EVO getting Froyo next weeko!

Some sweet updates/changes.

I'm on the fence between making another contract with ATT for the captivate (replacing my iPhone 3g) or creating a new contract with Sprint and trying to nab an EVO.

Meh.

I think captivate is gonna be one fast phone when it gets froyo. It already is fast, lol.

I have the Captivate and im extremely disapointed in the performance. I hope Froyo fixes its issues.

i would stay the hell away from ATT they were preventing people to install 3rd party apps
which you can do on verizon and sprint.

My main issue is the unresponsiveness of the touch screen combined with the intermittent lag of the system. The OS stutters and glitches after a while. No android user really admits these kinda things. GPS took 5 minutes for me to lock in at times and sometimes its instant. My phone has been rooted, bloatware deleted and been factory reset. I have used Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher and same results. Today i played with my buddies Android 2.2 N1 and still isnt as smooth and snappy as the iPhone 4. Im hoping Froyo for Captivate will be the ONE.If not im going back to iPhone 4. Im too damn busy to mess with all the bullshit.

Froyo is coming tomorrow for those who manually update.

Confirmed by Engadget . If you rooted stay away until xda gets a holds of it.

My main issue is the unresponsiveness of the touch screen combined with the intermittent lag of the system. The OS stutters and glitches after a while. No android user really admits these kinda things. GPS took 5 minutes for me to lock in at times and sometimes its instant. My phone has been rooted, bloatware deleted and been factory reset. I have used Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher and same results. Today i played with my buddies Android 2.2 N1 and still isnt as smooth and snappy as the iPhone 4. Im hoping Froyo for Captivate will be the ONE.If not im going back to iPhone 4. Im too damn busy to mess with all the bullshit.

the iphone 4 sucks its a closed platform while android is open and full customizable. The Evo is pretty smooth none of the android phones on ATT are any good they are nerfed so that people by the iphone 4

I'm so looking foward to this.2.1 isn't bad but I think froyo is what has been missing to make it just right.

You said it. I like the open-ness and all, but most of the time, I just want it to work.

With all the "freedom" of Android, I really haven't done anything unique. Yea, its just me, but I really want to make calls, text and use the mobile internet sometimes. Oh, I want those three things to be freaking fast.

Actually i thought i was gonna be disappointed with the performance, but I haven't had any issues like that. I am not a fanboy but adw launcher and launcher pro work beautifully. This phone is plenty fast for any adroid 2.1 based phone. I have seen my friends evo 4g and I used it. Captivate feels like it is much snappier then the evo running the same 2.1 android os.

This is my second android phone and droid being first. I have used iphone 3gs, and I dont really understand why you are having issues with the touchscreen, mine is instant. Although the home buttons could use a little work.

Seems to me like you made up your mind already mate....go back to the iPhone.
Running around saying "all the bullshit" and "no android user really admits these kinda things" already peg you as someone who didn't care for the platform to begin with.

You want to get into the conversation of what people don't admit is wrong, make sure to point the finger at the other side of the table too....

the iphone 4 sucks its a closed platform while android is open and full customizable. The Evo is pretty smooth none of the android phones on ATT are any good they are nerfed so that people by the iphone 4

Wow. What a load of BS. The Aria and Captivate are both great phones. The Captivate has a few software issues at the moment, but that's pretty normal for newly released phones.

I get my Samsung Galaxy Vibrant variation on Monday, it is supposed to get FROYO next week as well :).

Wow. What a load of BS. The Aria and Captivate are both great phones. The Captivate has a few software issues at the moment, but that's pretty normal for newly released phones.

sorry i wasn't bad mouthing the phone i was mostly talking about the carrier ATT there not kind to the android platform as verizon or sprint or t-mobile. they were locking the phones so you couldn't install apps outside of the market

The problem with the whole Galaxy S line is TouchWiz.

It's a pile. I'm not a big fan of Sense either, but it seems to out perform TouchWiz. I'd be interested to see how that line of phones would perform with LauncherPro or ADW.

you can make the evo run without sense cant you? if so, cant you do the same on the samsung? Just run stock android?

Well you can replace the launcher on any phone with alternatives like LauncherPro and ADW. I'm running LauncherPro on my Captivate.

sorry i wasn't bad mouthing the phone i was mostly talking about the carrier ATT there not kind to the android platform as verizon or sprint or t-mobile. they were locking the phones so you couldn't install apps outside of the market

The lock is ridiculously easy to disable though. It's a total non-issue.

Seems to me like you made up your mind already mate....go back to the iPhone.
Running around saying "all the bullshit" and "no android user really admits these kinda things" already peg you as someone who didn't care for the platform to begin with.

You want to get into the conversation of what people don't admit is wrong, make sure to point the finger at the other side of the table too....

