EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified Power Supply Review - EVGA did not want to send us one of its 1500W PSU beasts to review, so we went out and bought the $450 behemoth so we could put it through the HardOCP PSU grinder. EVGA clearly states that NEX1500 PSU is all about "no compromises," but we suggest that compromises are exactly what you will be making; more than a few too.

I wonder, how that thing works with European power requirements and the 230v efficiency. Maybe, just maybe if it can be oc'ed only with our voltage, it means that it has better results with efficiency, and it is primarily configured for EU market. Which would however mean that its something wrong with EVGA and they try to sell wrong units on your side of pond.

I believe that some companies should just stay at what they are good at. I can understand the need of expanding business - Corsair or Gigabyte done that really good, but if you start making flops like that PSU, you customers may be afraid of buying core products

And it seems EVGA knows its fishy product, as they didn't want to send it to review. Seems they would send it to a bogus site, where reviews can be bought, but were afraid of real tests at H.

One of the most entertaining reviews I have read here for a long while. Very well written. A stark reminder that top dollar will not necessarily buy you top performance.

Ha and TechPowerUp gave it a 9.3

LINK

Nice review. I feel bad for anyone who actually forked over the coin for this paper weight.

Ha and TechPowerUp gave it a 9.3

LINK

Nice review. I feel bad for anyone who actually forked over the coin for this paper weight.

The major difference in voltage regulation results might be a huge indicator of QC at EVGA... just speculation. But the fact that it flat out failed a test... definitely didn't expect that.

And some of the pros on TPU were seen as cons for [H].

Nice write-up.
I spit out my coffee at the top ten list for the 90s.......I hate coffee in my nose.

Anyway, the only thing I would have to say in EVGAs defense is they do attempt to up the "cool factor" in giving you individually sleeved cables.....but as Paul says, this works if you make them yourself custom or have someone make them for you.......random lengths are really difficult to hide and work with.

And Corsair already beat them to the punch on this with their sleeved cable kits for their AX units......which are standard length and come in several colors.:D

EVGA should stick to their 14 different varieties of the GTX 680 and let someone else sell PSUs.

Is it possible you got a bad unit? Im shocked that it did this poorly

Is it possible you got a bad unit? Im shocked that it did this poorly

EVGA declining to send a review unit out says volumes.

This one is for sale and should work.......well.......I'd love to hear that RMA conversation......

"So what is the problem today sir?"

" Well, where should I start?":eek::eek:

My standard high wattage power supply rant:

From the torture test: To deliver 1480W the unit must suck down 1709W or 14.4A at 120VAC. UL specs 12A continuous power over a standard "15A" line. In addition to Failing [H]ard tests, this unit would likely fail UL tests for fire safety.

At these power levels expect to make some [H]ard choices (other than not using the junk under review). You will likely need some sort of non-standard outlet (20A, or maybe 230V) or something involving two power supplies and two different breaker lines (my favorite, but will require a bit of hardware hacking to get around the ATX controls).

Wow I didn't see that coming! It appears EVGA should only stick to video cards. There motherboards suffer from poor quality lately also. Had there first Classified motherboard which worked well but since then they have gone downhill. Great review as always,

This may sound harsh, but to me this show on EVGA not giving a toss instead hoping consumers will be ignorant enough to purchase their products whilst at the same time hoping reviewers will be bought with some of their free hardware, with the underlying understanding of course, that it will be followed with reviewers praising their products.

Stunts like these have me as a consumer walk the other way. Yeah, I know their graphics cards are first class. But still.

Ninja edit:
No mounting screws included? Seriously? Either Paul got lost in that massive box or someone over at EVGA need to contact their budget department and request the unit be shipped with four mounting screws. :)

While the NEX 1500 is generally underwhelming, and failed to deliver on its promises from the get go.. this has to be by far the worst performing sample of all tested thus far (by relevant sources anyway).

Cool write up Paul!

If you want to buy it, I will cut you a deal. :) We have no more use for it. Send me a PM with an offer.

