EVGA Z68 board not recognizing hdds

buschman31

2[H]4U
I had gotten this board 2-3yrs back and i thought it wasnt working. But i just popped in an i5-3570k processor and voila it comes on. But the problem is that it wont recognize any of the hdd's that have windows on it and it goes straight to the bios screen.

z68 board

can anyone tell me what is wrong and what i need to change in the bios?

I had gotten this board 2-3yrs back and i thought it wasnt working. But i just popped in an i5-3570k processor and voila it comes on. But the problem is that it wont recognize any of the hdd's that have windows on it and it goes straight to the bios screen.

z68 board

can anyone tell me what is wrong and what i need to change in the bios?
If they are MBR they need to have CSM enabled. If they are UEFI you need to disable it. Make sure the bios is up to date as well.

one problem is how do i enable CSM on the board? or disable the uefi?

also would i have any problems selling the board currently like it is? I really dont need anymore computer stuff.

one problem is how do i enable CSM on the board? or disable the uefi?

also would i have any problems selling the board currently like it is? I really dont need anymore computer stuff.
in the bios somewhere, enable legacy or csm, its sometime labeled different between brands. rtfm if you have to...
yes, if i saw a "for sale, cant get sata ports working" id pass in an instant.

in the bios somewhere, enable legacy or csm, its sometime labeled different between brands. rtfm if you have to...
yes, if i saw a "for sale, cant get sata ports working" id pass in an instant.
Agreed, you would have to sell "for parts/not working" if SATA ports don't appear to work.

ok i got the board to recognize a drive by selecting gen1 instead of gen2 or 3 under sata connections. but the board still wont boot into windows.

ok i got the board to recognize a drive by selecting gen1 instead of gen2 or 3 under sata connections. but the board still wont boot into windows.
with a fresh install or random ol drives youre hoping will boot?
if old, you have to match what bios and boot type it was using before, legacy vs uefi etc.
ps: having to drop to gen1 sounds like there is a board problem, like a failing chipset....

ok let me see if it will see the drives as gen 2 and 3

after changing it will recognize it as gen 2 on the red sata ports and regular sata ports

Last edited:
ok i tried to use my usb windows install stick to setup windows on a harddrive and just went it about to go to the windows screen the board reboots itself. ok think i'm done with this board. its just too much

I've actually had the SATA controller on a board fail before. Not sure why, but ultimately I just bought a new SATA controller, which is pretty cheap these days. Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PRRQ41J/

No reason to junk the entire board if everything else still works.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back