Evga6800gt AGP Overclocking Adventures with Thermalright V1

I just got the new Thermalright V1 heatsink/fan for my evga 6800gt. Here's my quick down and dirty on it......

When it was completely stock, I could only achieve an overclock of 400/1100.

After installing the Thermalright V1, I could only achieve overclock of 406/1120. It's very funny how I was able to overclock the memory higher without using any ramsinks (i discovered the included ramsinks after installation of the V1). Obviously the stock reference cooler does not do a good job of cooling the ddr3 memory.

I then modded my stock bios and raised the gpu vcore from 1.3v to 1.4v and then reflashed my bios using nvflash uitility and my overclock went up to an amazing 432/1120!!! I am not done testing. But so far all my games and 3dmark05/03 work perfect. One strange thing is that when I try to run 3dmark01se, the card locks up before the test even starts and the screen turns funny colours... I have to manual restart the computer every time. It seems that this is the only program that will not run no matter what. :D

Gawd dammit, I hate Thermaltake. When I see Thermalright, I sometimes think I see thermaltake, then think, "Grrr, why the hell did you get that?!" well, along those lines anyway.

What sort of temps are you getting with the new cooler?

I get 47celsius idle temps. I don't know what kind of load temps i'm getting yet. It looks like it would be in line with this review over at system cooling.... http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_v1-05.html

Just going by my idle temps. I get idle of 47celsius - system cooling gets idle temp of 48celsius. Therefore load temps are probably around the same.

Back