First im not really defending evga and this PSU. but im more curious if you got a bad unit. this is really the only really negative review on this PSU i have seen.

johny guru has more exp reviewing PSU and he didnt even rate it this bad. 8.4 out of 10

so thats why i brought up maybe they got a bummed unit. personally i would like to see them RMA it and try it again.

just my opinion on this review.

oh wow

" wait, does that say I have to register to get my product to work right?"

you have got to be kidding me

I didn't think that the [H]orde mowing the EVGA Folding@Home team would get the company pissed off to the point of not sending a PSU for review. :D

Now about that label...

Completely unexpected, wow!

Definitely noted, this is shockingly bad. Evga had to know what kind of product they were shipping and should have canceled and reevaluated the product. Pure speculation, but it sounds like a "management" decision...

johny guru has more exp reviewing PSU and he didnt even rate it this bad. 8.4 out of 10

Actually I wrote it, not Jon, and no I don't. Paul started doing PSU reviews before I did IIRC.

As for the review... I've had some people tell me I went too easy on the NEX. Especially given that one of my samples was DOA, and when fixed it still gave me ripple anomalies like the first one did.

First im not really defending evga and this PSU. but im more curious if you got a bad unit. this is really the only really negative review on this PSU i have seen.

I hear what you are saying, but I personally do not think the PSU is a "bad unit." We spent $450 on a unit just like you would and showed our results. I am not going to spend $2000 on power supplies to see if a flagship unit out of retail gets "any better."

Great review. Glad my SilverStone 1500w is holding up very well on my gaming sig system. Sad to hear their power supply didn't live up to the hype / price.

SuperFAIL. Glad to see nothing was held back against a brand that normally has a decent reputation around here.

After my last purchases of the X79 Classified and the NEX 1500W, I will tell you one thing: The only item I will consider getting from EVGA from now until I turn to dust will be a graphics card.

8x12v rails? Large enough red flag right there. Anyone needing big juice for their rig knows single rail is the way to go.

Awesome review. I wish it had bust into flame. I miss the bursting into flame reviews.

Reviewer: ZOMNG! why all these individually sleeved cables? It is TEH DUMBZ!
[H] mods forum user: LOOK AT MY BAD ASS SLEEVED CABLES! IT RAWKS!

8x12v rails? Large enough red flag right there. Anyone needing big juice for their rig knows single rail is the way to go.

But it has EIGHT rails. and EIGHT is bigger than ONE! :D

Looks like this thing was designed by marketing.

After my last purchases of the X79 Classified and the NEX 1500W, I will tell you one thing: The only item I will consider getting from EVGA from now until I turn to dust will be a graphics card.

THIS. I bought two evga mainboards. Total garbage. Why yes, I would love a screaming 40mm fan on my chipset because you suck at thermal management. Why, of course a paper thin PCB that flexes like a post-it note is a WONDERFUL feature. Sure, stick that molex power connector is a weird spot. Why do I need that again? Oh my, that clutter around the CPU socket is awesome, I love not being able it install half the coolers on the market.

Good graphics adapters. That's it.

I think the fact that eVGA did not want to send you a sample speaks volumes about their product.

But it has EIGHT rails. and EIGHT is bigger than ONE! :D

Looks like this thing was designed by marketing.

Marketing is one thing Evga does better than most. They could put their name on a turd and market it and people would still buy it. Turd can also be exchanged with NEX1500

Maybe, like certain eVGA boards it just work properly with selected components. I remember reading, when I was chooisng mobo, that they had memory and PSU booting problems. So maybe their PSU is not compatible with the your machine? :D :D :D

Bummer that it sucks. I think it looks great and I personally love the cables, but I have the means to hide them/need them long for routing. EVGA has been losing a lot of cred recently, they have had nothing but problems with their x79 and Z77 motherboards and the bios. And a lot of people including my self have had defective 680 FTW(non reference) cards. But I do own a 580 and 680 Classified card, along with an older 780i motherboard.

But I would not buy a motherboard from them, not after reading the issues in the forums. They do have kick ass warranty and customer service. When my 580 Super clock died after about 10 months, they replaced it with a 580 Classified, and even called me on the phone to confirm that it was okay to send me a different card than what I had.

I have to chime in and agree with a couple other users who have commented on this PSU. (Or these 1.5kw PSU's in general)

You really should be looking at multiple PSU's with different mains inputs instead of these massive 1.5kw units that will over current the typical 120v home outlet if actually used at the rated 1.5kw output.

Back