eVGA X58 SLI Classified released

$449... wowzers!:eek: I remember when the best mobo's in the world weren't over $300... I also remember the best video card in the world being branded as "too expensive" at $300... What a world we live in today...

Give it 6 months plus, and the price will come down, any issues will be addressed and better Bios version will mature this new mobo. Then I will look into it

This mb is way too expensive!!!
I would instead invest my money into a better graphic card, monitor or SSD!

For what you get the motherboard is only mildly overpriced
it is of course for people looking to get the absolute maximum out of the there PC, so they are willing to spend anything

three times the amount of normal gold content in the CPU socket and much, much more.

The EVGA X58 Classified motherboard is engineered for those who demand more than just the best!

lol, I'm sure that extra gold means extra fast! :p Clearly if your mobo isn't bling-bling enough then your computer sucks!

$449... wowzers!:eek: I remember when the best mobo's in the world weren't over $300... I also remember the best video card in the world being branded as "too expensive" at $300... What a world we live in today...

i remember when they were $100 and less. abit bx6, bh6, be6, asus p2b and p3b, soyo sva series and dfi bf2 infinity. the first $200 board i got was abit k7 something max3, the first $300 board i got was asus p5w dh deluxe. havent gotten a $400 board yet.

I admit it is pricey but I'm 80% sure I'm getting this board over a Asus P6T6 WS Revolution. The upside for both boards looks well for me & my needs for the next two to three years.

:eek::p:eek: /Check's his shorts/ wow that is a lof but if it preforms well then you know as well as I do that people will pay the price. I usualy wait for the board to go into a few BIOS's before purchasing since I don't like being a BETA tester for free.

KM

i remember when they were $100 and less. abit bx6, bh6, be6, asus p2b and p3b, soyo sva series and dfi bf2 infinity. the first $200 board i got was abit k7 something max3, the first $300 board i got was asus p5w dh deluxe. havent gotten a $400 board yet.

I remember when gas was only 82cents a gallon. Boards of the past had nowhere near the features boards we buy now do.

Anand reviewed this and found the greatest benefits (and really the only tangible ones) are for those who will use sub-zero cooling for their processor overclocking. They said that for air, and even most water cooling that the cheaper EVGA performs just about on par, for a lot less. But people who can afford all that sub-zero equipment and maintenance can likely afford the premium, and for people like that, this board will really shine.

I am not one of them, but I have a friend who is going to buy one. He barely watercools. I told him it won't do him any extra good, but he just wants the "best" this time, and he likes the looks and the chipset cooling a lot better on the "classified." I told him he's crazy, but it's what he wants, and I know he can afford it, so to each his own...

Imagine paying $2500 for a video card back in 1993, and then spending $650 more for a 345meg hard drive and 8Mb. The software for that card was almost 100megs (came on about 40 floppies) so I had to add a second hard drive and up the ram. 120MB and 345MB drives and 14MB of ram.
this was so I could run Lightwave 3D V3.0 on my Amiga 3000.

I am a very frugal buyer now and hardly buy the latest or greatest, but that eVGA Classified is a good looking motherboard.

Anand reviewed this and found the greatest benefits (and really the only tangible ones) are for those who will use sub-zero cooling for their processor overclocking. They said that for air, and even most water cooling that the cheaper EVGA performs just about on par, for a lot less. But people who can afford all that sub-zero equipment and maintenance can likely afford the premium, and for people like that, this board will really shine.

I am not one of them, but I have a friend who is going to buy one. He barely watercools. I told him it won't do him any extra good, but he just wants the "best" this time, and he likes the looks and the chipset cooling a lot better on the "classified." I told him he's crazy, but it's what he wants, and I know he can afford it, so to each his own...

Well the other reason is if you want to run tri-sli on air with a dedicated 1slot physx card and a sound card. You cant stuff that many cards onto the normal x58 without single slot watercooling blocks. Which if you factor in the cost of watercooling 3 285s, its actually cheaper just to buy the classified and stick with air.

Give it 6 months plus, and the price will come down, any issues will be addressed and better Bios version will mature this new mobo. Then I will look into it

But by that time EVGA will be releasing news about some newer/greater MOBO.. ;)

The board looks really good. I like the layout for the most part. The only thing lacking from the looks of it is the poor placement of the onboard power and reset buttons. Otherwise, very solid looking.

