EVGA X58, i7-920 CPU, 6GB Corsair XMS3 - bad motherboard, what next?

Dave88LX

n00b
I built a system around the following parts a few years back. I believe my motherboard is bad based on this thread here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1870628&highlight=

I'm mostly certain my CPU and RAM is still OK. I want to get this going again without having to purchase everything over, as it's a more-than-capable machine for what I was using it for. Sadly another X58 motherboard is like $150+ buy-it-now on eBay.

What would be my best course-of-action/replacement for this motherboard?

Second question: Has built-in RAID. I have two 40GB Intel SSDs in RAID striping as the primary drive loaded pretty much only with OS/programs. Is there a way to get this working and have the hard drives function as they were, or am I looking at starting over with those? Not a huge deal if not.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, any MB replacing from the X58 chipset will be costly. Most used and even NEW boards are selling for a lot from eBay and even other venues. I have a dead EVGA X58 SLI3 MB sitting here also.

Selling the 920 is also not going to get back a lot of money, they sell for around $40-50 on eBay and other places.

IMO, your best options is to start fresh with a new board, chip and memory.
The questions really is what do you plan to do with this machine, this way other can point you in the better direction of what's best.

Yeah I was surprised at how much they were going for still! I was thinking I might have to do that, new chip and board; wasn't sure if the memory could be re-used or not (backwards compatibility or anything). Just hate to waste these parts.

Are there other LGA1366 boards out there half-way decent? I may check the classifieds just to see.

It's not a gaming rig, although I play games once in a while on it. Nothing crazy. Just general use machine. It would "probably" run OK with inexpensive components.

X58 boards are selling for a premium because of Xeon 6 core compatibility, it's also why the old core i7 cpu's like your 920 goes for under $30. If your board is done then the best coarse of action would probably be upgrading to a newer platform, z97 with haswell would be your best bet unless you want to buy expensive ddr4 with x99 or skylake.

*The ddr3 from your x58 system could be used with z97, but I'm sure you have a triple channel kit and you would loose out on one stick. Might be best to sell the ram, triple channel kits still sell well, and get a new dual channel kit for the upgrade.

I wish I'd revisited this site and caught your message/PM. Not sure if you are still active around here but replied to your PM.

Amazed that LGA 1366 boards are still so much. Hard to pull the trigger on one of those boards.

I wish I'd revisited this site and caught your message/PM. Not sure if you are still active around here but replied to your PM.

Amazed that LGA 1366 boards are still so much. Hard to pull the trigger on one of those boards.
Yup, I recently just some mine for about $150 which can't be far off from what I paid for it in 2009. The 6-core Xeons are compatible with them and very, very cheap right now. It's a popular combo.

You could sell what you have and look at this thread if you still need something. Personally I would just start fresh with a modern platform. You can at least be sure it will last you a long time that way.

That's just so crazy that a board that old can still fetch that much. Curios, what would a comparable new board for these chips run, or is there not one? Or is it a price:performance thing?

OP I just went from your exact same setup to at z170 a 970 gpu and a 6600k and I wont look back... youll be amazed well worth the money paid.

I have an awesome HP Z600 workstation at work with 2x six core x5670 xeons and 48GB ECC ram. Amazing unit.

Back