EVGA Trade-up to 7900gt!

0zymandias

Weaksauce
Just incase someone who recently bought an evga 7800gt (me, *cough*) or similar card and didn't know about this here it is:

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp

You can "step-up" your old card to a newer one within 90 days of purchase and have what you paid for the card you are stepping up from deducted from the cost of the new card. The only fee is shipping and handling. There is no cross-ship which kind of sucks but it's made up for the fact that I don't feel like I shot myself in the foot by buying a 7800gt days before the 7900gt comes out. EVGA just rocks.

I'm looking forward to buying your 7800's from their RMA discount section.. woot.

Fyi, the "step up" doesnt really save much money if any. Actually id bet you end up paying more. Heh. Its cheaper to sell the 7800gt and just buy a newer one for cheaper than their price. It sounds good, but their MSRP prices are usually about $50 or more higher than what you can get it for at monarch/newegg/zipzoomfly so...

Shhhhhhhh....

Let um trade it in..
Evga sells their rma cards cheap.

the msrp is not higher than the etailers like before. The 79GT is 299.99. so, the only thing you lose is time. If you could find a buyer for a 78gt for 285 then i say do that. If not, then i say go with the step up.

Retsam said:
Fyi, the "step up" doesnt really save much money if any. Actually id bet you end up paying more. Heh. Its cheaper to sell the 7800gt and just buy a newer one for cheaper than their price. It sounds good, but their MSRP prices are usually about $50 or more higher than what you can get it for at monarch/newegg/zipzoomfly so...

not if you bought the EVGA combo deal

bought EVGA 7800GT at Tiger Direct for $359.99, included free NF41 mobo, which is invoiced as free, $0 and 7800GT as $359.99, so i get $359.99 credit for my 7800GT, which means i get a 7900GT for the $15 shipping cost, basically a free upgrade

the only thing i am slightly worried about, is according to my count, from Dec. 9th (my 7800GT purchase date) to Mar. 9th is exactly 91 days.........but it still entered me into the step up queue, i bet you even if i end up having to call and talk nice i still can get it upgraded,,,,,it's not like i could do it again anyways, it would be a one time one day exception to "keep a loyal EVGA customer", i bet thats how it goes, if they even try to question it

Nice! i just did my step up from a 6800GS, but the 7900GT's are backordered.

Two questions:

has anyone dealt with an EVGA step-up backorder before? Is it really WEEKS?

This card is slightly faster than a 7800GTX right?

There is only a CO and CO SE right? Those were the only two 7900GT's in the step up, which one is the 299$ one?

lloose said:
Shhhhhhhh....

Let um trade it in..
Evga sells their rma cards cheap.

I didn't see a link on their site to buy RMA'd cards. Where do you get them?

I had my card mid-rma with evga since it arrived from new-egg broken. I cancelled the rma and will return it to newegg for a refund. I already ordered the 7900gt from newegg. I think I'll end up paying maybe 40 dollars for the upgrade, since the 7800gt is almost exactly the same price as the 7900gt. 40 bucks for maybe 15-20% performance jump is quite the deal. A year from now when I decide to get a second one for sli they should be dirt cheap too.

"This card is slightly faster than a 7800GTX right?

There is only a CO and CO SE right? Those were the only two 7900GT's in the step up, which one is the 299$ one?"

Slightly faster. Very slightly. It uses less power, runs cooler, is cheaper, and runs quieter.

The 2 up there are CO and CO SE. The 300 dollar one is the CO. (You can tell from the clocks, Stock is 450, CO is 500, CO SE is 550. I wish I knew with CO and SE stood for, cause I haven't a clue. EVGA doesn't have their prices up yet, so I assume you got the 300 dollar part from newegg or something. I decided to return my other card and buy a new 7900 because I don't trust EVGAs prices on the website for the step-up. The other cards I looked at are all priced 100-150 dollars more than a retailer like newegg.

0zymandias said:
"This card is slightly faster than a 7800GTX right?

There is only a CO and CO SE right? Those were the only two 7900GT's in the step up, which one is the 299$ one?"

Slightly faster. Very slightly. It uses less power, runs cooler, is cheaper, and runs quieter.