I had the Step-up for this board from my X58 SLI plain MB.

I decided to bite and yesterday got my step-up notice.

I imagine that in about 10 days or so I'll have it up and running.
Once I do, I plan to get some sort of data together and post it up.

I'm not that hard core to need half of what this board has to offer, but I liked the layout just a little better than what I have now, and might be able to squeeze a bit more from my 920.

We'll have to see.

Regarding the placement of the onboard power and reset buttons, they provide a small card and cable with those buttons and an led readout. I think they figured most people who would be using all the slots on this board would be unable to use the original buttons.

Also waiting for the final steps of my step up to complete, received the email yesterday. have a stack of watercooling supplies waiting for a new home.

The board looks really good. I like the layout for the most part. The only thing lacking from the looks of it is the poor placement of the onboard power and reset buttons. Otherwise, very solid looking.

How soon will we be seeing the review? ;)

How soon will we be seeing the review? ;)

I don't know. I haven't received a sample of that board. I don't know that I will. I don't know what Kyle has planned going forward and I don't know what Morry has on his bench right now.

I remember when gas was only 82cents a gallon. Boards of the past had nowhere near the features boards we buy now do.

I'm actually really sick of all the extra "features". I don't care about the price. I'd pay this and more for a board that didn't have the extra BS like IDE, audio, extra SATA controllers, floppy (although I don't think the classified does, a lot still do) and so on.

I don't understand why no one makes a high quality purist board.

I'm actually really sick of all the extra "features". I don't care about the price. I'd pay this and more for a board that didn't have the extra BS like IDE, audio, extra SATA controllers, floppy (although I don't think the classified does, a lot still do) and so on.

I don't understand why no one makes a high quality purist board.

Well I'd like to see a board that is based on performance alone that doesn't include any extra BS. I want quality 16 phase power, digital PWM's, EFI and dual BIOS support. (Identical to the implementation on the Rampage II Extreme.) Just give me 6 SATA ports and I'll add more if I need them. I would like eSATA though. Audio, LAN etc. I don't need it. However, for the higher end machines, especially multi-GPU equipped machines, this wouldn't work in reality. The ATX specification is far too out dated and it is less than ideal for having that many cards in a modern system. Remember, when ATX was designed, there weren't any dual slot cooling solutions on cards at the time. So it was possible back then to use all seven slots, IRQ restrictions not withstanding.

Well I'd like to see a board that is based on performance alone that doesn't include any extra BS. I want quality 16 phase power, digital PWM's, EFI and dual BIOS support. (Identical to the implementation on the Rampage II Extreme.) Just give me 6 SATA ports and I'll add more if I need them. I would like eSATA though. Audio, LAN etc. I don't need it. However, for the higher end machines, especially multi-GPU equipped machines, this wouldn't work in reality. The ATX specification is far too out dated and it is less than ideal for having that many cards in a modern system. Remember, when ATX was designed, there weren't any dual slot cooling solutions on cards at the time. So it was possible back then to use all seven slots, IRQ restrictions not withstanding.

I see what you're saying. If a board had no BS on it, we'd need cards for Lan, Audio, sata, in addition to GPU and if you've got more than one GPU there's simply not enough physical room without watercooling.

Bummer. Well, if someone did it, I'd buy 10 right away.

I thought my Asus Rampage Formula @ $170 used was pricey :eek:
$450 for a mobo... damn, can it take i7 to 5GHz haha

LOL "classified"

Your bank statement will have to be "classified" from your wife after blowing nearly $500 on a motherboard. :p

I thought my Asus Rampage Formula @ $170 used was pricey :eek:
$450 for a mobo... damn, can it take i7 to 5GHz haha

With sub zero cooling, such as LN, this board is supposed to rock. The benefits are less pronounced when merely air cooling. If you're going to air-cool only, it's questionable whether you should buy this or not. Anand says get one of the $300 boards for pretty much the same performance on air.

450.00 Dollars fora MB, Thats rediculous even if it has gold plated pins

I don't understand the hate here. With everything onboard these days, the motherboard is arguably the most important single piece of equipment (tied with PS in my book though). Shouldn't it be the highest quality and inevitably come with the highest price tag?

