EVGA to make a Dark line Motherboard for AMD

Not really. I had some bad experiences with EVGA motherboards. I generally stay away.
The last one I used was an X58 model, I honestly can't remember if there was anything wrong with. I only recall really loving that PC.

Not really. I had some bad experiences with EVGA motherboards. I generally stay away.

I've had largely good ones. I think that they generally make fairly good stuff and don't throw in a lot of crap that you don't need/won't use. However they are also very plain. The problems I've had with them were large problems related to 680i/780i/790i chipsets being a hot mess in generally, but that's not their fault.

I've had largely good ones. I think that they generally make fairly good stuff and don't throw in a lot of crap that you don't need/won't use. However they are also very plain. The problems I've had with them were large problems related to 680i/780i/790i chipsets being a hot mess in generally, but that's not their fault.
The famed 680i chipset. Man what a headache.

The last one I used was an X58 model, I honestly can't remember if there was anything wrong with. I only recall really loving that PC.

My issue was with a bios update that bricked the board. All things being equal, I would take an Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI board over an EVGA.

I like the evga boards if nothing else for the peace of mind if I fry it oc’ing they’re replace it without issue. (However unlikely that is to occur)

Not too shocked to be honest. Get in while you can! I would be way more shocked if they made AMD GPU's.

Late and being a Dark board, most probably it will be 4-500$+. And from past models not sure it will have all the bells and whistles of the competition.

In my mind, if I had to choose in that price range, I'd pick the known quantity Asus Crosshair Dark Hero or something like that over an unknown EVGA Dark personally.

The famed 680i chipset. Man what a headache.
Yerp
My issue was with a bios update that bricked the board. All things being equal, I would take an Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI board over an EVGA.
My experience has been entirely the opposite. I've had issues with ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, before. I haven't had issues with EVGA, intel, or abit, and two of those do not make boards anymore.
In my mind, if I had to choose in that price range, I'd pick the known quantity Asus Crosshair Dark Hero or something like that over an unknown EVGA Dark personally.
I've had enough issues with ASUS ROG boards to be leery of them them over the years. I also don't mind lacking all the bells and whistles. I find a lot of that falls into just bling, or crap I wasn't going to use anyways.

I do like ASUS WS line of boards though.

I've had enough issues with ASUS ROG boards to be leery of them them over the years. I also don't mind lacking all the bells and whistles. I find a lot of that falls into just bling, or crap I wasn't going to use anyways.

I do like ASUS WS line of boards though.
I agree with that, however when you're paying the same or more money, for less features, at least for me, it's a problem.

However, more options for AMD are a good sign.

It needs features. Since the average user isnt overclocking ryzen to 5ghz. A nice onboard audio, front usb C would be nice.

It needs features. Since the average user isnt overclocking ryzen to 5ghz. A nice onboard audio, front usb C would be nice.
Front C I'll give you. Onboard audio, no such thing as nice there (even though EVGA does have their own souped up solution here). And let's be honest here, the sort of people who are paying through the teeth for a motherboard are going external DAC usually anyways. Even the best onboard audio is still bleh. Onboard audio is fine as a backup. But for actual use people are using DACs, speakers with a DAC in them, receivers and other items.

I agree with that, however when you're paying the same or more money, for less features, at least for me, it's a problem.

However, more options for AMD are a good sign.
Leaving out features like RGB lights all over it and that there's stuff you use and then there is stuff you do not. Also these EVGA boards do not cost as much as some of the higher end ASUS + MSI ones that get over 600 bucks to well near a grand.

There's a larger issue where performance is really all the same outside of edge benchmarking so it's companies throw the kitchen sink at things. RGB is a personal matter but looking at the rest it's a weird situation. Nobody who's benchmarking is using all those m.2 slots, gobs of sata ports, wifi, onboard audio, whatever. And for the people on the "enthusiast" side of things who would buy it. Those builds don't really use all those things either. It's either nonsensical (4x m.2 slots and gobs of SATA) or it's something that nobody who could afford the board would use to start with (onboard audio).

I'd rather pay for something that's overbuilt for what I need than pay even more for something that's overbuilt and also comes with a bunch of crap I don't need and won't use.

Reliability and compatibility are going to rule the day. These CPUs are lightning fast out of the box with not much OC headroom. All they really need is a board that behaves like a mature product. Hopefully that's what EVGA will be able to deliver.

Very interesting eVGA is getting back into the motherboard game with AMD at this time. I too bought a motherboard from eVGA in 2007. It was a (remember this?) nVIDIA nForce 590 chipset motherboard. It was DOA when I got it and I got a different board to complete my build at that time. Would I buy from eVGA again on their motherboard product line? Sure. It's been so long ago I imagine the next board I get from them someday will be on point, work right out of the box and be stable. Out!

I'm going to say it was a z68 board that I was flashing for Ivy Bridge support that bricked. I used a z370 classified that worked fine.
gotcha. On most of their boards this isnt an issue anymore as they have bios switches. Its saved me as i had a bios go corrupt. Flip the switch to the other bios, booted to windows and then flipped the switch back to the bios and flash it and it was good to go. EVGAs regular boards are kinda meh. The Dark boards are designed by a completely different person and are pretty solid. It was the same back in the day as well. Classifieds being the exception as they were done by Shamino with his last board being the X58 Classified.

Last edited:
gotcha. On most of their boards this isnt an issue anymore as they have bios switches. Its saved me as i had a bios go corrupt. Flip the switch to the other bios, booted to windows and then flipped the switch back to the bios and flash it and it was good to go. EVGAs regular boards are kinda meh. The Dark boards are designed by a completely different person and are pretty solid.

I don't remember ever using a Dark board, but maybe I'd be tempted to give it a try pending reviews.

I'm pretty sure this was the board that gave me problems. Even NE had middling reviews.

Meh, kind of way late to the game, I will stick with my Asus Dark Hero.

It's probably going to be an x570(S) board. So it's not that late.

1629924134477.png

Asus has another line of x570 boards coming out also i wonder if they plan to make 1 more cpu series for the am4 socket or they just trying to milk every last dime out of it lol.

Asus has another line of x570 boards coming out also i wonder if they plan to make 1 more cpu series for the am4 socket or they just trying to milk every last dime out of it lol.
Ive heard alot of speculation that there would be another round of xt cpus but nothing official. With the x570s mbs releasing it might spur sales a bit.
Evga Dark is going to be purricey.

Ive heard alot of speculation that there would be another round of xt cpus but nothing official. With the x570s mbs releasing it might spur sales a bit.
Evga Dark is going to be purricey.
from what i read also all the new asus boards with have the addative overclocking like the dark hero does right now so know knows gota be a reason they dumping lots more money into them.

Back