EVGA Z77 FTW or Asus Maximus V Formula

genkifd

Limp Gawd
i know these two boards are coming out very soon.

but which would you pick?

for myself evga pros: dual ethernet, extra pci-e slot. down side: tiny fan on the mb.
Pros for Asus: incorporates wc.

evga hasnt had any great raps about there previous mb.

It's a toss up between the two, each having it's own special niche.

FTW:
4-way SLI/Crossfire
Dual supplementary 6-pin PCIe connectors
90° 24-pin ATX connector
Tons of USB 2.0 ports
Dual 8-pin EPS12V connectors
Dual Gigabit NICs
Triple BIOS

Formula:
ATX form factor
2-way SLI & 3-way Crossfire (I'm guessing)
Dedicated sound card
Liquid cooled chipset
UEFI BIOS
Intel Gigabit NIC
mPCIe combo slot

thats the thing.

what about reliablilty - i know they both havent been released but based on their previous gen board?

i know these two boards are coming out very soon.

but which would you pick?

for myself evga pros: dual ethernet, extra pci-e slot. down side: tiny fan on the mb.
Pros for Asus: incorporates wc.

evga hasnt had any great raps about there previous mb.

I like my EVGA p67 SLI board. It's been great. I won't buy Asus anymore. Too many hassles.

what are the hassle of the Asus you are talking about?

i heard that the evga bios wasnt that great but problably just rumours.

in addition to the information provided: the evga mb is also EATX while Asus is ATX. but this doesnt bother me as i have the Cosmos 2 which caters for eatx mb

what are the hassle of the Asus you are talking about?

i heard that the evga bios wasnt that great but problably just rumours.

in addition to the information provided: the evga mb is also EATX while Asus is ATX. but this doesnt bother me as i have the Cosmos 2 which caters for eatx mb

Asus has absolutly awful support. EVGA on the other hand has some very good words said about their support all around.

actually i ve heard great support for evga gpu, this is why i am intended to purchase the GTX 680 FTW 4gb.

ok sounds like EVGA mb is the way to go. i believe these new boards have been shipped to store so we should start seeing review this week. cant wait.

thanks guys.

FTW is going to be released next week

Formula ...god knows when (raja said we'll get more info /release date maybe after june 4th ,when Computex starts)

EVGA if you are planning on doing 3 way (or more) SLI/CFX
For everything else i prefer the asus

actually only plan to run dual gpus however the dual lan is import as a number of components are connected (streaming etc.). but support is probably the most important.

hopefully reviews will start coming out today. as i know that evga has sent this board to the retailers late last week.

actually got contact with the Australian distributer and he provided a good update in regards to EVGA motherboards and gpus. pitty he wouldnt reveal any prices.

actually got contact with the Australian distributer and he provided a good update in regards to EVGA motherboards and gpus. pitty he wouldnt reveal any prices.

MSRP to pre-order the EVGA Z77 FTW on EVGA's site is $329.99 USD so tack on like $100 USD or so and that will be the price you get charged in Australia.

yeh we get ripped here in various parts such as mb, gpus and ram.but generally all other parts the prices are very close to the US and weird enough sometimes cheaper.

yeh we get ripped here in various parts such as mb, gpus and ram.but generally all other parts the prices are very close to the US and weird enough sometimes cheaper.

because Asia is closer to Australia than US

it looks like Z77 FTW release date has been pushed back

ohh well Formula is going to be announced in less than a week

I don't know, the EVGA FTW just isn't lighting a fire under me for some reason. Much prefer the Asus offering.

hopefully within 2 weeks - and more importantly available in Australia.

I would like to know the differences between these boards. Like what Internet controller both use, stuff like that that can help me decide. How is EVGAs bios compared to Asus, anything like that.

Someone get a pro and con list going and add the MSI Z77 Big Bang too when info gets released. Perhaps the Sniper 3 as well.

Last edited:
After seeing that MSI Big Bang Z77 MPower, I want!! Will match that MSI N680GTX Lightning with a nice black with yellow stripped theme. However, that is based on looks only. And the fact that the MSI N580GTX Lightning I owned was super sweet. Less sure if the MSI Big Bang mobos are as good as the Asus ROG mobos.

On second thought, that Asus Maximus V Formula link was pretty sweet looking too!!! Is Asus making all in one water CPU coolers now? Or is that pic a serving suggestion like strawberrys with my cereal?

On second thought, that Asus Maximus V Formula link was pretty sweet looking too!!! Is Asus making all in one water CPU coolers now? Or is that pic a serving suggestion like strawberrys with my cereal?

Nah, they're just adverting the MOSFET cooler as having WCing barbs so you can integrate it into a loop without a need for 3rd party board specific blocks. Great move by Asus. Ya look closely, they have an EK CPU block in that press release.

I do wish Asus would knock off the BS of "X-FI XX" on board....they don't, the boards use generic ALC 8XX DAC hardware that every motherboard on earth has, with a software overlay in Windows Media Player. Least that is what they did on MaximusIV and V Gene. They even go as far as to put a sticker over the DAC chip on the motherboard, to obscure that the board is in fact using an ALC audio chip and nothing at all fancy.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered the EVGA board. ASUS haven't made any announcements yet and I'm not willing to wait anymore. The only thing that I don't like about the EVGA board is the little fan that comes with it but hopefully I'll be able to replace it with a heatsink. That tiny fan is nothing but dust collector and esthetically unpleasant.

Nah, they're just adverting the MOSFET cooler as having WCing barbs so you can integrate it into a loop without a need for 3rd party board specific blocks. Great move by Asus. Ya look closely, they have an EK CPU block in that press release.

I do wish Asus would knock off the BS of "X-FI XX" on board....they don't, the boards use generic ALC 8XX DAC hardware that every motherboard on earth has, with a software overlay in Windows Media Player. Least that is what they did on MaximusIV and V Gene. They even go as far as to put a sticker over the DAC chip on the motherboard, to obscure that the board is in fact using an ALC audio chip and nothing at all fancy.

I have to say meh about the mosfet cooler. Asus is making the same mistake Gigabyte did, and making the barbs non-removable (as far as I can tell). It's using 3/8" barbs, which screws over those of us using 1/2" ID tubing.

Back