It's not like it's the only board on the block either.

It's like buying a Ferrari, you don't pay $100,000 for the body and toss a $1,000 chevy engine in it...

Let's face it - it's an elitest board. It's worth it for the layout alone - tri sli with an 1x slot for sound. If you don't need tri sli with an extra 1x pcie for sound or don't have a bottle of LN2 and are going suicide benchmark crazy - this isn't for you. Maybe sometimes people just look at the price and scoff. It's a triple sli or benchmark queen board - not for the mainstreamers.

Wow 450 is a little bit excessive. I mean for 250 you can get a board that is just as good.

Wow 450 is a little bit excessive. I mean for 250 you can get a board that is just as good.
wrong.. sort of
this board is designed for people using extreme cooling.. and for that its an absolute beast.. but yes for air cooling and average watercooling it is excessive.

Let's face it - it's an elitest board. It's worth it for the layout alone - tri sli with an 1x slot for sound. If you don't need tri sli with an extra 1x pcie for sound or don't have a bottle of LN2 and are going suicide benchmark crazy - this isn't for you. Maybe sometimes people just look at the price and scoff. It's a triple sli or benchmark queen board - not for the mainstreamers.

Agreed.

I wouldn't know if this thing was worth it or not without actually using one.

Early reports from some of the guys at EVGA show the NB running over 80C at stock.

I'm going to sit back and wait until my board shown up to pass judgement.

But one guy had to take the HS off, redo the TIM and mount a fan......that just plain sucks for the price.

I beginning to think no one at evga tested this board at retail specs before they threw it out the door.......they were too busy with their LN or whatever to look at this.:eek::eek:

Early reports from some of the guys at EVGA show the NB running over 80C at stock.

I'm going to sit back and wait until my board shown up to pass judgement.

But one guy had to take the HS off, redo the TIM and mount a fan......that just plain sucks for the price.

I beginning to think no one at evga tested this board at retail specs before they threw it out the door.......they were too busy with their LN or whatever to look at this.:eek::eek:

I agree, I think they were to busy trying to break OC records to get more people to buy this.

BTW Dan whats your current setup??

Case: Silverstone TJ-09
PSU: Thermaltake Tough Power 1200watt
CPU: 2x Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775's @ 3.6GHz w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme's
Motherboard: Intel D5400XS (1149 BIOS)
RAM: 4x 2GB (8GB Total) Crucial DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 FB-DIMMs
Video Card(s): 3x BFG Technologies Geforce GTX 280 OC (3-Way SLI)
Hard Drive(s): Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB (Had two in RAID 0, one died.)
Optical Drive(s): Samsung SATA DVD-R/RW
Monitor: Dell 3007WFP 30" LCD
Keyboard: Deck Ice Legend
Mouse: Logitech G9

I'd upgrade if I had a compelling reason to do so. The Geforce GTX 295's don't provide enough of a gain in Quad-SLI over my Geforce GTX 280 3-Way SLI setup if any gain is seen at all. The Core i7 would be faster in games for sure, but again, not worth the cost for me. Plus I have quite a few VM's running on this box and I think having 8 physical cores is probably better than 4 cores with HT would be for that. I'd have the CPUs running at 4.0GHz but since upgrading to 8GB of RAM, the system becomes unstable at 4.0GHz. 3.6GHz is the highest stable overclock I could really get. Of course I have Virtualization Technology enabled and other processor features as well since I use them.

I have thought about building a new Core i7 box for gaming and then swapping my current server for the box listed above.

Nice rig man, yeah the skulltrail would make a nice move over as a running server.

EVGA is really starting to disappoint me between this board and their "new" NIC cards that no one should be buying.

Nice rig man, yeah the skulltrail would make a nice move over as a running server.

It would but right now my gaming performance is excellent so I am not really compelled to upgrade. Especially since there aren't any new games out that I'm dying to play. I've been spending more of my fun money on guns lately anyway. Technically those are a better investment since they don't depreciate like computer hardware does.

I agree, thats why I got rid of most of my stuff as I am happy with my current setup. Not to mention I have mountain legal bills, rent, new living expenses and whatnot.

Back