The 2 up there are CO and CO SE. The 300 dollar one is the CO. (You can tell from the clocks, Stock is 450, CO is 500, CO SE is 550. I wish I knew with CO and SE stood for, cause I haven't a clue. EVGA doesn't have their prices up yet, so I assume you got the 300 dollar part from newegg or something. I decided to return my other card and buy a new 7900 because I don't trust EVGAs prices on the website for the step-up. The other cards I looked at are all priced 100-150 dollars more than a retailer like newegg.

Well eVGA's prices are MSRP. They arent a retail store, they always sell for MSRP of the model #. So whatever the MSRP of the 7900 is, thats what itll be.

the prices they had for the old cards were launch prices. what you see today is what there msrp will be. thats how it was with the 6800 and 7800 cards.

i bought the 7800gt co 516ax version from ZZF for $291 free shipping on 1/29/06.

i figure ill apply for a stepup around the 3rd week of april.

i checked out the evga site but the prices on the 7900 cards are not shown and they are all backordered.

can anyone recommend which card i should stepup to?

I am in the same spot. I paid $280 for my evga 7800GT on 12/21, so I got a little over a week or 2 to step up. Anyone know the prices yet and which one is the best value to step up to...

I bought my 7800gt 12/1 :(

Just missed the 90 day window.... oh well, time to see what I can get for it on ebay :mad:

Awww no :( Is there anyway I can find the serial number of my card besides the sticker? I bought this card about 5 weeks ago.

Just entered the queue for the superclocked 7900 last night. Will probably be waiting a bit, I guess, but oh well.

The serial number is on the sticker on the back of the retail box as well. If you don't have the box, you're gonna have to pay a pretty big restocking fee and that could kill some of the value of the step up deal...

Even if the MSRP is a bit more than the etailers are selling them for, it still saves the hassle and uncertainty of having to sell a card on ebay, and it is a cool program that no one else has yet.

just got in queue for the 7900 GT CO... Didnt go for the super clocked one, probably should have

Question I've got is that I've change the cooling solution on the card and if I take it off and put back on the old one, will I be fine? Their website says my warranty isn't voided when I change cooling solutions.

enlightenedby42 said:
Just entered the queue for the superclocked 7900 last night. Will probably be waiting a bit, I guess, but oh well.

The serial number is on the sticker on the back of the retail box as well. If you don't have the box, you're gonna have to pay a pretty big restocking fee and that could kill some of the value of the step up deal...

Even if the MSRP is a bit more than the etailers are selling them for, it still saves the hassle and uncertainty of having to sell a card on ebay, and it is a cool program that no one else has yet.

I don't have my box and I got the mobo+video card deal for $350. So is the 15% on the total price of the new card, or on the difference you pay to step up. I was reading the FAQ and I'm not sure which it applies to. If its on the difference, thats like 15% of $25 which isn't that bad, but if its 15% of $370 than that wold probably deter me from stepping up. Anyone know?

ViriiK said:
Question I've got is that I've change the cooling solution on the card and if I take it off and put back on the old one, will I be fine? Their website says my warranty isn't voided when I change cooling solutions.

yes, as long as it is not physically damaged and works like it did originally, you are fine, just make sure to test it after re-installing the stock cooler

SuX0rz said:
I don't have my box and I got the mobo+video card deal for $350. So is the 15% on the total price of the new card, or on the difference you pay to step up. I was reading the FAQ and I'm not sure which it applies to. If its on the difference, thats like 15% of $25 which isn't that bad, but if its 15% of $370 than that wold probably deter me from stepping up. Anyone know?

it's 15% of the original purchase price, sorry

nobody_here said:
yes, as long as it is not physically damaged and works like it did originally, you are fine, just make sure to test it after re-installing the stock cooler

it's 15% of the original purchase price, sorry

I called eVGA up and they said that if you have everything but the box, they won't charge you the entire 15%. He said it would be more like $10 extra in my case. The 15% is mostly there for those who only have the video card and not the cables, disks, documentation, etc.

SuX0rz said:
I called eVGA up and they said that if you have everything but the box, they won't charge you the entire 15%. He said it would be more like $10 extra in my case. The 15% is mostly there for those who only have the video card and not the cables, disks, documentation, etc.

cool! EVGA tech support is very cool, my original 7800GT combo purchase date was Dec 9th 2005, March 9th 2006 was 91 days later, i called them up and they said a "few days grace period is typical" and that i would "have no problem stepping up to a 7900GT"

Back