billtaco

n00b
EVGO GTX480 2way sli vs. XFX 5970
which one is better
dont think about the cost
which one has the better performace
XFX version 5970 OC up to 980 Mhz???
terrible but which one is better
by the way GTX 480 3 way sli is valuable ????

EVGO GTX480 2way sli vs. XFX 5970
which one is better
dont think about the cost
which one has the better performace
XFX version 5970 OC up to 980 Mhz???
terrible but which one is better
by the way GTX 480 3 way sli is valuable ????

www.guru3d.com

Website has some SLI benchmarks etc.

the 480 GTX's in SLI are faster period, but it is pointless going 480 GTX in SLI to play at 1920X1200 or even 2560X1600. Some benchmarks are CPU bound....

Good Luck :)

oho~~~
u mean in the high resolusion (1920 or 2500...)
the key is CPU ????
and if XFX 5970 OC up to 980 ??
will it be equal or better than 480 sli???

oho~~~
u mean in the high resolusion (1920 or 2500...)
the key is CPU ????
and if XFX 5970 OC up to 980 ??
will it be equal or better than 480 sli???

Your question doesn't make sense.

1) XFX doesn't guarantee a 980 core OC on the 5970.
2) The Nvidia GTX 480s will overclock too. So any gain you'd get from overclocking the ATI solution would be matched by the Nvidia solution.
3) At stock, GTX 480 SLI flat out beats a single 5970. As for the OC scenario, see above.
4) At stock, the 5970 has noise advantage over the GTX480s, but that advantage slips away once you get into heavy overclocks.
5) Are you talking about the XFX 5970 2GB or the 4GB version? Because the 2GB one comes stock clocked at 725mhz, and the 4GB one comes factory OC at 900 mhz.

Why are you comparing a dual-card solution against a single-card solution that only costs 2/3rds as much?

For the price of GTX480 SLI you could get 5970+5870 and do Triple-Crossfire. Unless you're on some PoS 775 nvidia board (my condolences) then just about any board that can do 480 SLI will be able to do 5970+5870.

The 5970 by itself is a great solution for people that don't have crossfire capable motherboards, a situation where nvidia doesn't currently have anything that can compete. If you have two slots to work with, there are better options.

The key to the answer to this question is still outstanding and that's 3D and Surround. Not wanting to get into another debate over the lateness of Surround but we really need to know how well the multi-monitor multi-GPU situations compare before making a final judgment. Hopefully Surround will be here within the next few weeks but who knows?

At any rate the effectiveness of Surround will either make or continue to break the GTX 4XX series.

Two 5870s are better than a 5970. This is a waste of time.
I continue to lol at these 480 SLI vs 5970(5850 CF) comparisons.

The key to the answer to this question is still outstanding and that's 3D and Surround. Not wanting to get into another debate over the lateness of Surround but we really need to know how well the multi-monitor multi-GPU situations compare before making a final judgment. Hopefully Surround will be here within the next few weeks but who knows?

At any rate the effectiveness of Surround will either make or continue to break the GTX 4XX series.

NV said end of june

Correct and saying that this feature will make or break the gtx series is ridicolous...like it was such a huger % of the market doing 3 monitor gaming...come on now...

For the price of GTX480 SLI you could get 5970+5870 and do Triple-Crossfire. Unless you're on some PoS 775 nvidia board (my condolences) then just about any board that can do 480 SLI will be able to do 5970+5870.

I had this before. 2x GTX 480 stomps the trifire at 2560. There are some games where the trifire will show a higher average, but both setups can average high enough so the average isn't that important. The SLI is a lot smoother in the vast majority of games and the trifire hits the 1GB memory wall a lot more often than you'd expect...the overhead from using three cards probably exacerbates the problem. Basically if you want to play Dirt 2 at 180 fps instead of 165 fps, go trifire. If you want to be able to max every single slider in GTA IV and not have the game be a slideshow, go SLI. Also, at 2560 when you start using 8xAA, the SLI will actually get higher averages most of the time and make the tradeoff moot.

