eVGA Supernova 16OOw P+ $199

I'm not sure if I care in the slightest, because I'm already running 3 power cables for this 3080 Ti, and it's fine. Sure you see some cable up front, but overall I would say it's relatively under control.

My 1200W has been hooked up for a few days and working fine so far. I expected it to be louder, but it's really not. Then again I have an aquarium running in the same room to begin with. The next time I will be looking at a PSU purchase will likely be several years down the road. I just hope the adapters are competent.
Fair enough but it’s not just about what you see up front, these free with GPU adapters are short so they make you run 3x8pin and then try to mask them behind your case, so for many cases this means it’s actually hard to close the case. I have a Corsair Crystal 680X with a back compartment and it was even clogged up with cables when using the Nvidia FE adapter.

The EVGA and Corsair adapters are much nicer, they have the 8-pin combine into one cable very close to the PSU so there’s only 12-pin for most of the run. It makes a huge difference in cable routing and overall tidiness. The downside is there adapters to the PSU are keyed to each mfg.

Also make sure to get the PerFE cable while it’s on sale, $15 with free shipping.

https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-NK-3000-B9

Keep in mind however for a GPU that pulls over 375W this PerFE adapter will be running out of spec. EVGA recommends and approves it even for their own 3090Ti which can pull 450+W but it is over spec for PCIE slot + 2x8-pin which is 75+150+150W, part of the reason for the rumored delays on the 3090Ti FE as it breached the 450W threshold and Nvidia didn’t feel comfortable running that much over spec on the existing cable. 3090Ti adapter is 3x8-pin vs 3090 being 2x8-pin.

I'm in for the 850 P6. Really wanted to splurge on the 1600 P2, it's a helluva deal but found it hard to justify considering my modest power requirements.

rhkcommander959 - I used your associate's code for an additional $12 off. Thanks for sharing.

I'm in for the 850 P6. Really wanted to splurge on the 1600 P2, it's a helluva deal but found it hard to justify considering my modest power requirements.

rhkcommander959 - I used your associate's code for an additional $12 off. Thanks for sharing.
Happy to help!

Looks like EVGA is putting a bunch on sale so there's plenty of other options, a friend snagged a 1200W themselves.

$180 shipped with an associate code, I guess mine is 93O5ZVPJ782UKRD , I don't know if I get anything for sharing it but it'll save you $20 bucks maybe, or google around for another code?

I got the P+ over the P2 because the eco switch is externally mounted, and the P+ is cheaper and smaller. Might be FSP but I've had good luck with their higher ends in the past.

Thanks for posting!
Used your card to buy the PSU, much thanks!

For anyone who cares, most PSUs including these have optimal efficiency at half load which would be 800W

So yeah you may not need 1600w, but running 800w is a lot less taxing and more efficient for the hardware versus a 1000w running at 800W
This is the key factor here IMO (assuming good psu quality), glad to see someone thinking that way.

😀

Attachments

• 3F60A0D6-824A-4809-BB51-5A30B77AAAA7.jpeg
    3F60A0D6-824A-4809-BB51-5A30B77AAAA7.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 0
SG6LFX7LRLICR2Y - had this associate code saved somehow in my account and it took -$20 off the order.

Thanks for the link, needed one of these to be ready for a 4090 as well. My Seasonic Prime 1200W died and couldn't get any kind of replacement (purchased new RMA unit from a member here and they don't warranty those on resale).

Great deal, thanks for the heads up. I noticed all the PSU's were on sale so I had to put some extra thought into it. The 1600W P+ is a better value, but I ordered the 1300W P+ instead.The 1300 P+ has a better fan, and I doubt I'd ever put that extra 300W to use. The PSU fan is the only fan I can't turn off when my PC is idling, so I can appreciate when they're quieter. The fan in my older EVGA 650W G2 was the first thing to act up on me (got really squeeky).

EDIT: On second thought, after seeing forum users complaining that the 1300W P+ has coil whine, I had to rethink my decision. Also noticed a series of 1-star reviews of the 1600W P+ citing coil whine. I'm beginning to think these are not quite the deal as I originally thought, or at least if you don't want to gamble with coil whine (a gamble I always lose).

Last edited:
Reactions: DF-1
like this
Great deal, thanks for the heads up. I noticed all the PSU's were on sale so I had to put some extra thought into it. The 1600W P+ is a better value, but I ordered the 1300W P+ instead.The 1300 P+ has a better fan, and I doubt I'd ever put that extra 300W to use. The PSU fan is the only fan I can't turn off when my PC is idling, so I can appreciate when they're quieter. The fan in my older EVGA 650W G2 was the first thing to act up on me (got really squeeky).