Whatever, I talk shit about the iphone 4 as well when i had it. I am no fanboi of any system or OS and I for one will post flaws.

I have the iphone 4, Captivate and N1 with Froyo to play with during my dayjob (webmaster).
IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

I went to the Android after owning the iphone 4 because People rave about how much faster and smoother the android is over the iPhone 4. Thats all bullshit. The Android system is STILL stuttery, laggy and glitchy. Sure, its snappy most of the time but its VERY inconsistent. Screen is fucking unresponsive at most of the time and its a pain to have to tap the screen multiple times. I even played with the EVO and its no different. How many OS update and hardware releases is it going to take to get these phones to be on par with the iphone 4? People who say the Captivate is snappy and smooth is comparing it to the iphone 3GS and Windows Mobile 6.1 phones.

Froyo isnt all that great either (performance wise) on the N1 but since the Samsung has better hardware, I hope this changes everything.

Last edited:
Whatever, I talk shit about the iphone 4 as well when i had it. I am no fanboi of any system or OS and I for one will post flaws.

I have the iphone 4, Captivate and N1 with Froyo to play with during my dayjob (webmaster).
snip
snip

I went to the Android after owning the iphone 4 because People rave about how much faster and smoother the android is over the iPhone 4. Thats all bullshit. The Android system is STILL stuttery, laggy and glitchy. Sure, its snappy most of the time but its VERY inconsistent. Screen is fucking unresponsive at most of the time and its a pain to have to tap the screen multiple times. I even played with the EVO and its no different. How many OS update and hardware releases is it going to take to get these phones to be on par with the iphone 4? People who say the Captivate is snappy and smooth is comparing it to the iphone 3GS and Windows Mobile 6.1 phones.

Froyo isnt all that great either on the N1 but since the Samsung has better hardware, I hope this changes everything.

The Captivate can be ridiculously fast, but it requires ditching TouchWiz and doing a couple of tweaks. It will also get a nice boost when Froyo comes around for it. However, no Android phones will seem as smooth as iPhones right now. There's a reason for that. The entire iPhone UI is GPU accelerated, whereas the Android UI is not. Fortunately, the next Android release, which is scheduled to be completed in October, will have a GPU accelerated UI. Then Android phones will be just as smooth as iPhones. This has always been the one thing I missed from iOS. The butter smoothness. But once Android has it, iOS won't have jack on Android in my book.

Last edited:
anyone able to get the update for their EVO's yet. i've checked on mine a couple times this morning and do not see any updates.

They didn't say when the manual update will be available. I hope it's before the weekend.

I keep going to Settings; system update; HTC software update; check now; and it says "There are no updates available for your phone."

:(

I thought Engadget had in their article something about eager users that want it right away can go to the HTC website on their phone and try it from there ? Will get it faster ?

I keep going to Settings; system update; HTC software update; check now; and it says "There are no updates available for your phone."

:(

I thought Engadget had in their article something about eager users that want it right away can go to the HTC website on their phone and try it from there ? Will get it faster ?

i'm doing the same thing. that wasn't engadget that said that it was sprint in their press release. they didn't say when the eager people could get it. just before the OTA update. so it could even be monday before we get it.

Froyo isnt all that great either (performance wise) on the N1 but since the Samsung has better hardware, I hope this changes everything.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone in my life rave about how much faster Android is than iOS (gay name hate typing it). My Captivate is plenty fast, rooted, no ATT bloatware, and running LauncherPro. People with iPhones drool over my phone :p

Never said you were a fanboi, just said you seemed to have already made up your mind.
I rarely hear anyone talking about how much faster Android is within the UI itself. Most of the "speed" stuff comments come from loading applications or running the browsers.

See the way you curse and rant about how "stuttery, laggy and glitchy" the Android system is when the majority of people (even iPhone fanatics) don't seem to agree for the most part it just...I don't know makes me think either you went into Android looking for it not to be good or just ran into horrible luck with your devices.

In any case you obviously hate Android at this point, so go back to the iPhone and stay there....it's not that hard.

I've read that Verizon will push its official Froyo update to their Droid phones (Incredible, X, original Droid) from August 6 - 15. My guess is that's the timeframe for other carriers, as well. I've tried installing the leaked version, but my un-rooted Inc bricks every time I try to update the radio. I hope the official release doesn't cause this problem.

Last edited:
i got 2.2 on my evo the browser is much faster and the ui is smoother

so fuck off apple trolls

Link w. Detailed instructions are on ppcgeeks n Android central...

Don't have to back up contacts, texts, or apps

Loving it so far

if you run the update off your sdcard i recommend doing a factory reset after you update. It just makes the phone run smoother in my opinon

Back