I had this before. 2x GTX 480 stomps the trifire at 2560. There are some games where the trifire will show a higher average, but both setups can average high enough so the average isn't that important. The SLI is a lot smoother in the vast majority of games and the trifire hits the 1GB memory wall a lot more often than you'd expect...the overhead from using three cards probably exacerbates the problem. Basically if you want to play Dirt 2 at 180 fps instead of 165 fps, go trifire. If you want to be able to max every single slider in GTA IV and not have the game be a slideshow, go SLI. Also, at 2560 when you start using 8xAA, the SLI will actually get higher averages most of the time and make the tradeoff moot.

you are smoking something that no one is right here..

when in the world did GTX 480 SLI stomp tri-fire? If you crank up insane AA to blow up VRAM, surely it will. but without those kind of condition, NO WAY... its the opposite. tire-fire will STOMP hard to the GTX 480 SLI.. there are plenty of reviews out there shows that.

btw, if you really want to talk about VRAM, go for 5870 2GB CF instead.. ;)

you are smoking something that no one is right here..

when in the world did GTX 480 SLI stomp tri-fire? If you crank up insane AA to blow up VRAM, surely it will. but without those kind of condition, NO WAY... its the opposite. tire-fire will STOMP hard to the GTX 480 SLI.. there are plenty of reviews out there shows that.

btw, if you really want to talk about VRAM, go for 5870 2GB CF instead.. ;)

Sorry noob, I have actually OWNED both setups and the 480s are a vastly better experience at high resolutions. Come back and talk after you've actually tried them out instead of making guesses about how you think they might perform. If the trifire was better I would have kept it. I guess if I really want to talk about VRAM that is unnecessary, I could go for 2GB 5870s. But for the same price, I'd rather go for the faster card with better features instead of an extra .5 GB of VRAM that never gets used. Let's put it this way...there are TONS of games that did not play well at all on trifire at 2560 with even 4x AA. They're all silky smooth on the 480s. In fact, the only game they don't do well in is BFBC2, and they were pretty good in that before the patch screwed up nvidia cards. Since there are "plenty" of reviews out there, show me some that compare 5970+5870 trifire to a pair of 480s.

Sorry noob, I have actually OWNED both setups and the 480s are a vastly better experience at high resolutions. Come back and talk after you've actually tried them out instead of making guesses about how you think they might perform. If the trifire was better I would have kept it. I guess if I really want to talk about VRAM that is unnecessary, I could go for 2GB 5870s. But for the same price, I'd rather go for the faster card with better features instead of an extra .5 GB of VRAM that never gets used. Let's put it this way...there are TONS of games that did not play well at all on trifire at 2560 with even 4x AA. They're all silky smooth on the 480s. In fact, the only game they don't do well in is BFBC2, and they were pretty good in that before the patch screwed up nvidia cards. Since there are "plenty" of reviews out there, show me some that compare 5970+5870 trifire to a pair of 480s.

uh huh..

come back when you finish your magic pot, because every statement you make in this does not make sense from top to bottom..

the review shows the opposite of what you are saying, and I believe there are several link posted by some other users..go find it yourself.. :rolleyes:

btw, personal insult does not make you look stronger or better talker... kiddy...

I can hardly see the logic on preferring 3 monitors where you still experience 3D games in 2D compared to seeing the world in 3D but to each its own...unless you meant 3 x 3D monitors ;)

Umm because it's not real 3D, it's like a one of those pop-up books, everything is the same level of "3d" there is no proper depth etc. Maybe for some games it works OK, but not worth it to me.

and yes I've tried it.

Last edited:
uh huh..

come back when you finish your magic pot, because every statement you make in this does not make sense from top to bottom..

the review shows the opposite of what you are saying, and I believe there are several link posted by some other users..go find it yourself.. :rolleyes:

btw, personal insult does not make you look stronger or better talker... kiddy...

