EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Audible Click When Turns On or Off

When I shut my computer on/off my Power Supply gives off an audible click. I've never had a power supply that's done that before but then my previous PSU was a 6 year old Corsair so what do I know? Is this normal behavior or should I start screaming bloody murder at my retailer for a replacement?

Nim

When I shut my computer on/off my Power Supply gives off an audible click. I've never had a power supply that's done that before but then my previous PSU was a 6 year old Corsair so what do I know? Is this normal behavior or should I start screaming bloody murder at my retailer for a replacement?
Nim

I've had the same "click" sound with my Thermaltake EVO Blue2 650watt ( http://www.thermaltake.com/Power_Su...Blue/C_00001927/EVO_BLUE_2_0_650W_/design.htm ).
I'm pretty sure it's nothing to worry about since 1) i used it for about 1 year and never had a problem with my pc and 2) I think it's related with the "fan delay cool technology" that Thermaltake advertises for it's PSU (*not sure about your PSU though )

EDIT: At my PSU i noticed this sound only when it was shutting down, not when turning ON like yours.

That's actually a good indication that you have a fairly high quality unit. It's some sort of power relay and it is found on Active PFC (power fluctuation control?) PSUs. My seasonic does this as well. I've long since grown used to the relay click sound from high quality sound components like amplifiers and even some sound cards, and I find it comforting.

yeah several of my PSU do that click sound when turning ON and OFF.. My 3 actual Machines one with Corsair HX850, one with Cooler master Silent PRO M2 720, and Cooler master Silent PRO M2 620 make the click sound.

Most Gold and better units use a relay to short the NTC thermistor for a small efficiency gain. Totally normal behavior, and if you replace it the next one will click too.

Back