-loading on Wednesday, Oct. 29.
PS4: Your pre-loading starts on Thursday, Oct. 30.

When does the Evolve Big Alpha go live?

Xbox One: Thursday, Oct. 30 at 9am PDT / 4pm UTC
PC & PS4: Friday, Oct. 31 at 9am PDT / 4pm UTC

The Evolve Big Alpha ends Sunday, Nov. 2 at 8pm PST / Monday, Nov. 3 at 4am UTC

Of note: if you had alpha access before you're automatically in

Dam I didn't know that. I signed up again.. And got selected again.. Guess I have an extra key haha.

For anyone wondering I got the email like 30min ago.

whoo, I almost thought I wasn't gonna get into big alpha for a sec. :)

Was in the first alpha so I guess I'll be in the new one. I signed up again for the alpha, so if I get an extra key I'll throw it up here assuming a friend doesn't want it.

Got keys on both PC and X1. This is good news, because the last PC alpha never worked for me. At least if it still doesn't work, I can fall back on X1, which shouldn't have any problems.

Was in the first alpha so I guess I'll be in the new one. I signed up again for the alpha, so if I get an extra key I'll throw it up here assuming a friend doesn't want it.

Won't work. The alpha is tied to the Steam account you gave when you signed up. They will be able to activate the game on Steam and waste all their geebees downloading it, but it won't authenticate with the 2K servers when they try to play.

Won't work. The alpha is tied to the Steam account you gave when you signed up. They will be able to activate the game on Steam and waste all their geebees downloading it, but it won't authenticate with the 2K servers when they try to play.

Shoot, that's lame. It would have been nice, in that case, to inform previous alpha players that they would be getting in automatically and not to sign up again and waste a slot.

Where did you get this information? There are other ways to get codes and they don't all ask for your Steam account.

For anyone looking to guarantee an invite, you can install CurseVoice and follow the directions here: http://evolvegame.com/news/curse-exclusively-guarantees-access-to-evolves-big-alpha-on-pc.

Back