EVGA Warranty Troubles!

Drewis

Limp Gawd
Having nothing but trouble with EVGA within the past year. This is just one example I am currently dealing with now. I am not sure it is because I am in Canada? I hear of people getting free video card upgrades and such if none are in stock etc..

I personally have had nothing but issues with my last 2 RMA's. First one is a long story involving a PSU that took over a month, (largely due to improper packaging/shipping by EVGA) the second is described right here.

If interested please give it a read and let me know what you think. I have been an EVGA customer since 2008 and have bought numerous second hand market products bearing their name as well!

https://forums.evga.com/Denied-warranty-PCB-DAMAGE-No-damage-whatsoever-m2795623.aspx#2795669

This is why I buy everything with my Amazon black card, or my Discover Card if I am not sure I will keep something... I am not sure how you paid for the items, but you can always try the CC company...

I am sure mining has kicked most manufactures in the nuts, giving them the sense to stamp denied on everything that they can justify, its not like they're running out of customers any time soon.

The whole card and heatsink is bent and the tamper sticker over one of the screws is broken. I don't understand your explanation for these issues.

Theres more to it:

The sticker did that on its own as well about 2-3 months in, I believe I said that in the EVGA forum post. The brand 'new' card from EVGA they gave me in return (cross ship) the sticker was already broken out of the box.

Yeah, my thinking is the VRM's overheated possibly the fans stopped and warped the plastic therefore warping the card. If you look closely you can see to the top right of the heatsink where the plastic has flexed. My only guess is to why this happened was overheating.

Also: I sent these EXACT pictures while on the phone with evga BEFORE the RMA process was started. This was all done on the phone. The tech looked at the photos and approved the cross ship RMA while speaking to me and viewing the photos at the same time.

Sorry, I took a better look at the pictures now by opening each in a new tab and then I could get a better look. At first glance that broken tamper sticker made it look like the screw had turned. Now that I have a better view I can see that it looks like the sticker just melted. I also don't see any screwdriver damage to the sticker in the center either. Overheating could melt the sticker and warp the card. That does make sense.
Yeah, I'd keep fighting if I were you, and tell them to look at the center of that screw.

Hard to know for sure what caused the bending. As overheating wouldn't cause it to bend like that. Takes both heat and force to bend a PCB and heatsink. Although weight could've bent it.

I RMAd a 1080 gtx about a year ago and they sent me a refurbished card that was bent. I emailed them the same day I got it and they expedited me a new one.

Really do hate to say this, but I'd have to side with EVGA on this one. If you got it with a broken EVGA sticker, I would've emailed EVGA the same day. However, you did not and you kept the card and if it did develop bending like you said, its hard for EVGA to know whether or not you took the card apart to water cool etc..

But this is just my personal opinion. Please don't take it personal!

If it was the issue that others had with there being no thermal pads on the plate over the VRM, it most certainly can cause that plate to warp and bend the PCB in the process.

I also had a pump go out on one of my 1080ti hybrids. I got an RMA since I knew what was wrong and sent it in. A week or so a new one arrived. Easy peasy!
That thing is warped to hell. I have not seen a card do that. It should throttle down like mine did.

yeah and the thing is, these cards were the models that were having VRM issues, IIRC

No it didnt warp after crashing; I just kept getting blue screens or random reboots, its a secondary computer so i dont use it all the time... but i would go to turn it on and i could tell it rebooted...not from windows update...

changed psu, didnt help, blah blah

after changing out psu once or twice yup.... saw it

i also read the windows error logs and yup... they were all video errors.

why i didnt fucking realize to look at THE ACTUAL VIDEO CARD i have no clue.

for sure

and itsfunny theyre not debating the fact that i didnt take it apart they just said NOPE lol

Another symptom of the new policy of turning the fans off until some ridiculous temp is achieved on the GPU, ignoring the VRM all together. You should not have to run software in the background to keep the card cool, and you can't flash the VBIOIS on these newer cards at all, to set your desired fan curves.

I removed the fans and shroud from my 1060, and put a bracket with two 120mm fans below it, fans that are set to max 24/7 at 1000rpm. They are more quiet than my case and rad fans by far. The back of the card at the VRM was getting so hot it would burn my finger under heavy load. Now it barely gets warm. Some of these cards are hitting well over the rated 100c on a constant basis on the VRM, it's silly not to address the issue.

I hate to see all these pasts about EVGA dropping the ball recently, hoping I don't have any issues with my 1060.

EVGA has really gone downhill. Just recently helped a friend go through the same trouble. He paid for the cross shipping and when they received his card they smeared what looked like vasoline all over the card and stated they wouldn't accept it and would keep his payment. He presented them with the pictures of the card prior to shipment without that crap all over it support was adamant they were refusing service. So I helped him with filing a dispute with his credit card to get his money back and we're waiting for EVGA's response to the charge back.

Back