Where is "THE" review? Links or gtfo. I've never seen a review compare 5970+5870 trifire overclocked to a pair of overclocked 480s, so all there is to go in is user experience. If you're going to quote reviews that don't exist, you deserve ridicule.

Why don't you ask gerardfraser why he sold his 5970+5850 trifire setup.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035519986&postcount=216

This guy didn't seem very happy with the trifire either:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035591663&postcount=83

And yet another person experiencing bad performance:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035585390&postcount=9

But I guess the trifire is the better setup because you want it to be, right? There are impressions like this all over the internet, I know because I read up heavily before switching cards. You, having neither owned the competing setups nor read any reviews comparing them, are completely unqualified to have any opinion on how they stack up against each other.

Where is "THE" review? Links or gtfo. I've never seen a review compare 5970+5870 trifire overclocked to a pair of overclocked 480s, so all there is to go in is user experience. If you're going to quote reviews that don't exist, you deserve ridicule.

But I guess the trifire is the better setup because you want it to be, right? There are impressions like this all over the internet, I know because I read up heavily before switching cards. You, having neither owned the competing setups nor read any reviews comparing them, are completely unqualified to have any opinion on how they stack up against each other.

no, it's better because the only review comparing them shows it to be better, tri-sli doesn't scale so well ATM, tri-fire scales better.

I actually used 5870 tri-fire for about a week or so before I got my 480 setup, I have no clue what in the world is these guys unsatisfying for. or maybe 5970+5870 is different.. don't know..

also, If you consider two famous troller and fanboy to be part of a good "opinion" or "source", I don't know what to say. As you can see one got banned the other just disappear... :p
that is even worse than giving your own opinion..
its like saying goldentiger is a very reliable source... full of it... :rolleyes:

Tri-Crossfire here. 5970+5870, both at 1000/1200 while gaming, 900/1200 for the rest.

Can't remember the last time I got a BSOD/GSOD/crash/freeze in the last 6 months.

Totally satisfied.

Tri-Crossfire here. 5970+5870, both at 1000/1200 while gaming, 900/1200 for the rest.

Can't remember the last time I got a BSOD/GSOD/crash/freeze in the last 6 months.

Totally satisfied.

What happens when you try to max GTA IV?

I'd rather go for the faster card with better features instead of an extra .5 GB of VRAM that never gets used.

So basically, get a 5970 instead of a GTX480? I agree.

But I guess the trifire is the better setup because you want it to be, right?

Which would put him on par with all of the proof you've posted to back up your position.

Here is the link btw:
http://translate.googleusercontent....&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhj8LhTh9RCzPmVstQN2KnABcdb8Jg

Notice how the Tri-Fire setup shits all over the GTX480 SLI? Yeah I noticed that too.

So basically, get a 5970 instead of a GTX480? I agree.

Which would put him on par with all of the proof you've posted to back up your position.

Here is the link btw:
http://translate.googleusercontent....&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhj8LhTh9RCzPmVstQN2KnABcdb8Jg

Notice how the Tri-Fire setup shits all over the GTX480 SLI? Yeah I noticed that too.

I noticed that you STILL don't have a review comparing SLI to a 5970+5870. Three 5870 is not the same.

I also noticed that despite this, TWO 480s destroy THREE 5870s in Far Cry 2 at 2560.

I also noticed that they didn't test Metro 2033 at 2560, probably because the 5XXX series can't even be graphed. Oh, and who cares about HAWX either (which I can tell you stutters like a bitch in some levels on a 5870+5970).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,2585-12.html

Lastly, I noticed that overall, the games they tested were not stressful.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=23132&page=5

Do you think adding another 5870 to the 5970 is going to suddenly make it jump from 17 to 32 fps so the trifire could compete with 2 way sli? ROFL.

Back