EDIT: On second thought, after seeing forum users complaining that the 1300W P+ has coil whine, I had to rethink my decision. Also noticed a series of 1-star reviews of the 1600W P+ citing coil whine. I'm beginning to think these are not quite the deal as I originally thought, or at least if you don't want to gamble with coil whine (a gamble I always lose).
That's what warranty is for. EVERY electronic part is going to have a % of issues no matter the QC testing. I had major coil wine on a top tier corsair PSU. A few bad ones aint the norm. If you have 10 people with good ones and 10 people with bad ones, you will only hear about the bad ones.

Last edited:
The 1600P2 looks like a great deal as well, even if it is 30 dollars more than the 1600P+. I have been really happy with my 1000T2 (much quieter than my original 1000G2 that didn’t have the hybrid fan mode).

Might be worth it to go for the “older” series for peace of mind. Wish I could justify ordering one!

Hoping it's quiet... Reading some noise complaints on the lower wattage ones? :( Major reason I bit was that I figured it'd be low noise at half load while still being able to power a future card (I have a 3080 10gb at the moment).

Hoping it's quiet... Reading some noise complaints on the lower wattage ones? :( Major reason I bit was that I figured it'd be low noise at half load while still being able to power a future card (I have a 3080 10gb at the moment).
Most likely the only time the fan will come on will be while gaming/benching. Even then your unlikely to hear it over your other gear.
I don't remember ever hearing the fan on my 1300 G2.

Most likely the only time the fan will come on will be while gaming/benching. Even then your unlikely to hear it over your other gear.
I don't remember ever hearing the fan on my 1300 G2.
Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. I'll post back once I've installed it.

you guys all need to stop It's tempting me to buy a 1600 but I'm not gonna give in!!!
I know. I'm on a Corsair 1000RM that's doing great with my 3090, but it's tempting to upgrade knowing that I'll be able to run the supposedly power-sucking 4080/4090 with tons of headroom.

Well, it took a week to arrive via ground shipping. I didn't install it yet but I'm thinking of returning it unopened because of evga pulling out of the gpu business.

I'm worried they won't be around in case of a warranty issue in a few years due to that. Any thoughts? It's still unopened so I wouldn't be hit with a restock fee, just return shipping.

Well, it took a week to arrive via ground shipping. I didn't install it yet but I'm thinking of returning it unopened because of evga pulling out of the gpu business.

I'm worried they won't be around in case of a warranty issue in a few years due to that. Any thoughts? It's still unopened so I wouldn't be hit with a restock fee, just return shipping.
The shipping isn’t going to be super cheap due to the weight of the PSU I’d imagine. I’d agree about the uncertainty about EVGA’s future. Their attempts to diversify from their core business hasn’t been as successful as say, Corsair which started out selling RAM, but they’re pretty much synonymous with everything in a PC except GPU, CPU and motherboards nowadays.

Beyond that there’s been a few articles regarding PCIE 5.0 12VHPWR adapters not balancing load evenly and running way over-spec in general, along with the micro spikes in power draw in the 40 series. As I mentioned previously I’m personally waiting for the new PSUs to upgrade my 1200WP2 as I think a 1200-1300W ATX 3.0 PSU is going to be equivalent to a 1600W ATX 2.0 PSU when it comes to handling 12VHPWR GPUs.

Yeah, chizow, I was originally figuring I could just use an adapter but I'm also concerned having seen what you did on that. I almost refused the package but decided I'd accept it. Then I saw the adapter info, and now their news of exiting the gpu business has me concerned further... I wonder how big a hit I'd take shipping it back UPS ground cross country... :(.

Yeah, chizow, I was originally figuring I could just use an adapter but I'm also concerned having seen what you did on that. I almost refused the package but decided I'd accept it. Then I saw the adapter info, and now their news of exiting the gpu business has me concerned further... I wonder how big a hit I'd take shipping it back UPS ground cross country... :(.
Worth checking UPS or FedEx ground rates, as long as the box isn’t oversized it’ll probably be around $20 or so now that fuel prices have come down so much. Also FedEx just reported a brutal quarter and removed future guidance so they may have reduced rates to try and increase volume.

I don't think it's an issue personally. PSU's usually fail early or well after the warranty period is over

I'm chillin instigator. Thanks for the pointless advice. Anything else?
Interesting you're so mighty you think someone asking your opinion is instigating... :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I'm still curious on the adapter situation. Do we think they'll make 4x 8pin ones? I'm not sure what the return time frame I'd for me... It shipped 2 weeks ago today but it only arrived one ago. Is the 14 days from when I received it?

Interesting you're so mighty you think someone asking your opinion is instigating... :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I'm still curious on the adapter situation. Do we think they'll make 4x 8pin ones? I'm not sure what the return time frame I'd for me... It shipped 2 weeks ago today but it only arrived one ago. Is the 14 days from when I received it?
First you instigate and then you troll. Interesting how you don't realize when you instigate and then troll pointlessly lol you are one heck of a mighty troll to keep trolling for no reason at all over a lel

Back